Neck's Red Sea 130 Refurb

neck27

Turns out I have the original RS 130 and it's been passed around and modded a lot but maybe not in the right way.
I've replaced the mess in the sump with an Intank Media basket and I starting to see that my flow has been reduced a lot. It had a mechanical filter only before. I have the single pump back there and not sure what it is yet but I'm wondering what should it be? Of how many GPH should I be looking at?
I'm planning for a RapidLED upgrade (I get a discount) and controlling it via my APEX. Anyone else do this upgrade?

Keno

I don't have my RSM 130 anymore, but Red Sea had a free upgrade for the 2 pumps to be replaced with a single pump with a flow somewhere between 500-600 gallons per hour. Are there any numbers or info on the pump? If it's not a Red Sea pump, you can contact Red Sea and see if they are still running the free pump upgrade. In addition to the Red Sea pump, I had an additional 2 Sicce mini pumps (500+ gallons) for additional flow. I really like those Sicce mini pumps. I'm still using them now in my 45 gallon marineland cube.

neck27

I'm a big guy so it takes some time to get my hands down in that sump area. I haven't grabbed the pump out yet. I was hoping to simple buy an upgraded pump and pull it once and then look at the old pump and decide whether it would be a valid backup. Looks like I may have to pull it tonight.

500+ is the magic number I think.

Keno

Hey just notice you are in Gilbert. I am in Cave Creek. Are you part of AZFRAG? I'm in a rental and have a 45 gallon I just started, but I have a RSM 250 sitting in the garage at the rental. We will be building a house in N Scottsdale where I will be able to setup the RSM 250.
I really liked my RSM 130, but I was not able to bring it when I moved. I had to decide on the RSM 130 or the 250. The 250 won out.

neck27

I saw that too. I'm in the AMS facebook group mostly. I started out with a use Oceanic biocube that ended up crashing while I was on vacation. Learning experience since I enlisted a non fish person to watch the tank. It was scratched like crazy and wanted to upgrade. A guy was selling this 130 with livestock and I jumped at the chance. Saw the Red Sea booth at The Marine Expo in Orange County and fell in love with their tanks. I'm thinking sometime next year I'll be looking at something bigger. :)

Keno

The 130 is a great tank. Didn't want to sell it, but needed to reduce moving costs. I did have an overflow with a 10 gallon fuge in the bottom of the cabinet. For my 250 I want to have it drilled so I can setup a fuge and not have an overflow. I also modified the hood and added led's. Also upgraded the fans in the hood and added 2 extras. I like to use the Gelid silent fans.

neck27

I'm looking at those Gelid fans. NICE. Just need to locate a A/C adapter and connector to wire it in. Wish I had a spot for two back there.

Keno

You should be able to find an AC adapter. Just make sure it is regulated. I've also used the Gelid temperature controlled fans. They work nice also. Fan speed will speed up or slow down based on temperature.

Keno

I picked up a Smart ATO. I also need to get mine installed. I picked up a canister to hold phosphate removal media from BRS. Haven't hooked it up. Phosphates went as high as 0.13 during tank cycle. Now down to 0.06. Very little algae in tank. Still higher than 0.03 max level. Will see if it continues to decrease on its own. If not I will add canister.

neck27

I use my APEX for ATO and I really do miss my JBL setup. My Apex is dumped about 100 gallons of water on the floor. Mostly because of the Biocube design. My Phosphates are .39 right now. Just started dosing NOPOX. It seems to be decreasing but would rather run the reactor. Are you dosing anything? I'm doing Part A&B and NOPOX.

whip

Turns out I have the original RS 130 and it's been passed around and modded a lot but maybe not in the right way.
I've replaced the mess in the sump with an Intank Media basket and I starting to see that my flow has been reduced a lot. It had a mechanical filter only before. I have the single pump back there and not sure what it is yet but I'm wondering what should it be? Of how many GPH should I be looking at?
I'm planning for a RapidLED upgrade (I get a discount) and controlling it via my APEX. Anyone else do this upgrade?

Congratulations on the new to you tank!

If it came modded with a single pump, it could have been upgraded to this...

image.jpg

It pushes about 340gph; more than double than that of the original dual pumps. It was the first upgrade I did to my "new to me" 130.

Details/specs are found at this link...

http://www.redseafish.com/max-concept/max-130d/max-130d-circulation-pump-upgrade-kit/

Keno

I use my APEX for ATO and I really do miss my JBL setup. My Apex is dumped about 100 gallons of water on the floor. Mostly because of the Biocube design. My Phosphates are .39 right now. Just started dosing NOPOX. It seems to be decreasing but would rather run the reactor. Are you dosing anything? I'm doing Part A&B and NOPOX.
Hooked up my Smart ATO, working like a champ so far. Added a candy cane coral today and did a 6 gallon water change. Good thing I remembered to turn off the ATO.
As for dosing, I use the B-Ionic 2 part alkalinity/calcium liquids. I've had good luck with in the past. Raises my pH a little, but my tanks tend to run around 7.8. With the B-Ionic it runs around 8.0. I like to keep my calcium around 450. I don't have sps corals, but I still see my calcium decrease. I picked up the Hanna handheld alkalinity and calcium testers. They work great. Once I figure out the daily losses of Alk and Calcium, it's easy to just add the 2 liquids.
My phosphates have been coming down. Didn't measure today, but it was at 0.06 yesterday. I do have a reactor from BRS but I'm not going to hook it up unless the phosphates start to climb.
Dumping 100 gallons on the floor doesn't sound like fun to clean up.

neck27

Hi just a few. :) Got the reactor installed but I need to adjust the output hose length. I think sitting on the bottom of the sump. And I seem to have some friends swimming around inside my reactor...LOL. Should I put some sort of filter at the pump intake?

I haven't reinstalled my ATO and really need to. I'm losing about 1.5 gallons a day. I have a separate ATO acrylic box that sits inside a wood enclosure but it's not painted yet. Also need to figure out where to place my float switches. Wish I could afford to do the Smart ATO. So compact. I created one of these. But mine has two float for high and low and one in the ATO reservoir.
photo22.jpg 10411823_10202011681612940_5066721542665571423_n (1).jpg

I received my new hood fan and just need to install it. The small desktop fan is doing fine up it's ugly siting on the sump area.

I getting a lot of floaties in my tank and I'm wondering if I need to reinstall a mechanical sponge that was originally in the sump area near the return pump. But it also takes up a lot of space I'll need for the ATO float switches and hose to fill. I removed it because I figured with the intank media basket I would have plenty of filtration. I just recently added Cuprisorb bag to battle heavy metals that maybe in my water. I can't seem to keep Trochus snails alive for more than a week. All other levels are fine. Phosphates still coming down.

I dropped a brick of MarinePure in the sump. Love that stuff.

I had to replace my APEX PH probe. It always read in the 5's. Calibrating it did nothing to change it.

To add to the work load I still need to pull the return pump out and check it out. Order a backup at the very least. MY EVO powerhead is going bad and will be replaced with a RW-8 next week.

Saving up for a Rapid LED upgrade and a VDM for my APEX.

And I have two Blue/Green Reef Chromis added. When everything settles down I hope to pair my clown fish.
1 new coral added.
10363819_1595449830729125_6973737583571937985_n.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
are those acans - very pretty ! love BIG pics, see details :dance:

index.php