My CREE 180w LED thread

PIMPALA

Ok, instead of cluttering up my reef chronicle thread on my big tank, I'm just going to start this thread, keeping track of this lighting experiment and my tanks progress on this lighting from opening the box, to coral growth.

Here are the fixtures:

I got 6 units this shipment. Each unit retails at $400ish USD, and should light a 2'x2'x2' area in the tank.

2bc1b59f.jpg

739d552d.jpg

Each unit is WELL packaged, and everything is very easy to set up, and put together.

8ca0b3c5.jpg

4e25b549.jpg

Each unit comes with a separate control for the blue and white (there are 10 of each) so you can light acclimate your tank by just turning a knob.

0ec7267b.jpg

hooked up, but lights off:

e98d65ce.jpg

blue on only (lowest setting)

119ba1af.jpg

white only (lowest setting)

94b8bcf9.jpg

white and blue (lowest setting)

2d3a8dda.jpg

both on, highest setting

b6fdcb2b.jpg

back side of unit.

heat sink, cooling fan, which is temperature controlled via built in thermostat

2d2bc9a2.jpg

each unit comes with 2 digital timers as well, blue and white not only have separate intensity controls, but separate plugs and timers!

5ba39a8d.jpg

also comes with a nice hanging kit

1dd27d91.jpg

spec sheet:

733f5353.jpg

i'll post more, and add to this thread as i get home and start setting the lights up on the tank. :)

PIMPALA

ok, i hung, then re-hung, and re-hung again. they are up... BUT:

because my tank is 24" front to back, i have to turn them so they are facing front to back, instead of lining them up side to side. then, the problem is that i have no coverage in the middle of the tank.

so im glad i ordered more, because tomorrow im going to hang a 3rd light in the center of the tank.

anyway, here is what it looks like with only 2:

OLD 6 bulb T-5 setup:

831bd991.jpg

a pair of 60 watt fixtures, turned lengthwise:

(you can see the dark areas in the front and back of the tank)

f85fe3ee.jpg

here they are turned with them facing front to back:

86990594.jpg

then just the blue lights on, and turned all the way down:

7c2ec0b5.jpg

will post more tomorrow when i install the other fixture in the middle.

GlassMunky

wow, its amazing at how much of a difference the direction its facing makes...... Looks good though. cant wait to see/hear how the corals like it.

jpsika08

They look really nice, indeed you need the third fixture to compensate the middle section.
Do you think enough light is getting to the bottom? as your tank is really high.

Congrats and keep us posted :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Are these capable of programming to gradually raise & lower intensity (sunrise/sunset ramping up & down)?

PIMPALA

Ok!! WOOHOO!!

3rd light did it! I'm in love with my LEDs!!!

6883acee.jpg

WINNER WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!!!

PIMPALA

Thanks Mack!

I'll take and post some current coral pics soon, and then post more weekly or monthly depending on growth, so we can see how well everything does under the LEDs. :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome! Stuff like that only takes a few seconds. Looking forward to those progress reports!

Wow... those look nice! The metal LED to power supply connector is a nice touch... I don't see that type of build quality much. Would love to see some PAR measurements... has this been tested by anyone??

-Shaun :wave:

PIMPALA

OMAS, the local club here has a PAR meter... maybe I should borrow it, and get some readings!!!

jpsika08

Those Leds look incredible and more impressive the light penetration with your tank being so high, a par meter sound a must to see how much light is going though, congrats :)

PIMPALA

Ok, whites are up all the way... but no meter yet.

however, I thought that since they are up, and rocking... i'd take some pics of corals in my tank today, and track the growth progress with pictures every other week or so.

on to the good stuff!

(please excuse some of the pics. my tank is 24" front to back, so its difficult to focus on corals at the very back of the tank)

first... a FTS:

DSC02539.jpg

duncans:

DSC02540.jpg

shrooms:

DSC02541.jpg

DSC02559.jpg

DSC02556.jpg

2 diff types of frogspawn:

DSC02543.jpg

hammer:

DSC02545.jpg

Zoas and Palys:

DSC02547.jpg

DSC02548.jpg

DSC02549.jpg

DSC02551.jpg

DSC02557.jpg

DSC02558.jpg

DSC02562.jpg

xenia, and zoas:

DSC02560.jpg

my Acans that have been receding ever since the 46 broke and they were exposed to air for a few hours :(

DSC02561.jpg

Leathers:

DSC02554.jpg

a little piece of GSP hitch hiker

DSC02555.jpg

some GSP that im trying to get to grow up onto the overflow:

DSC02542.jpg

couple of colt corals, and some more zoas:

DSC02546.jpg

candy canes:

DSC02550.jpg

torch:

DSC02552.jpg

PIMPALA

i'll get some SPS pics this week. two of them got knocked over by freakin turbo snails, and they are on the frag rack. i hate turbo snails BTW, and every one of them but a couple (cant get them right now) are mantis food. nom nom nom.