My husband is a piece of work (long)

BarbMazz

This is the only sensible way to do this. If you try it seperate O/F and return pump for your fuge, you will have to allow for drain down with a power outage losing valuable volume. Running as Bluespot suggests you can use full volume and do not have another pump to heat you up or maintain. To get the most of pod production have the drain from the fuge aimed at the first baffle after your skimmer.

So, Steve, you're saying that I will have to have a low level of water in the refugium to prevent flooding if I have the fuge on a separate circle?

A question about check valves.. would they work in a setup like this to stop downward flow in the event of a power loss event? I have a whole house generator that kicks in after two minutes, so a check valve would only have to hold for those two minutes. Is that viable?

Triggerjay

You need to check out my thread. I have a 125g w/basement sump/fuge. Plumbing is simple, and works well. Heres the link:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/21187-triggerjays-new-125g-build-thread.html

I used an iwaki 100 for a return pump. It pumps about 10 feet vertical, then over 7 feet, and up another 5 feet. so, about 15 feet vertical head. I run a sequence dart for a closed loop. Fuge is in the basement. My main return pump output is split, and valved, so I can control flow to the fuge, and the main display. fuge simply drains back into the sump.

Jason

Witfull

i see hubby wanting a bigger TV after all this is done....(he is a rascally con man~{i like him})

Triggerjay

So, Steve, you're saying that I will have to have a low level of water in the refugium to prevent flooding if I have the fuge on a separate circle?

A question about check valves.. would they work in a setup like this to stop downward flow in the event of a power loss event? I have a whole house generator that kicks in after two minutes, so a check valve would only have to hold for those two minutes. Is that viable?

Dont trust chack valves. They get stuck open with detritus, etc very quickly. I drill small pinholes in my return lines just below the water level. This way, if power goes out, the hole acts as a siphon break. The tank will only drain down to the pinhole.

Jason

tbittner

LOL, no this is helpful, if only for me to think that the pipes need to be fastened to prevent bowing.

John has been busy googling about types of pipe... he seems to fixate on flexible PVC at the moment. I sure hope this doesn't become HIS hobby! :)

As happens in a lot of households, it becomes the families hobby. Great fun for everyone. :)

BarbMazz

i see hubby wanting a bigger TV after all this is done....(he is a rascally con man~{i like him})

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes he IS a rascally con man!! Just for the record he already knows he's getting a bigger tv when the basement is finished... so nyah, nyah, nyah!! :lol:

Techno-Vicki

I'm with the 'go bigger' team. The 65 might last 8 months and then you will say, "Gee, it I had more room I could have...." IME. My 29 lasted 4 months then got the 55 as well. then I though, "Hummm..., if I combine the two, wow, I could get...." Oh yes, that bigger bug does bite and when it does, look out.

Triggerjay

I'm with the 'go bigger' team. The 65 might last 8 months and then you will say, "Gee, it I had more room I could have...." IME. My 29 lasted 4 months then got the 55 as well. then I though, "Hummm..., if I combine the two, wow, I could get...." Oh yes, that bigger bug does bite and when it does, look out.

I am at the end of my "bigger" bug. Now I just add more tanks into the system.. lol

Jason

BarbMazz

I'm with the 'go bigger' team. The 65 might last 8 months and then you will say, "Gee, it I the 55 as well. then I though, "Hummm..., if I combine the two, wow, I could get...." Oh yes, that bigger bug does bite and when it does, look out.

My thought is this; I have my little 65 upstairs, and in the basement just across the wall where my equipment room will be there will be a REALLY big tank. The wall it could sit on is about 16ft long, and nothing planned for it :) . Well, I guess there IS something planned for it now! LOL

Of course as soon as John liked the idea of the basement equipment area I thought of a HUGE tank right there next to it! I'm not foolish you know!!! LOL

BarbMazz

65 plasma,,,65 plasma,,,,65~

You are the President of the Rascally Con Man Club, aren't you!!

So what's YOUR take on the tank plan so far? Offer up any Wit's Wisdoms for the best way to plumb this? Pretty please, with TV on it?

Triggerjay

WOW! This thread just started, and its already as long as mine. Maybe I need to change my name... lol

Jason

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Well this is my thought I havegone from 20 gallons to 1320 gallons Plus a 380 gallon sump 65" plasma & a 42" so that it that

I would suggest the Sequence Marlin Pump you will be looking @ about 12-1300 GPH @ 13'. I would stongly suggest a swing check valve I have used them & never had one fail I would also add the anti syphon holes as a backup.

ReeFlo Pumps