NickF's RSM C130

NickF

Hi Everyone,

well my C130 has arrived, I've got the cabinet built & set everything up (hopefully) with no major problems. I had a bit of a headscratcher when I thought the top of the cabinet was missing as it wasn't in the box, then I realised it was underneath the tank, doh.

I've got 150l sw from my lfs & I'm just waiting on the live rock & sand which should arrive tomorrow. I've also got an RSM starter kit & refractometer today so I can busy myself reading the instructions on those while I wait.

I need to post this so I can have 5 posts, pic of tank to follow.

NickF

tank:

with lights on:

I resized the pics down to 130kb as they were 1,200kb (too big I think) whats the max pic size in kb I can upload?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Congrats Nick on the arrival of your RSM 130C :woohoo:
And BIG CHEERS :yehoo: for starting a tank thread for it!!
I think you'll be the 1st 130C on board....This is EXCITING :D
I look forward to following your progress & seeing lots of pictures :chair::lurk:
Any help you need, don't hesitate to post a question,
We are all here to help each other be successful :crowd:

NickF

Sand & rocks are in, skimmer and pump is on and the water seems to be clearing :

I've got more live rock to add, and I'm trying to make it taller, I'll have another go later (they keep falling over, but I didn't really want to stick anything down)

The skimmer & pump are quieter than I expected, the main noise is the lights. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to have the fans on?

I've cut the black sponge into 3 after reading it on one of the threads, makes it a lot easier to use, and I've got the bag of carbon in. Do you think that will be ok while the tank cycles?

Will start the Reef Mature kit tomorrow, and start testing as well

Thanks

NickF

Thanks all,

water temp is 26.3, heater has only been on a few hours. I've had another crack at the scape, but it's a bit precarious:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Be careful with your rockwork. You really don't want big pieces falling and hitting the glass walls of the bottom. As you add a CUC with snails, start putting in corals, things that are precarious will fall, so be careful and try and get things pretty solid.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great start, nice LR - while cycling I would run the stock carbon & then after the cycle is complete.... change to CPE & Purigen

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Post us more pics :dance:, skimmer, gate, everything in & out back & front - and close ups of everything :) and your thread will get tons of views - your the 1st C130 in the club!

Cheers mate !

NickF

Great start, nice LR - while cycling I would run the stock carbon & then after the cycle is complete.... change to CPE & Purigen

Yes, that's what I was thinking, lots of people seem to go with that. I've got to get the rocks more stable, has anyone used putty to stick rocks together? I was wondering if it is any good.

Cheers

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
This stuff is some of the best you can get
http://www.marcorocks.com/aquascape-supplies/e-marco-400/

but after I got it, I didn't use it, I just worked with them moving them around until they kind of "self" interlocked - decided if I ever wanted to re-scape (and I did a 1/2 dozen times while cycling) I didn't want the rock locked down

For more stability you can have a few points touch the back wall - just make sure there room for flow & fish to swim - this is what I did anyway & several others of us with success. Looks like you did, but make sure you have a good amount of room free on each side to be able to clean. If you can shake it a bit & it does not tumble, you should be okay, I would guess - some members do lock them down, there is several other products you can use - like reef puddy if you want - hope this helps

see what others think...

NickF

Post us more pics :dance:, skimmer, gate, everything in & out back & front - and close ups of everything :) and your thread will get tons of views - your the 1st C130 in the club!

Cheers mate !

Sorry, I should have taken some photos when I was setting up.

Here's the cabinet with the power center:

And here are some of the back, you can see the size of the gate on the first one:

Media rack:

Thanks

NickF

I'm using the RSM Reef Starter Kit which is supposed to give a "Fully matured reef system in only 21 days" I'm trying to follow the instructions exactly and only test what/when they say, and add what/when they say. Here's where I am so far:

day 1 - set up system & ran for 24 hours

day 2 - tested:

salinity 1.021, temp 26.4, p/h 8.2, kh/alk 7 dkh

added:

14ml kh-coraline gro buffer, 20ml nitro bac, 10ml bacto-start, 3 ml no3po4-x

day 3 - tested:

salinity 1.021, temp 26.7, p/h 8, kh/alk 7 dkh, amonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0

added:

10ml nitro bac, 3 ml no3po4-x

I'm using the RSM test kit, which is a bit like being back in chemistry class. I might even buy a lab coat :)