New Project: Common Hitchhiker ID Thread

ReefLady

Staff member
Hmmmm, good point RR, Not sure I want them to bump into the file size limit on a thread either though...will think of a solution. :)

T

one eye

Hi, I'm new to this forum but had some pics to help fill in your list. I sent valonia and majano, majano alone, mini star and sand dwelling feather dusters...I think I got from Teri's tank.

I'll send a few more later.

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks one eye!

A bump to keep them coming guys... anybody have those funky white sponges or spiral-shaped feather duster worms on their glass? Check your fuge! :)

Travis

Craig Manoukian

You got mine already, but if I find any more will upload.

I have been keeping track of pictures uploaded and properly categorizing them. Those that are appropriate I've been putting in the Hitchiker ID folder. Let me know what else you need on this Travis!!

:) :D ;) :p :cool: :smirk:

blenny

this thread/photo gallery is a great idea, travis. i've been looking through the pics, though, and i don't know what some of the hitchhikers are...

it would be good if there was an attached comment on each hitchhiker and whether it's good, bad, benign, controversial, etc...

or perhaps i'm blind and all that info is floating around already.

great pics, folks!

blenny

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks blenny, this is just the first step. I do believe we'll have someone who knows their stuff do a write-up on the critters, and we will turn it into an article featured here on ReefSanctuary.

Step two is about to get underway, but I would like to make this a running project, the bigger the better.

Travis

Cougra

or spiral-shaped feather duster worms on their glass?

Travis: I have some of the Spirorbidae growing on the shells of my Baby Turbo snails in the photo located HERE I have been trying to get a better photo of them but I guess my camera isn't powerful enough. I have them all over my tank (where there isn't coraline algae at anyrate), bottom of rocks and sump. I hope this could be used, at least until someone else is able to get a better shot! (And I wish them the best of luck focusing on those small creatures!!!)

Last edited:

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I just took some of the spiral shaped feathers and a few other cool things, I'll upload later tonight, gotta recharge the battery before I can get them off the cam :mad:

Cougra

Cool Reefrunner! I would love to see someone with a nice clear shot of those little creatures! I can't wait to see the photos! :)

Curtswearing

Originally posted by blenny
this thread/photo gallery is a great idea, travis. i've been looking through the pics, though, and i don't know what some of the hitchhikers are...

it would be good if there was an attached comment on each hitchhiker and whether it's good, bad, benign, controversial, etc...

or perhaps i'm blind and all that info is floating around already.

great pics, folks!

blenny

That's actually what this is all about. We are mainly in the gathering phase at the moment. I'm putting some comments up there on the ones that I think are bad.

mwrager

Here is something that is growing on my LR. Hitch Hiker

Attachments

• full tank small.jpg
    full tank small.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 56

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Mw

Mw

This is a encrusting/boring sponge and appears to be a Anthosigmell varians, but may not be the exact species. It comes in a number of variants, as indicated by the name. I have an almost exact pic in one of books, only yours is a little lighter in color. My pic has a slight yellowish to it.Your lighter color may be do to bleaching or not having enough zoo's. Below is a pic of the encrusting variety, your is the massive type

Book= Reef Creature ID, Florida,Caribean and Bahams by Paul Humann, pg 55

Pic

mwrager

The Sponge started to grow about 6 months a go out of no where, it now is about the size of a silver dollar. Thanks Boomer I will have to look it up in the book. It has always been that color.