New Project: Common Hitchhiker ID Thread

ReefLady

Staff member
Hey guys, inspired by the "this is aiptasia" thread, let's make a thread of all the common hitchhikers.

Aiptasia, mantis, nudis, gorilla crabs, snails, etc... we should probably exclude "oddball" hitchhikers for the sake of keeping it relatively simple. By "oddball" I mean the person that got a live seahorse or something in their LR... something we've only seen once and it made us all scratch our heads.

Please help us out with this! Upload your photos to a special section of the gallery here .

edit: Please also add any information in the description such as where the rock came from (brand and/or geographic location)

Then we'll create a sticky thread for the top of this forum with common hitchhikers for our new friends to see.

I love the "hhfaq" at reefs.org, it's a valuable resource but a bit outdated and somehwat incomplete IMO. My goal is to create the new, definitive hitchhiker ID thread, that will get linked to here as often as we link to that hhfaq article. So, let's take a run at greatness, shall we?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Travis

Curtswearing

I know of lot's of good pictures. I don't have any of my own but I think this is an awesome idea!!!

Let's get on board with this.

ReefLady

Staff member
Up to 16 photos, Gumhead has the prettiest pic of a bristleworm I've ever seen. LOL

TDEVIL

i posted a few, will get more later, have to go to the LFS :D

i cant believe how much you guys/gals have improved apon with this site, i am honored to be a part of it ;)

TD

Curtswearing

OK, we have mantis, stomatella snails, vermetid snails, encrusting sponge, featherdusters, heliacus snails, several worms, the red eyed crab from heck, a spiny urchin, a black crab, keyhole limpit, red macroalgae, red planaria flatworms, bristlewom, pyramid snail, opisthobranch snail, bryopsis, long spined urchin, mini-brittlestar, asterina starfish, xanthiid crab.

We need to get some pics of halimeda algae, caulerpa algae, different shades of coralline algae, spaghetti worms, peanut worms.....what else?

Witfull

we forgot cowry snails.

Dave to the rescue

Attachments

• unknown-cowry-snail.jpg
    unknown-cowry-snail.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 305

ReefLady

Staff member
Just to clarify, some quick copyright/etiquette guidelines:

Please make sure you are the photographer of the images you upload. If not, make sure you

A) get permission from the photographer
and
B) credit them in the photo gallery.

Thanks
Travis

reefrunner

Contributing Member
tsk, tsk, tsk....someone was a bad boy......

Bad Boys, Bad Boys
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When they come for you...

Witfull

Originally posted by reefrunner
tsk, tsk, tsk....someone was a bad boy......

Bad Boys, Bad Boys
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When they come for you...

thats my song.....LOL

ReefLady

Staff member
33 photos and a great start guys, here are some speicifcs to help round out the selection. Thanks again for all your help!

valonia
sargassum
cyano
aiptasia
anemonia majano
tunicates
isopods
copepods
amphipods
hydroids
acro crabs
anemone shrimps
feather dusters (in rock/sand/on glass)
spaghetti worms
forameniferans
various sponges

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Travis I thought of this last night, for your hitchiker thing to work, your gonna need lots of photos, I am assuming that reg members only have 1mb of space. Maybe they should upload their pics in this thread and you can upload them to the gallery, giving them credit in the description. Just thinking some may not want to use their gallery space on hitchikers.