Neck's Red Sea 130 Refurb

Keno

The rw-8's may be too much for the 130. I just installed 2 of the rw-4's in a 45 gallon cube. They move a lot of water. If I put the controller in some modes I can create a sandstorm and slosh the water out of the tank lol. I found mine on Amazon for $50/each.

Keno

Where did you find the square acrylic bucket for your top of water, and how many gallons is it?

I looked up Darth Maul Acan, couldn't find anything on it. Where did you find it?

neck27

Well I had a horrible weekend. Lost almost all my fish, snails and crabs. My Aquatic Life 115 pump blew up and started turning the water black. Pulled it as soon as we discovered it but it did it's damage. 25 gallon water change I was able to save a few things. But the water still smells like burnt plastic. Running extra carbon. What's worse is I really didn't need the skimmer in there. I'm doing weekly water changes but I wanted to see how much skim I still came up with on that routine. Sort of a gauge.

Corals look ok. My one remaining blenny looks ok but doesn't hide anymore. His crab friend passed. Hopefully he pulls thru. Doing 5 gallon water changes for couple more days to insure everything comes out. Then I'll replace the carbon.

neck27

Keno I tried a RW-4 in that tank and it did not push water like my EVO 750. Since the RW-8 is a little bigger I hoping the volume it pushes is better. It's adjustable so we'll see. The acrylic bucket(10 gallons) was created by a friend of mine that made the stand. It's a little over kill but it's really nice to have. I used to have RGB Led's around it so it glowed. Pretty cool.

Keno

Wow sorry to hear about your tank. I have the same skimmer. I've seen some posts where people talk about that happening, but it seemed one off. Has me thinking about mine. Time to order a different skimmer. I've been looking at the reef octopus classic 110.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:( wow very sorry to hear ! Sounds like you are doing all the right things too recover... lots of water changes, you can do up to a 100% wc in cases like this... and keep changing out the carbon with fresh carbon

a 100% wc won't cause your tank to re-cycle... as the good bacteria is mostly in the surfaces of your live rock, sand...

but if you have die off from the "electric fire - poison" you will want to watch ... re-cycling because of any die off & be ready for even more water changes...

hope this helps & best of luck recovering !

dgilbert2

OMG, what a nightmare for you! Although terrible for your tank & fish thank goodness no one in your family was hurt by such a failure!

This needs raising with the pump manufacturer immediately for investigation, this should just not happen and as they are mass produced there could be many more at risk of failure.

neck27

Good information. My mentor said I should be OK with doing a few more water changes over the next several days. Watching the tank while at work via Camera and APEX. But it's limited obviously. I had to order bulk BRS carbon because I don't want to keep buying Chemipure blue. Gets expensive. My wife is pretty nervous now. Our house is about 10 years old and never noticed we only had 1 fire alarm for the main floor.

Contacted the skimmer manufacture via email yesterday. I'm betting they offer a replacement if anything. It was a Amazon warehouse purchase. Although it looked brand new the box had been opened and thing unwrapped. It's like there scratch and dent. But between you and me I had no idea a skimmer pump would do this....Seemed like a simple device really. Bought it in February and it seemed to work fine. I removed it about every 2 weeks to clean but admittedly didn't always open it up. Just rinsed it and brushed it in RODI water. But it had only been in this tank for 3 weeks.

dgilbert2

It was electric shock that I was concerned about, as I assume the pump is submersed and it sounds like salt water has got into it and started shorting / arcing hence all the black. It is always recommended to fit an earth leakage circuit breaker to fish tanks.

neck27

Is that not a Titanium Grounding Probe? I have one of those in my tank connected directly to my GFI circuit. I sorta ruled out electrocution because of this probe.

dgilbert2

Yes it is, it should have tripped though. I'm would get an electrician to check it out to be on the safe side.

Keno

I would also let Amazon know about your issue. I had an issue with the light on my Eheim nano tank. Sent Eheim email messages and left voicemail. I called Amazon and told them of the issue. The next day I had a local Eheim rep calling me. She replaced the bad component and sent me a full light kit in addition to the replacement part. When I called Amazon it was one year after my purchase. Amazon was also willing to refund my money and take the product back.

neck27

Yea I'm an amazon prime member so I expect certain perks. The manufacture responded already that they would like to take a look at some pictures. And to be honest I threw it away. I'll take pictures of it laying in the trash tonight. Still pretty angry. Silly but I got to know the personalities of those fish. Sadly my bully hermit crab did not pass and continues to flip over all the snails that are left. I think one more water change and the big Carbon/ GFO from BRS should be in on Friday. Change it all out and check levels. I run a Phosban reactor on the tank for about 3 weeks and my Phosphates went from .39 to .24...still trying to get them lower. Not convinced the bio pellets were the way to go so I may try GFO media.

neck27

Keno not sure if I asked you this already. I have a cold that won't go away. Do you dose anything? I'm told if I keep up my weekly water changes it isn't necessary to dose. Specifically I'm looking at coral health. The previous owner only did water changes once a month and dosed Brightwell A&B

Keno

Keno not sure if I asked you this already. I have a cold that won't go away. Do you dose anything? I'm told if I keep up my weekly water changes it isn't necessary to dose. Specifically I'm looking at coral health. The previous owner only did water changes once a month and dosed Brightwell A&B
Hope you feel better.
I started with a small bucket of Red Sea pro salt. I switched to instant ocean reef crystals. I bought a big bucket. With the IO reef crystals, I am dosing a small amount of Mg and I am dosing B-Ionic 2 part everyday. 6ml's each. Even though my system without any sand or rock could have 59 gallons, I only have 34 gallons. I measured when I setup system. My KH is running 7.8-7.9 dKH. My Ca is running around 450ppm. If I don't dose my KH and Ca drops. Tank is still new, coralline is just starting and can be chewing up Ca.

Keno

Hit the post button too quickly. I may go back to Red Sea pro salt. Going to give it another month or two and see. I am doing a 4 gallon/week water change which is just over a 10% change. Corals except for my candy cane look happy. Not sure if I have too much light or flow for the candy cane. Heads are tight. I know candy canes could take time to adjust.

When you are feeling better and if you want to take a drive up to cave creek, would be happy to show you my setup.

My new skimmer is coming Friday. I unplugged my Aquaticlife 115 right after I read your post. BRS has reef octopus 10% off right now.

neck27

Which skimmer did you get? HOB??? Yeah this cold is horrible timing. We are server patching this week so it means lots of late nights. I'm slowly ramping up my corals. I need the light upgrade first. Don't have a lot yet. Mostly GSP. At least until my Emerald crabs eat it. I had no idea they ate GSP.

Keno

I picked up the reef octopus classic 110 space saver. It is going in the right side of my fuge. It's pretty tall according to the specs, but I have enough clearance above the fuge so it should work. Left side of fuge has DSB and LR along with macros. With the smart ato keeping the water level steady it should work fine.

I've had emerald crabs with gsp in the past and they never touched it. I have 2 emeralds now but I haven't picked up any gsp yet.