New Member with a BioCube 14 Inherited from my Daughter (in College)

AnemoneGrrl

We are an aquatic-loving family. We upgraded our huge, pet koi into two 550-gallon tanks last fall for wintering out of the outdoor pond. Indoors we have a 150-gallon Perfecto we're holding onto for a potential future marine tank. But in the meantime, we enjoy the BioCube 14 our daughter bought when she was 14 and left for us when she started college last fall as an environmental sciences major at Northwestern in Ill.

I'm looking for conversations about BioCubes. We set ours up with a refugium instead of BioBalls several years ago (a great decision). The lights and fan have been replaced at least once each over the years we've owned it, and it's time to do it again.

I called the local shop but they said the BioCube is undergoing a redesign and replacement parts aren't available. Not true, I found out tonight. I found replacement parts online but I also found articles about retrofitting with LED lights as well as ReefSanctuary as an online community with resources. Before I invest in more lights and a new fan, and potentially a new transformer for the LEDs, I am going to look around for advice other people might have.

I've been told to upgrade to a bigger tank by the guy who owns the store we bought this from, but that is not going to happen right now. Two kids in college means it won't be any time soon. So I really am looking for advice to keep this BioCube stabilized and healthy. For the most part, it really has been very easy to maintain. Thanks!

jpsika08

Welcome to RS, a few members around have Biocubes.

Good luck and we would love to see pics of the tank :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

immerume2

Cool story. Any chance we could get pics and a list of current stock? Might be a good place to start. The lighting guys will want to know what u have in ur tank and if u plan on adding any sps to it.

Welcome yo reefsanctuary.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Welcome to RS! :wave:

I don't have a BioCube but I do have a NanoCube 12g system. I can tell you one of the best upgrades I've made was LED. I converted my system over to LED a few years (yes years) back and this year (if memory serves me right ) I break even on the LED upgrade and about every 9/10 months from here on out I SAVE money on just the initial cost of bulbs.

Before the LED upgrade I was replacing 3x 18w CF bulbs around every 9-10 months. The bulbs were (I haven't priced them in YEARS thank goodness) around $22 each for a total of $66 every 10 months. That doesn't include shipping so let's round UP to $75 every 10 months.

Since upgrading I haven't replaced a fan or ballast or anything. Another side effect is my tank running cooler. This system uses smaller (quieter) fans and they are ran at less than 100% which helps them last longer. The above combination also means a LOT less evaporation. I was adding approx 1/2 gallon of top-off water per week and now a gallon of top-off last approx 3 months. I need to take better notes in regards to top-off but I know for sure it's a LONG time between gallon jug fill-ups now.

Upgrading my 12g cube to LED benefits are
:
  • Much better light control (each color is independently controlled)
  • No bulb replacement expense
  • No fan replacement expense (thus far)
  • Cooler running tank
  • Quieter Fans
  • Less evaporation

LED upgrade negatives are:

• Up front cost was high... but that was LONG before you could buy LED kits and they are much less expensive and use better, higher output components now.

I guess that's it LOL! The upfront cost!

Honestly I loved my LED the first time I turned them on but I love them MORE and MORE each year. I think you should look into it and seriously consider going LED. You can do a factory kit (I'm sure someone makes one) or you can save some $$ and do a DIY by contacting Modular LED or ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting and asking what they have that others have used to upgrade their BIOCUBE-14 to LED.

Feel free to browse our LED forum for ideas and check back often.. it's growing quickly :)
LED lighting

Again welcome to RS!! :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Also on a side note.... if you invest in a high output and "Dimmable" LED fixture there are no limits to what coral you can keep in it... in fact you can keep anemone and clams so long as your husbandry skills and tank parameters are up to it.