NickF's RSM C130

NickF

Hi All,

It's been a while since my last post, I've been struggling with bad cyano for the past couple of months. It was pretty much all over the tank, even on the glass (when I scraped if off it just made things worse as it spread even more.) I tried increasing my water changes to twice a week & reduced the lights to 5 hours per day, but it didn't make much difference. I was trying to syphon it up as soon as it appeared but it just kept coming back, it was really getting on my nerves :cursin: Anyway I decided to not touch it for a week & let it build up, then I scooped it up off the top of the sand and within a couple of days it had almost completely gone !
Its been a couple of weeks now and it's not come back so the lights are back upto 10 hours (coral very happy about this) & I'm back on weekly water changes. I had a big rockslide when I was trying to syphon the cyano at the back of the tank & I couldn't for the life of me put them back as they were & I'd knocked most of the mushrooms off their rock, so now they are growing in whatever randon place they fell. I'd not added any new corals as I wanted to wait until I'd sorted my cyano problem, I bought a purple tipped anemone last week & placed it on a piece of rock near the front of the tank but he wondered off that and is near the front corner, but looks happy enough:

The other corals are growing nicely, my leather has grown like crazy since I moved him.

A piece grew off this then fell off this so I thought I'd see if I could get it to grow over a small piece of rock:

Here's a couple of FTS:

Still can't take a decent full tank shot :( I lost my blue damsel about six weeks ago, I don't know what happened to him, he was fine one day & the next morning he was dead. Was a bit worried he might have had a desease but he had been looking fine & all the other fish are doing great (though the strawberry gramma can be a bit agro), I don't think I'll be adding any more fish any time soon.

Thanks

Nick

NickF

I've moved the scape around again, the leather was blocking the light on the zoas so I was trying to move them but ended up knocking some of the other rocks and decided to move some of the other corals. I wish I'd taken more time with my rockscape when I originally set my tank up but as it was all new to me I didn't know what I was doing. My purple tip anemone hadn't read my memo about staying at the front of the tank and had firmly planted itself at the back of the tank where it was hard to feed (or see) so I took the opportunity to move it to the front. I also got a couple of new corals last week, a blue & red acan frag, a green centre favia frag and a red & purple favites colony:

Here's a FTS from yesterday:

As you can see my female clown seems very enamoured with the anemone which surprised me as I had read that they don't often host with that type

She was playing with it for hours yesterday. I've got a couple of videos of it but I don't know how to load them up as embedded videos, I'll see if I can work it out later.

My corals are multiplying around the tank, there are bits of zoas that broke off and are doing well, the purple mushrooms have nearly all broken off the original rock and are all over (this has now revealed a nice looking green mushroom on the rock that I hadn't seen until last week, and the small piece of ricordea I attached to a rock a couple of months ago is growing well.

I think I may have to try and trim the leather, is this easy to do? I'll read up on it later.

Thanks for looking.

Nick

NickF

Thanks Jetmart, that's my yellow tip toadstool, was only this big when I got it:

So it's grown quite a bit!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Tank looks awesome mate! That leather is HUGE, amazing that you're getting such good growth on things!!

Fragging leathers is reasonably straight forward, if you search it on Google there are a heap of how to videos and links :)

NickF

Thanks Glenn, I've just uploaded a video to youtube (never done it before)

Let's see if it works:

[video=youtube_share;4U0Qerk4nis]http://youtu.be/4U0Qerk4nis[/video]

NickF

Fragging leathers is reasonably straight forward, if you search it on Google there are a heap of how to videos and links :)

Thanks Wrangly, the only fragging I've done so far has all been accidental :( when I've knocked things but I've just watched a couple of youtube vids & it looks easy enough (famous last words)

Cheers

NickF

Hi all,

One of my snails has laid some eggs on the glass, last time it did this the fish thought it was an all you can eat buffet and they weren't there long but this time they were laid right at the top of the glass in the corner so I've moved my thermometer in the way so the fish can't get to them (they had already been tucking in):

I know they'll probably end up as fish food eventually but has anyone ever had any snail eggs hatch, how long does it take?

Thanks

Oxylebius

Do you have nassarius snails in the tank, looks like their eggs. My nassarius have laid eggs on the glass every spring for the last three years. Yours look similar to mine. And yes, sadly they do end up being fish food, if not as eggs, later on as tiny snails they picked off by the fish. If you want any to survive try raising in a separate tank.

NickF

I've just changed my CPE & Purigen and was going order some more, I'm just wondering if I should go for Chemipure Blue instead? I know a few of you have tried it, are you still using it or have you swapped back? I'm not sure, everything is looking healthy in the tank at the mo so I don't want to upset the balance.
Thanks