NickF's RSM C130

NickF

How's the behavior of the wrasse? Any aggression or mild aggression with the other fish?

No if anything the Damsel was aggressive towards him the first day or so but they are all getting on really well now. I would like to add one more fish, a Royal Gramma, as they are peaceful I'm hoping there shouldn't be any problems & I'll wait until I see one the same size as my other fish as well.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Your tank looks AWESOME Nick :thumbup:
On the purple coraline growth: I don't like it on the plastic in my tank either & it is not easy to get off.
I usually use a razor scraper when it bothers me too bad. Not a fun chore. Maybe someone else has better fix.
Some people want everything purple but I'd rather it stay exclusive to the LR.
Great pictures, that wrasse is beautiful :snshne:

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
When you do a water change try to scrape it of then, as most will testify this is the only problem with unmovable plastic - it seems to attract coralline ;)

NickF

Hi all,

it's been a while since my last post, I've just been trying to let the tank mature so I've not added anything new except replacing some turbos. I've rearranged the scape a couple of times and I've been trying to find where the corals are happiest. Here's the latest fts:

most of the corals seem to be doing ok:

The duncan has now got a ring of new heads growing round it:

I nearly lost this one when it fell headfirst into the sand, when I found it most of it was eaten :( but it seems to be recovering well:

There is something living in my torch coral, but it doesn't seem to be causing it a problem, I only see it when the lights are off or when they first come on. Here's a video of it, not sure if it will work:

I've got some dreaded cyano, it's mainly in the corners directly under the pumps where there isn't enough flow. I've tried cutting the time the lights are on, increasing my water change volumes and I manually remove what I can when I'm doing the changes but it always returns although it doesn't seem to be getting any worse:

I've also tried disturbing the top of the sandbed with my turkey baster everyday to stop it settling but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do? Do you think I should get another pump to put on the other side, maybe an MP10?

Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Added flow will help... as your tank matures (9-12 months) it will subside, just be careful to not overfeed

all you corals are looking really great & healthy... don't worry about the slight bit of cyano in the corners, increasing the cuc with more snails can help too & keep your chemical filtration media fresh - cheers for the update ! :)

Oxylebius

There is something living in my torch coral, but it doesn't seem to be causing it a problem, I only see it when the lights are off or when they first come on. Here's a video of it, not sure if it will work:

Looks like a barnacle. Filter feeder, harmless. Most don't survive long in reef tanks, unless you are adding filter feeding foods.

NickF

A couple of new additions to the tank, a Goniopora (my new favourite coral):

& a Strawberry Gramma:

I think the tank is pretty much fully stocked now, I'd like to add some sps coral down the line but I'm happy as it is now.

I've ordered some cpe as mine's 3 months old now, and I've ordered some new T5's. Although they're only 6 months old I figured I'd swap them out and keep these as a backup if I had any problems. I also ordered a TMC AquaRay AquaBlue Flexi-LED strip that I want to put in between the T5's to use to reduce the shock of the main lights going off, and improve night viewing. Well that's the plan, but it depends on easy they are to fit.

It should all come tomorrow, I might even take the skimmer out, give it a deep clean and remove any gunk that's in the bottom of the sump.

My Kh level had dropped to 7dkh so I've been raising it with Seachem reef builder and it's currently at 8.1dkh. I'm not sure what I should raise it to (the instructions say 8-14 which is a very wide variance) what do you keep your kh levels at?

Thanks

Oxylebius

Nice update. Pretty clean tank. Glad to see the wrasse is still doing well.

I'm not dosing yet, so no suggestions on product. Are you also testing Ca and Mg? Is it only Alk that is low? The 3 are connected and affect each other if you are dosing one, I'd also test the other two,. You don't want to get Ca and Alk off balance, have too little of one and too much of the other.

NickF

Thanks Oxy,

Yes I'm testing the other 2, my mg is 1340 & ca is 400 so I think they are ok? I haven't dosed for anything else, I just do a weekly 15% water change.

NickF

Changed my cpe, emptied the sump & gave the pumps a clean, took out the skimmer & gave it a good scrub & soak in the bath and syphoned the bottom of the sump so everything is looking as good as new. Not the nicest way to spend the afternoon but I can see why it shoud be done, the skimmer was skanky.

I changed the T5s for new ones and had a look to see if I could fit this while I was at it:

but I'll need to drill a hole in the perspex to pass the chord through if I want to put it between the T5s, and I'll need to get a washer to plug the hole after I've fed the wire. I didn't want to be drilling holes, so I'm going to have a think on it. I tried the LEDs out just sellotaping them to the front of the hood just to see what they look like and was surprised how well they work, the corals really fluoresce under the light. I've taken a pic but it doesn't do justice:

I'd say they are 100% better than the stock moonlights, as in I can see what's going on. I might even just stick them on there with the self-adhesive, they are supposed to be waterproof and shouldn't get any water on them there anyway. What do you think ?

Thanks

NickF

The skimmer seems to be working better than ever since I've cleaned it last week but I've realised that I was messing with the gate too much and I should let it settle back down on it's own after cleaning/water changes rather than adjusting it all the time.

I decided to put the LED strip in between the T5s and they are really good for the money I spent, they were only £29 and do just the job I was looking for. I'll be interested to see if Red Sea are going to offer the LED upgrade for the c130 next year when it comes out, I've not heared anything definite on this yet.

I've also swapped my Hydor for an MP10. Loving the reef crest random mode, it makes it look much more natural that just a constant flow. I've got a couple of questions on the MP10, should I put the foam guard on it and do any of you use the night mode on it?

Thanks

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I do not have the foam guard on mine and have never had an issue.

I do use night mode as it gives everything and everyone a rest.

I did the same thing when I still had my hood on, I didn't drill though, I just ran the wires out the vent slots on the side of the hood. And yes, they do give the coral TONS of pop!

1017376_10151992671691220_234223518_n.jpg

Changed my cpe, emptied the sump & gave the pumps a clean, took out the skimmer & gave it a good scrub & soak in the bath and syphoned the bottom of the sump so everything is looking as good as new. Not the nicest way to spend the afternoon but I can see why it shoud be done, the skimmer was skanky.

I changed the T5s for new ones and had a look to see if I could fit this while I was at it:

but I'll need to drill a hole in the perspex to pass the chord through if I want to put it between the T5s, and I'll need to get a washer to plug the hole after I've fed the wire. I didn't want to be drilling holes, so I'm going to have a think on it. I tried the LEDs out just sellotaping them to the front of the hood just to see what they look like and was surprised how well they work, the corals really fluoresce under the light. I've taken a pic but it doesn't do justice:

I'd say they are 100% better than the stock moonlights, as in I can see what's going on. I might even just stick them on there with the self-adhesive, they are supposed to be waterproof and shouldn't get any water on them there anyway. What do you think ?

Thanks

NickF

I've moved my toadstool, it was getting too big in the bottom left corner, so I've moved it to the right at the back:

I've not stuck it down yet but I think it looks better there, I think it just needs to settle in after being moved.

Another reason to move it was to give me more room to add a couple more corals :)

A small Ricordea:

& an Acan:

The fish are all doing well & the corals are all growing & looking healthy so it's all good at the mo, I just need to avoid looking at the corals in the LFS for a while.

I must not buy any more corals. I must not buy any more corals. I must not buy any more corals.

Well... maybe just one.

Nick

Rooprect

Hi Nick;
I've always enjoyed reading your build thread. How is your tank lately? It's been a few months.
Hope you are well.
Sincerely,
ROOP