My Blue Ribbon Eel eats! (pics and videos)

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
He is great looking and you've done a great job to determine what it takes to take care of your eel. Great job!

kathywithbirds

WOW. He is a beautiful animal. Congrats on long term success. How long do they live?

The flow thing; is it possible they like the flow over their gills (breathing?) I don't know anything about eel construction.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Good question, how long they live. I only know that I think 5 years is the longest I have read about on a forum. I even waited 6 months to post the pics and vids (Aug 2006 to Feb 2007) just to make sure it was for real.

He does love flow. He will seek it out.

RiotNrrrd

Good question, how long they live. I only know that I think 5 years is the longest I have read about on a forum. I even waited 6 months to post the pics and vids (Aug 2006 to Feb 2007) just to make sure it was for real.

Hello, I just signed up after finding this post from a Google search.

I have the world's longest-lived Ribbon Eel in captivity. It is something like 31 years old now. My ex and I got it when we lived in Arcadia CA and we moved away from there in 1985. It has gone through 6 moves like a champ in that time. I have been buying it feeder guppies at the same place (The Fish Cove in La Crescenta, CA) for over a decade, they can vouch for a good part of the age. It is like the Energizer Bunny, it never got the memo that it was supposed to die from 6 months to a year due to fragility!

(I would post a pic but apparently I need to have 5 posts first before I can do that.)

jerry26

oh that sucks. did he die?

by update i just meant repost because those links appeared dead when i tried them.

RiotNrrrd

The eel did great for 6 years, but slowly started eating less, and finally knew it was the end when he came halfway out overnight to die.

That's really sad to hear. Was there anything else in the tank? How often did you feed it? With what?

I have nothing else in my 60 gallon tank (out of paranoia - don't want to stress the eel out) and I feed it 2 dozen feeder guppies (it thumbs its nose at anything else) once a week, like clockwork. 30+ years and counting ...

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
It was a regular reef tank. I fed a silverside once a week, although he would occasionally catch small narrow fish.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
RiotNrrrd

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance: