New kole has ich I think

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
pdawg said:
if you install a uv sterilizer soon enough, and of proper size, your kole tang should be fine.

Respectfully, I disagree.

Putting in a brand new high quality air filter in your home's air handler will no more solve a respiratory infection in your body than a uv cures an animal of a parasite inside and on it.

....Insert Funny Signoff Here....

dmatt88

Some fish develop more of a tolerance for ich. Almost an immunity. The last qt I did for ich for 8 weeks with cupramine. The tank was fallow. The fish were clean for many weeks. A month or so into the dt I moved rockscape n darned if 2 tangs didn't contract ich again. I still see an occasional spot. At this point ich is in the system brought on more than likely by stress. I introduced nothing into my tank to contract ich. I put full trust into lees advice. However there r certain triggers that allow it in. Peace.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

zack879

Some fish develop more of a tolerance for ich. Almost an immunity. The last qt I did for ich for 8 weeks with cupramine. The tank was fallow. The fish were clean for many weeks. A month or so into the dt I moved rockscape n darned if 2 tangs didn't contract ich again. I still see an occasional spot. At this point ich is in the system brought on more than likely by stress. I introduced nothing into my tank to contract ich. I put full trust into lees advice. However there r certain triggers that allow it in. Peace.

I'm going with you on this one. My tang is eating and happy. I'm not gunna net him bucket him than put him in qt. only to stress him so that he won't eat. If it gets to be an issue where he is covered and not just localized I will absolutely treat. But for now I'll keep him eating and stress free.

jpsika08

At least try getting Selcon and Vitachem to soak their food, it will increase its immune system.

TylerHaworth

So much terrible information being thrown out here.

Crypto free display tanks are very easy to attain, and very common amongst both serious and casual aquarists. Anyone who says otherwise is either lazy, inexperienced, or just plain ignorant.

A UV Sterilizer will not wipe the parasite from your system.

Quarantine and treat properly/fully every single time. Copper or Hyposalinity. No alternatives. Period.

pdawg

I respect everyones opinion so why cant everyone respect mine? Im not saying a UV sterilizer will wipe out the parasite as I clearly stated multiple times, and I've said that I would consider my tank to still carry the parasite even though I haven't seen the parasite in over a year. My tank was infested with ich, I cleared the tank for 8 weeks, put brand new fish from a copper treatment in the tank, and Ich reappeared again. I am not at quarantining fish because I lose many fish in the process. After my tank was reinfested with ich, I added a 36 watt UV sterilizer to the fish tank and the next day the ich spots retreated drastically and by the 4th day they were all gone on all of the fish. As I have said, the parasite is not gone, but my fish are doing amazing, I have kept a moorish for over a year now, as with a powder brown tang, blue hippo, purple tang and others and they all seem extremely happy, so please make sure you read all of the posts before you judge. I have tried pretty much everything to rid ich and the only one that worked for me was the UV sterilizer. I do not believe every tank has ich, but ich is too hard to get rid of, and too easy to re-introduce for me.

fishguy4

I respect everyones opinion so why cant everyone respect mine? Im not saying a UV sterilizer will wipe out the parasite as I clearly stated multiple times, and I've said that I would consider my tank to still carry the parasite even though I haven't seen the parasite in over a year. My tank was infested with ich, I cleared the tank for 8 weeks, put brand new fish from a copper treatment in the tank, and Ich reappeared again. I am not at quarantining fish because I lose many fish in the process. After my tank was reinfested with ich, I added a 36 watt UV sterilizer to the fish tank and the next day the ich spots retreated drastically and by the 4th day they were all gone on all of the fish. As I have said, the parasite is not gone, but my fish are doing amazing, I have kept a moorish for over a year now, as with a powder brown tang, blue hippo, purple tang and others and they all seem extremely happy, so please make sure you read all of the posts before you judge. I have tried pretty much everything to rid ich and the only one that worked for me was the UV sterilizer. I do not believe every tank has ich, but ich is too hard to get rid of, and too easy to re-introduce for me.

Dude no one is trying to disrespect anyone we are just trying to clear up some of these misconceptions. Don't take anything the wrong way. But really just everyone go back a page and look at Lee's stickys about ich. Its been debated so many times and there is no reason to do it again guys. Let's just end the debate now :)

jpsika08

Here are both products:

Selcon:
Extract from Site
"Aquarium food booster that features highly unsaturated OMEGA 3 fatty acids, Marine Lipids (200 mg/g), Stabilized Vitamin C (200 mg) and Vitamin B12 Cyanocobalamin (240 mcg). Soak any freeze-dried, frozen food or dried food to give it additional nutritional value or use directly in the tank to benefit filter-feeding invertebrates. Boosts the nutritional value of live brine shrimp. American Marine Selcon does not alter water chemistry and it does not contain Yeast, Phosphates or Nitrates. It also helps cure Head and Lateral Line Erosion / Disease. 60mL."

Vitachem:
Extract from the site:
"Benefits:

Increased growth
Fabulous intense natural colors
Natural vitality restored
Appetite restoration
Increased resistance to disease
Tends to create natural mating & breeding instincts in aquarium environments (fresh & marine)
Brings out the natural colors in fish natures way - tested for over 3 years by the most experienced breeders and hobbyists.
A pre-stabilized multi-vitamin, water and tissue soluble - an exclusive revolutionary new concept in vitamin supplements for fresh water and salt water animals and fishes kept in closed systems. Great for fin regeneration and lateral line disease.
Vita-chem Marine has 37 added naturally occurring extracts from live organism`s bonded with natural occurring amino acids.
Vita-chem fresh has 30 added naturally occurring extracts bonded with natural occurring amino acids that are receptive to and absorbed into fish tissues.
Not just a vitamin solution, it is the only solution that contains what fish receive in their natural environment, and which is lost in captivity.
Bottled in sealed plastic 4oz bottles, and one gallon bottles for breeders and hatcheries. "

zack879

Word. Solid. I'll opt for vitachem. Also noted my kole went nuts for a frozen seaweed food that I got today that also has brine and mysis tonight. He looks real good and is eating well. Only issue with it is it goes everywhere.

fishguy4

get a seaweed clip. It has a suction cup that will attach to ur glass. Just stick the seaweed in the clip. let him eat, and put another in :)

dmatt88

Look dude. Ur fish is sick. Imagine u being sick. U hungry? Qt those fish. Give em a chance.

zack879

Look dude. Ur fish is sick. Imagine u being sick. U hungry? Qt those fish. Give em a chance.

Just said it eats everything else. It just makes a mess. If you read other posts. Most kole tangs don't eat off a clip right away.