New 130D

Highlander

Hello brand new Mariner here well dry land one anyway!.
I have just bought a 130D and it should arrive in a couple of days.I am going to get some RO Water and salt and then introduce some live rock.
My concern is everyone seems to have ditched the original 130D skimmer is anyone using it sucessfully as I dont want to buy another one already. Also how does the add on media box work ?.
Thanks and Hello to you all

Mark
North Scotland

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Highlander - Welcome again!

Congratulations on the new 130D! The add-on media rack is nice, but would require replacing the RSM skimmer to have the rack fit. I'd suggest running the tank as it comes for a while, then decide if you want to change things. You may be very happy with the stock tank, as several owners are.

Welcome aboard, and keep the questions coming as you think of them! :) Lots of 130, 130D and 250 owners in here, and many from your area. Over 200 at last count, but many don't post frequently.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I run my 130D stock & have had great sucess... you can see some pics in my tank thread. :)

Congratulations on the new 130D!

+1 to Terry advise above...

dankent

To be honest Highlander, There was nothing wrong with the skimmer on my RSM ... the only reason i had to change was for the media rack. I actually find that the RSM skimmer does a better job then the tunze .... The tunze is one finiky gal inside the RSM.

In order to use the media box addon .. i think your refering to SteveT's Media rack .. you wont be able to use the stock skimmer. It slides in perfectly on the right side of the skimmer guides.

Hello brand new Mariner here well dry land one anyway!.
I have just bought a 130D and it should arrive in a couple of days.I am going to get some RO Water and salt and then introduce some live rock.
My concern is everyone seems to have ditched the original 130D skimmer is anyone using it sucessfully as I dont want to buy another one already. Also how does the add on media box work ?.
Thanks and Hello to you all

Mark
North Scotland

Hi welcome, I run a stock RSM 130D also, this is my first marine setup, I'm very pleased with the RSM but then I know no different.

thomshap

I changed mine, mainly because the stock skimmer is so noisy, it's also nice to have some room in the back for other bits and pieces.

dankent

You are going to have alot to soak up in the next few months getting this up and going ... no need hassling yourself with new equipment when it works fine out of the box. Good luck

:clink:

Shamus

Welcome to RS! I ran the tank stock for a bit and switched to the Tunze basically for the noise. I think you can run stock for a while (as everyone else has said) and tweak the stock skimmer to do a pretty good job. Good luck with the build - and remember, we like pics!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes the skimmer isn't required for normal operation of the system but it's a very nice ADDITION to any salty tank.