Natural Ocean Water or Salt Mixes?

Do you use ocean water or salt mixes such as Instant Ocean?

• natural ocean water

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • salt mix

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • a combination of both

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Politely Refuse to Answer

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I changed the poll choices for you so they make more sense, however I can't change the votes that were already cast. I believe I changed the choices so the votes would have the best chance of being where the person who cast the vote intended.

Hey Steve would u change my vote to a maybe. Or a kinda. Is there an E. All of the above?

........ mods please turn ur heads.

dmatt88

Lets take a vote. My wife votes with u.

dmatt88

Now u sound like my mother. Haha. Hijack. Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.

steved13

PREMIUM
Any time :)

If you ask in a post, a mod will usually see it and take care of it for you, if we miss it, just PM and we'll take care of it.

Im in miami as well. Most people here use ocean water. No need to mix. The only problem i have ever heard of is water coming in with baby jellyfish... Though that didn't cause any adverse problems for any one and now that person who delivers draws his water through a cheap fabric like material.

Singlefin

I use both. Sometimes mix, sometimes natural. If I remember to bring my buckets, I think I prefer natural. Will see over the long run.

Yes....

lbiminiblue

Yup. There are so called reef crystals which are meant to be aimed for reefs- they have more trace nutrients

Willie McDaries

if I were closer to the ocean,I would use natural saltwater and salt mix,but I had to select salt mix only in the poll....

I just don't see how anybody can make a synthetic anything better than the real stuff,I would however,run natural sea water through carbon and some type of mechanical filtration and maybe even UV sterilization in hopes of keeping any undesirables out of my tank...

no one is gonna convince me that humans can make something better than nature already did it,I think we humans are doing a pretty good job at destroying it though

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I wouldnt use True ocean water unless it could be obtained a mile or more off shore. Remember the next time you put on your bathing suits, beach goers, The beach and the lovely waves/foam is the oceans protein skimmer. Have fun with that thought

Willie McDaries

I wouldnt use True ocean water unless it could be obtained a mile or more off shore. Remember the next time you put on your bathing suits, beach goers, The beach and the lovely waves/foam is the oceans protein skimmer. Have fun with that thought

+1...very true,since proteins tend to move to the surface,water obtained from deeper down would be best too

lbiminiblue

if I were closer to the ocean,I would use natural saltwater and salt mix,but I had to select salt mix only in the poll....

I just don't see how anybody can make a synthetic anything better than the real stuff,I would however,run natural sea water through carbon and some type of mechanical filtration and maybe even UV sterilization in hopes of keeping any undesirables out of my tank...

no one is gonna convince me that humans can make something better than nature already did it,I think we humans are doing a pretty good job at destroying it though

I use ocean water the majority of the time for water changes...it helps to get it from offshore near the dropoff where it's more likely to be clean...but i have no problems getting it from the bay and the surrounding islands...

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Even if NSW were free, you'd need to remember that it contains very large amounts of dissolved (DOC) and particulate food particles. These will decay if you try to store them. The ocean (and lakes) are filtered by algae, but your storage containers are not, and thus would build up N and P.

Mike Johnson

unless we get a beach in colorado I go with the mixes....there are differences in salt mix quality though right?

There's a huge difference in the products offered for saltwater aquariums. This is a big issue and very controversial in the different opinions. I've used quite a few, regrettably, and have my own opinions. I'll just say some are a pure nightmare waiting to happen.

lbiminiblue

Even if NSW were free, you'd need to remember that it contains very large amounts of dissolved (DOC) and particulate food particles. These will decay if you try to store them. The ocean (and lakes) are filtered by algae, but your storage containers are not, and thus would build up N and P.
That's exactly what you do. You leave them in DARK storage for a few weeks, and all the biological matter turns into a silt that you can avoid pouring into your tank. NSW works perfectly for me.