My 85 gallon DT- A work in progress!!!

leslie

sand2_zps3955bb61.jpg

leslie

I will post the complete fishtank tonight when there is no reflections going on. It was very simple to add the sand! It looks much better as well!!!

forestal

Hi Leslie, very nice tank. I agree with above comments on sand bed. I have just rejoined the reefing hobby, hence my later response to your thread.
I wanted to comment on the cyano you had. In general it will grow in response to excess nutrients which your higher nitrates are showing. Having good water flow (and getting rid of the crushed coral) to keep dead flow areas from forming helps quite a bit and doing routine regular water changes to dilute the bad stuff. If you are overfeeding the tank, this can creat excess nutrients, but I am a fan of keeping the nutrient levels high for the inverts/sand critters and corals, and doing water changes to keep the water health. Consider getting some critters to populate your sand bed to help eat the detritus - the two best i know of are GARF (their grunge) and IndoPacific Sea Farms. Then you should not have to siphon the sand, the critters can keep it clean. By keeping the same routine, this will help the tank adjust.
regarding your tang. any chance of catching him and taking some pics quick? sounds like maybe gettin picked on but concerned if fins are eaten away and white growth.

leslie

Thank you Dan for your comments. I have pics of my Kole tang posted in the Re: Fish Diseases & Treatments and what he looks like and what I am treating him with. And the red cyno is an on going problem we need more water flow and working on that. I do tend to overfeed still. I just dont want my fish to be hungry at all!

leslie

Thank you very much. Kole is doing fine. He just hides in the pipe. He is still eating and pokes his head out to be nosey if we are in the room. Looks like his fins are healing just fine. Thanks for the concern.

Leslie

leslie

UPDATE: Well the cleaner wrasse got sucked down our overflow box into our sump and did not make it. So we no longer have him. However I do have some GREAT NEWS!!!!!! Our cinnamon clowns are laying eggs again!!! I am so excited! She laid them in the pot! The eggs are about a week old now. Guess they are comfy and got use to the change. I am so excited! I love to see them lay eggs!

Reefer85

Sorry to hear about the cleaner wrasse - I've had a few fish and hermit crabs take a ride into my sump as well... I have no mechanical filtration, so most make it ok. Most of the fish I've lost were due to suicide a.k.a. jumping out of the tank :(

awesome news on the Kole tang!!! and very cool on the clown eggs!

leslie

The kole tang is doing great. He is back in the tank and loving every minute of it! As soon as we put him back in there he was swimming around and pecking at all the algae. He was like, yayyyy I'm home! lol.