**Neptune AquaController**

Almondsaz

I was thinking about getting the serial controller, but my PC is not within 10 feet of the controller. Has anyone found a creative solution short of buying another pc?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have a total of 20 outlets being controlled by my AC III. I have not had any issues with them. I hope they iron out your problem quickly!
I have my unit plugged right into the wall (ethernet) and has it's own IP address in our home work group. Did I explain that right? LOL~ I can use any computer in the house to sign into the controller when needed.

Almondsaz

Neptune systems has been incredible responsive and helpful. They are on holiday til the 12th but Curt still responds daily to help me out. I really feel I made the right choice in controllers. I was purchasing the ReefController but read on and changed my mind.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I am seriously looking at getting one of these goodies! I have timers all over, power strips here, this there and I think that the Jr can probably control EVERYTHING!!

I do have a question, how MANY items can the Jr turn off and on at time intervals? I want to be able to run my Fuge light on reverse from My main tank but I have Actinic seperate from the main lights. Including a moon light I would need 4 different timed lights channels/circuits. Is this possible?

Is all of this realistic for a 10g tank?

Can I access the Jr from OVER the internet say for instance from work?

Allen :)

KMP

BigAl07,

I would need 4 different timed lights channels/circuits. Is this possible? Yes, I have a pump, 10K, actinics, and fuge light all on seperate circuits. You can do more (forget max number off the top of my head).

Is all of this realistic for a 10g tank? I have an aquacontroller on my 8g BioCube at work. The timers manage the devices I mentioned above which are programed to come on at certain times as well as go off at certain temperatures.

Can I access the Jr from OVER the internet say for instance from work? Don't know - not that gifted to figure that stuff out :)

KMP

OK,

Woodstock, I did cut the other connection w/in the X10 and it solved the problem I described above.

Others,

If you want an additional DC8 (as I did, but they cost $158) I would encourage you to consider an American DJ PC100/A (cost $30) as an additional electrical option. The DC8 will give you 8 programable sockets, and the American DJ will give you another 8 non-programable, but controlled by rocker switches.

Items you want to control (timer settings, turn off at certain temps, etc) plug into the DC8. For other items you want to turn off manually (say powerheads, skimmer, etc at feeding time) plug into the American DJ. With the flip of a rocker switch - it's off. Now I know some will say the AC Jr can shut off those devices at feeding - yes, but I haven't quite figured that out yet and the way I see it I have to hit the buttons on the controller a few times to do that. With the American DJ I can simply flip some rocker switches, feed, and flip them back on. Easy.

Just something to ponder. Between the AC Jr w/DC8 and an American DJ power strip my electrical needs are met.

pc100a-l.jpg

Google Image Result for http://ssl3.adhost.com/americanmusic/prodimg/pc100a-m.jpg

Last edited:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Al, I think you will need to go with the ACIII or Pro; both have the ETHERNET port. Here is a very good comparison chart between the AC Jr, ACIII, and the AC pro. It should help you to decide which controller you need;

Controller Comparison

I have 2 DC8's and one DC2 (from my RK2 controller) that are hooked up and working on my AC III. That is 18 outlets I can control any way I need to! So far, my ACIII is working flawlessly :dance:

DaveK

I was thinking about getting the serial controller, but my PC is not within 10 feet of the controller. Has anyone found a creative solution short of buying another pc?

The serial interface on an Aquacontroller is a standard RS-232 interface. You can purchase a serial extension cable on the net or at your friendly local computer store. They are very inexpensive.

If you are going to do that, you should also purchase a Ground Isolated Serial Connector (Neptune Systems Item Number SERIPC9). If you don't the "ground loop" created be connecting the controller to your computer will throw off the pH ORP and other readings.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks for the comparison chart Woodstock. I got one a while back on here (thought it was from you) that was an Exel Spreadsheet that listed most ALL controllers not just this brand. If anyone wants this just let me know through PM and I'll email it to you ASAP.

I have been looking at my system and what I plan to do in the next couple of years here in this house. The really ONLY benefit for my current set up and the next one (75 - 120g) of the III or Pro would be the Ethernet/Server component. But let's get real.... I only live about 90 seconds from home and can't really justify the additional cost right now. Right now I have :

1 heater
1 Fuge light (wish to be reverse timed to main display)
1 65w Daytime 10k (to be timed other than the appliance timer it has now)
1 65w Actinic (to be timed other than the appliance timer it has now)
1 Fuge pump (would LOVE a feed timer)
1 PowerHead in tank (would LOVE it to be on FEED timer)

The way I see it I need 6 power sources right now and will need another one once I get my moonlights replaced.

Allen

Woodstock

RS STAFF
If I were you, I would wait and purchase a III.

90 seconds huh? You either drive VERY fast or your office is next door :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
On a good day I could probably get a frisbee from My front porch to My office.... if traffic is VERY heavy it takes 3 minutes to get to My office.

Allen :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Good for you!! :thumbup:

k....seriously, what's your boss' nick here on RS?? :D

Hahaha.. just kiddin'. I am the same way. I have about 4 months worth of leave waiting for me to use... :rolleyes:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
seriously, what's your boss' nick here on RS?? :D

Hahaha.. just kiddin'. I am the same way. I have about 4 months worth of leave waiting for me to use... :rolleyes:

:LOL: you crack me up!! I wish he was into SW like this!!

But yes I do LOVE My work.. I get paid to do some really cool and fun stuff.

I think I will get the NAC Jr. later this month. I really need a controller ASAP!!

Allen

Woodstock

RS STAFF
A controller is like indoor plumbing. Once you have it, you'll never live without it ;)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
ditto! i'm sold just on the fact that i don't have a bunch of timers!

Yeah I was looking inside my cabinet tonight and I was shocked at all the CRAP is in there. If I were a fire marshal I would shut my tank down.

So WoodStock, if I buy the Jr. what else do I need to purchase with it to be able to control (timer wise) 7 different items? Do I have to also purchase a DC8 in order to be able to do this? Or does the unit come with some outlets already built into it?

Allen

Woodstock

RS STAFF
It depends on the package deal. Make sure a DC8, temp probe and a PH probe come with the unit. You can buy another DC8 later if you need to.