My very own 250!!!

Max250

Why have you got the RSM air tube sticking out of the skimmer cup?

How many notches down is the water level in the back chambers?

I've noticed you have not got the skimmer bracket fitted onto the left partition - How have you got it fitted? With the skimmer bracket onto the glass partition beside the heater??

Off the top of my head, I'd say the skimmer is sitting too high.

Have a look at this: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...c500-red-sea-250-here-we-go-4.html#post772025
Notice the height of the skimmer, where the white screw should be on the front (where is your white screw?) and how I fitted it, hanging off the left partition.

Abradinho

Why have you got the RSM air tube sticking out of the skimmer cup?

Should have known that question would come up :) I put it there because the skimmer cup filled up so quickly and the bubbles kept coming out of the little whole, so I just put it there so that the bubbles/water would go back in to the water... not for permanent use of course :eek: just to help me do my things without the mess it created... :)

How many notches down is the water level in the back chambers?
I'm not sure what a "notch" is, but the "thing" (don't you love my english skills? ;) ) adjusting the water level is not at the highest point, but the one benieth... understandable?

I've noticed you have not got the skimmer bracket fitted onto the left partition - How have you got it fitted? With the skimmer bracket onto the glass partition beside the heater??

I bought the RSM250 including the MC500 from a guy who had used it for a few weeks only, and I can't see that there is any skimmer bracket included...? Too bad. Didn't know there was a bracket. I've got it standing on some blue filter sponge that lifts it up from the bottom, but it's not attached to any of the walls, it's standing freely.

Off the top of my head, I'd say the skimmer is sitting too high.

It's possible to cut the filter sponge so that it would sit lower. Maybe I should give it a try...

Have a look at this: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...c500-red-sea-250-here-we-go-4.html#post772025
Notice the height of the skimmer, where the white screw should be on the front (where is your white screw?) and how I fitted it, hanging off the left partition.

Haven't seen a white screw... Something tells my there's a few minor things I've missed out on, literally... Thanks for the link, that will help me I'm sure. But would you recommend me to start the skimmer and adjusting it so that the bubbles won't reach the skimmer cup right away? How often do you empty the skimmer cup? Thanks for your help! :)

Abradinho

Did some testing tonight:

Temp: 27 Celsius
Salinity: 1.022
pH: 8,05
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0,1
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: 0,03
Calsium: 370

Forgot Kh, but it should be OK when pH is around 8...?

Seems like cycle hasn't really started yet? There's come a rusty layer of algea on the rocks (starts off just like my nano cycle), but it goes slooowly... :) Have patience, I know... :bluenod:

Max250

I knew the answer to the first question, but asked just in case you wired it up wrong :)

By 'notch' I mean the water level indicator/marker/viewing window on the left side of the max. So, you have it 'two notches down' :) I love your english, I wish I could speak two languages. I'd consider bringing it down to 4 notches (marks) down, until you have it all set up.

That's a bummer about not having the bracket. It would have been easier for you. *You could contact a deltec stockist in Norway/Europe and get one, if you really wanted. It would not be expensive.

I would consider cutting the sponge so that the skimmer sits abit lower. Of course, remember not to block the hole into the media chamber.

The white screws* are handy. It can be used to tighten the skimmer cup in place and to reduce vibration/any noise. I can't see ANY white screws on your skimmer, I think mine has 3 total.

Did you get an instruction sheet with the skimmer? If not, I can send you one.

When set properly, the bubbles should be where the white screw is (or the empty hole, in your case). The skimmer instructions say:

"Slide the collection cup up or down within the housing so that the initial foam is approximately level with screw A. (or the empty hole)"

I'd put the air valve to the 1 o'clock positon, to start.

Remember "The skimmer housing must extend by a minimum of 80mm above the water line." I think mine is around 100mm.

OK? :bouncer:

Max250

Did some testing tonight:

Temp: 27 Celsius
Salinity: 1.022
pH: 8,05
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0,1
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: 0,03
Calsium: 370

Forgot Kh, but it should be OK when pH is around 8...?

Seems like cycle hasn't really started yet? There's come a rusty layer of algea on the rocks (starts off just like my nano cycle), but it goes slooowly... :) Have patience, I know... :bluenod:

I prefer a higher salinity of 1.025 - 1.026, else calcium etc. are slightly diluted. Everything looks good to me. Are you using phosphate remover? Patience is the name of the game :)

Abradinho

Abradinho - Not necessarily, The Kh can be low even if you have a Ph of 8. Also raise the SG to 1.026.

I knew about the salinity, but there's no hurry, I'll just add some saltwater instead of freshwater when I top off the tank in the beginning...

Kh will be tested tonight. I do have some Kh buffer somewhere just in case.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

Hope you'll have a fantastic weekend! :)

Abradinho

I prefer a higher salinity of 1.025 - 1.026, else calcium etc. are slightly diluted. Everything looks good to me. Are you using phosphate remover? Patience is the name of the game :)

Will raise the salinity slowly. Calcium is a bit low, would you recommend Kalkwasser in the top off water? I've been considering it, but I haven't got a plan for how to do it.... I've planned to use my nano as a freshwater reservoir in the cabinet. Is it possible to just add some teaspoons of kalk/calcium straight into the water?

I have small container of rowaphos and also a box of rowacarbon. I think I'll try one bag of each in the media chamber (left of the skimmer). What do you think of that?

Thanks for your help! :)

Abradinho

I knew the answer to the first question, but asked just in case you wired it up wrong :)

By 'notch' I mean the water level indicator/marker/viewing window on the left side of the max. So, you have it 'two notches down' :) I love your english, I wish I could speak two languages. I'd consider bringing it down to 4 notches (marks) down, until you have it all set up.

That's a bummer about not having the bracket. It would have been easier for you. *You could contact a deltec stockist in Norway/Europe and get one, if you really wanted. It would not be expensive.

I would consider cutting the sponge so that the skimmer sits abit lower. Of course, remember not to block the hole into the media chamber.

The white screws* are handy. It can be used to tighten the skimmer cup in place and to reduce vibration/any noise. I can't see ANY white screws on your skimmer, I think mine has 3 total.

Did you get an instruction sheet with the skimmer? If not, I can send you one.

When set properly, the bubbles should be where the white screw is (or the empty hole, in your case). The skimmer instructions say:

"Slide the collection cup up or down within the housing so that the initial foam is approximately level with screw A. (or the empty hole)"

I'd put the air valve to the 1 o'clock positon, to start.

Remember "The skimmer housing must extend by a minimum of 80mm above the water line." I think mine is around 100mm.

OK? :bouncer:

Thanks, I haven't really noticed the level indicator on the left side... :lookaroun

Regarding the bracket, I think I'll try to get a hold of one as you say. Seems to be more solid attachment than my blue sponge balance game... :) The hole into the media chamber is probably blocked already, haven't given that much thought... I understand that the hours between the two quarterfinals of the World Cup are dedicated my RSM250... :)

And if you would send my an instructions sheet I would be very greatful! :)

Thanks again for your superb help!! :)

Max250

Will raise the salinity slowly. Calcium is a bit low, would you recommend Kalkwasser in the top off water? I've been considering it, but I haven't got a plan for how to do it.... I've planned to use my nano as a freshwater reservoir in the cabinet. Is it possible to just add some teaspoons of kalk/calcium straight into the water?

I have small container of rowaphos and also a box of rowacarbon. I think I'll try one bag of each in the media chamber (left of the skimmer). What do you think of that?

Thanks for your help! :)

I've never used Kalkwasser, so I can't help with that. At the moment I use Seachem's reef complete and calcium (i'll be setting up a Ca reactor next week).

I use rowacarbon and rowaphos too. One bag of each in the media chamber will do just fine. (Although the best way to use rowaphos is in a fluidized reactor). Remember, using rowaphos will slightly reduce your alkalinity/ph, so add a little buffer each day for the first few days.

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
"Is it possible to just add some teaspoons of kalk/calcium straight into the water?"

Never add dry Kalkwasser to the tank without dissolving in RO/DI water first! The maximum amount of Kalk that can dissolve in fresh water is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. The solution is usually called "limewater". this is usually dosed into the system in small amounts, or limewater added to the top off (ATO) water. Kalk will not only raise Ca, but will also increase alkalinity and pH - it may not be the best way to raise Ca if your alk & pH are already OK. Here's a calculator that may help.

Reef Chemistry Calculator

There are safer things to use to raise Ca.

Abradinho

New update...

The brown algaes are here and seems like they've reached the peak - now there's a few places where the LR is nice and clean. I've got a few "dots" of green "hairy" algae, but I think the cycle will be done in a week or two. Will add pictures when I find the camera.... :) But as you can see, there's not much to show off yet... :)

I've been doing some thinking on the fish wish list:

I said earlier that I didn't want to bring my little yellowtail damsel because it's aggressive. But I've realised that if I don't bring it over to my RSM250 it will surely die... Because there are no one here who wants it... Soooo... I got som question:

How about buying like 4 more and have a bunch of 5 yellowtails in there?

In addition to that I would like to have :

1x Yellow Tang
1x Coral Beauty
2x Ocellaris
1x Algae Blenny/ (any kind of) Goby

What do you think?? Would it be crazy or is there a chance this might be OK ? :)

Abradinho

New tests... we're getting there! :bouncer:

Temp: 26 Celsius
Salinity: 1.025 (Pinpoint monitor)
Kh: 7 (JBL)
pH: 7,93 (Pinpoint monitor)
Ammonia: 0 (Salifert)
Nitrite: 0 (Salifert)
Nitrate: 0 (Salifert)
Phosphate: 0,03 (Salifert)
Calsium: 370 (Salifert)
Magnesium: 1400 (Salifert)

pH is still main concern... Have been away for a few days so haven't started adding any buffer (or similar), but will start this week. With this results it can't be long before I can move my nano stock into the 250 ?

Max250

Well, you will get a biased opinion from me ;) A big no-no for the yellowtail damels and I'll never have more than a couple of fish, maybe 3 total, in my reef tank.

"Because there are no one here who wants it" I wonder why that is? (sarcastic). I bet your local friendly seagull will love it.

imaccat

Test results are looking good, as long as you have had zeros for a few days I think you should be able to start moving things over, but would advise you to do it slowly/gradually so you don't overload the new tank.

I had the same dilemma with my Hawaiian Damsel, but he wasn't little!! In the end I found an LFS who would take him. What I've read about shoals of damsels is that the same bullying/aggression occurs, but within the group so the problem doesn't really go away. Personally I would leave him in the nano until you can find a home for him.

Abradinho

New test results:

Temp: 26 Celsius ;)
Salinity: 1.025 (Pinpoint monitor) ;)
Kh: 8 (JBL) ;)
pH: 8,25 (Pinpoint monitor) ;)
Ammonia: 0 (Salifert) ;)
Nitrite: 0 (Salifert) ;)
Nitrate: 0 (Salifert) ;)
Phosphate: 0 (Salifert) ;)
Calsium: 370 (Salifert) :dunno:
Magnesium: 1400 (Salifert) ;)

I've been adding some Limewater since last update and it really helped me on my pH issue. 8,25 is much better than 7,93... :) Still haven't recieved my sand by post from Germany, that's the only thing I'm waiting for before I'll start moving my nano stock... I've been so bad at cleaning my nano since I got my RSM250 so I think I soon have to move the livestock anyway, but wanted to wait until the sand was in.... we'll see what happens... values are good (except calcium, will probably be better with more limewater) anyway! :)

jpsika08

Everything seems fine, maybe Ca a liitle low and Mg a little high.

Regarding the damsel, do not consider it at least as your first fish, they are very territorial :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Post us some pics ! All progressing nicley - weekly water changes of about 10 gallons & should should be good to go & should dial in the CA !
1218.gif