Natural Ocean Water or Salt Mixes?

Do you use ocean water or salt mixes such as Instant Ocean?

• natural ocean water

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • salt mix

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • a combination of both

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Politely Refuse to Answer

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

jpsika08

I think most people stay away from natural seawater, lots of bad stuff can go in the system, unwanted crtis, polluted water, and you'll regret it after some time.
There are methods for treating it but I think you can avoid all that hassle with synthetic salts.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm a salt mixer. Course I'm 1200 miles from the ocean too.

......something smells fishy.

steved13

PREMIUM
I live on the Gulf of Mexico, and I currently own 10 boats. Salt mix only for me!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Do you use ocean water or salt mixes such as Instant Ocean?

yes or no ?

Yes I think... :ponder2: I use salt mix :)

Last edited:

dmatt88

Id like to try that stuff Brandon. Wish they sold it around here.

DaveK

The poll question or answers should be rephrased. "Do you use ocean water or salt mixes such as Instant Ocean?" would have to be answered yes by just about anyone keeping a SW aquarium.

I mix SW myself. Years ago I did collect natural SW a few times. I could do the lugging of that in my youth. I sure can't anymore. I found it to be ok, but that was many years ago. It may be quite a bit different today.

I would say that if you have a good source of natural SW, and you don't mind lugging it and doing some treatment to it, there is no reason no to use it. I would ask the other people that posted to the original post if they have ever used natural sea water? If you have no actual experience with natural SW, it's really not fair to be critical of it, unless your going to back it up with references to people that have used it. Note that there are quite a few aquariums that are on the coast and pump natural SW more or less directly through their system from the local SW.

lethal

Red Sea Coral Pro salt here. Many people in Oz use natural sea water though.

dmatt88

Red Sea Coral Pro salt here. Many people in Oz use natural sea water though.

Works for the great barrier reef pretty well. Bet u have awesome fish n corals to choose from

lbiminiblue

Well miami is a long shot from australia, but my water's pretty clean. Dang i'm jealous of all those pacific people. They get all the good fish and corals. (if you choose to dive for them). I'm so close, but yet so far.

lbiminiblue

Um i wouldn't say that....I just prefer the ocean. To not use it and spend money on salt would be very VERY prodigal.

steved13

PREMIUM
How can i edit the thread? can i?

I changed the poll choices for you so they make more sense, however I can't change the votes that were already cast. I believe I changed the choices so the votes would have the best chance of being where the person who cast the vote intended.