New Project: Common Hitchhiker ID Thread

Curtswearing

First off----Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!!!

There are a number of different species of spiny urchin's so I'm not willing to offer an exact ID based on only one picture. However, we'll get it figured out for you.

Regardless, welcome and do some reading and ask some questions.

sarah

Hi does it have white circles round the base of its spins.
If it does it could be a domino urchin like the one i have got.

Sarah xxx

Welcome to the RS great place to be. :D

Les_Sr

Thank you for such a warm welcome.... I don't think it had white rings at the base of the spines, but I no longer have it! My dog faced puffer ate it lastnight!!!! thanks anyway!!

jlserr

3 common in my tank. The most is the one at the right... Clathrina sponge I guess.

177054-4632_max.jpg

Last edited:

KittyKat

Re: Common Hitchhiker ID Thread

here is my evil pic

I have this black crab in my tank that hitchhiked from the LR. Is this a bad crab to have in my tank and whats the name of it? Does anyone have any more closer pictures of this crab? Currently in my tank I have a few corals(open brain,donut coral,frogspawn,torch coral,colt coral, 2 different types of finger leather corals,some zoos and mushrooms, 2 fishes, about 6 hermit crabs, I did have 2 snails but I just found an empty snail shell with no snail in it, a cleaner shrimp, and a sand sifting sand star. When i was adding a new live rock in my tank i saw it come out but it ran away real fast and tonight I finally saw him posted up in one of my live rocks. It has been over 2 weeks since i last saw him and my main concern is if this hairy crab is going to do some damage to my reef tank.

I'd appreciate any info or advice on these hitchhikers. It really looks very very similar to WITFULL's pic he posted. Here's the link of the pic that he posted on this thread:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...mmon-hitchhiker-id-thread-hitchhiker-crab.jpg

Thanks for any help.I'm a newbie in this and so far i'm loving it but there is always something new i learn about my tank everyday and today it was this mysterious crab hiding in my live rock.