my 90g braceless/framless tank!! 36x24x24"

tigerarmy90

well as some of you may know I wanted to do a tank with these dims for some time! I had a 40g reef for about three years while I was living in a upstairs apt. so as you can probably guess a sump was out of the question!

About 2 years ago I bought my home and the planning started :) I knew I wanted a 36x24x24 design beacuse I have always loved the 24" wide tanks due to the flexability when aquascaping. I wanted the braceless look cause I really dig the clean lines and open top look with those polished edges.

here is what it started as
65gcalfo2267fy.jpg

and here is what I got
IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

tigerarmy90

thanks, the closed loop was designed with the oceans mothion 4 ways in mind. The tank is drilled with one 2" drain and four 1" returns so Ill be running a sequence dart with the 4 way with a version 3 drum!! Im going to plum it so the top to run then the bottom and continued.

tigerarmy90

thanks boozeman! proabably familiar with it from reefcentral, the 3d was made by another reefer that did a 36x24x18 without the closed loop so I got his permission to use and it made some changes to it :)

I also built my stand using a template from reefcentral, this thing worked wonders cause I am no great diy'er, lol
Reef Central Online Community - DIY Stands Template and Calculator

Emmas1stdayofpreshcooland3rdbirt-2.jpg

stand2.jpg

stand1.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

everyone told me not to attempt the flush door but I think it came out alright
IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Picture089.jpg

tigerarmy90

thanks fellas, I have been taking my time at being impatient about everything. I have ran into a small dilema when it comes to my lighting. I guess I thinking about my check book more then anything. I have a single lumenarc 3 reflector and 2x lumenarc mini's. I have two pfo ballast so I have the option to run both the mini's but I oplan on running 10k halides so I will def need some actinic supplimentation to ballance out the color. So if I go with the dual halides I will need more actinic to make it work and if I go with a single then just a 2 bulb actinic set up would do...since i jsut made everyone a little dumber for having read this ;) let me simplify one halide will mean 2 actinic bulbs and two halides will mean 4 actinic bulbs. Im thinking I iwll either be going vho or t5vho

I really like the natural look so for me 14 or 20k are out of the question.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I got lost....

1 Mh = 2 Actinic
2 Mh = 4 Actinic

Why is that? I'd run as much as I could in order to benefit the tank... if you can fit 2 Mh + 4 T5 go for it. But if it's space then 1 MH = 4 T5 (or more)

:)

prow

let me simplify one halide will mean 2 actinic bulbs and two halides will mean 4 actinic bulbs
lost me too? you mean one MH needs 2 actinic bulbs for supplement lighting and 2 MH will need 4 actinic bulbs???

tigerarmy90

thats it! I like the look of a nice balanced out 10k bulb, I bought a coralvue 10k , reeflux 10k and hamilton 10k and have tested them all on my pfo ballast and so far Im liking the hamilton the best. I still want to try out the xm to see if I like the look. When I fire both my hamiltons with two vho's the actinic comes through but not quite as much as I would like, I think they are getting overpowered by the mh. with a single mh it comes out to pretty nice color...Im also keeping my pg&e in mind! I will more then likely just give in and do both mh's and maybe 4xvho's. Ill add some pics of the hood I built and the reflectors in it later this week!

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Greg glad to see you have made it here. Stand looks great.

BTW Michael_cb125 & anyone else who is courious about tanks I build this is one of them. As Greg mentioned it took alot of planning for this one

mps9506

Nice tank, I love the dimensions. Sounds like you think the way I do.
Are you worried about noise with your overflow setup that way?

BTW, do you do external overflows as well Jack?

lcstorc

Looks like you are off to a great start.
I assume you are going to hang the lights to preserve the frameless look.

tigerarmy90

mps, Im not too worried about the overflow, I plan to do a external standpipe with an airline to break the siphon affect so it should be pretty quiet...Im thinking Ill have to mess with it a little to dial it in but it should work out

lynn I will def be hanging the lights, I built the hood to be a hanging pendant that matches the stand! now I just have to figure our how to hang it securely and make it so I can adjust the height easily...here are some pics of the hoods progress

I routed the edges to match the stand
IMG_0196.jpg

I had this mermaid imported from bali to finish off the look of the pendant
IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

with the l3 reflector in it
IMG_0217.jpg

tigerarmy90

thanks kyle! as it works out I came across a icecap660 tonight with the bult in timer so ill be on the hunt for a wiring harness with endcaps and individual reflectors so I can run t5's. I may need to save up a bit though...