My 29 Bio Cube build thread

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hello, I am new to Reef Sanctuary, for those of you interested in watching tanks grow, I will be posting my progress with my new 29 BioCube. My Fiance got it for me for my birthday.

It will be a softy tank, no sps, or lps. Here is where it starts....
Week of 6/8/07 to 6/15/07:
Tank setup with 20lbs live sand, bio balls removed, chamber 1 to 2 extra flow mod between them, by the end of the week put 6 lbs LR to start..looks like this:
normal_tank3.jpg

week 6/16/07-6/23/07:
added about 6-7 more lbs and some turbos to get this thing going!!!
Looks a little bit better now....
normal_tankprogress%232-2.jpg

normal_tankprogress%232-side.jpg

Shortly after these pics were taken, I added another 10-12 lbs throughout the week, and threw a few(2) lbs of LR in the middle chamber 'till I get my skimmer

Water tested perfect on wed (6/27) pH 8.3 , 0-nh3, 0-no2, 10ppm no3. And added another 5lbs of LS, now 25lbs. I couldnt pass these little bit of zoo's, 3 different greens(all 3 for $9), and 1 Ricordia (perleaf $8)

Here is the final aquascape(though I can still add if I needed to!):
normal_tankprogress%233-2.jpg

About a week or so ago I got these Ring of Fire zoa's for $20:
normal_ringoffirepolyps.jpg

and the rest of the polyps:
normal_mdpolyps.jpg

normal_smpolyps.jpg

normal_xspolyps2.jpg

I need to get a good pic of the green ricordea, and I just got a new Orange and green ricordea. I will get a pic as soon as he looks happy again, and here is my first fish...Klausewitz's Blenny:
normal_klausewitzBlenny.jpg

And finally, that brings us to TODAY: A full tank shot
normal_tankprogress%234-2.jpg

Enjoy, I will keep posting as long as people keep coming to check it out.

Please, feel free to leave any suggestions, even though sometimes it may be hard to change my set mind.

aquaman3680

Welcome to RS! That blenny is awesome! Tank looks great and it looks like you have a lot of cool zoos!

Matt

Cassette87

Nice zoa's! I have those same ring of fire morphs! beautiful zoas for sure! You got ricordea polyps for $8 bucks each! holy cow! send me some :D Nice start!

tippMANn98

Thanks guys, come on down to Florida and get some rics!!! Well, I traded a piece of my zoos, these:
normal_mdpolyps.jpg

which only paid about $3(got all 3 green sets for $9 total) I traded them because they werent happy in my tank, all the other zoos are just fine, so are the ric's, so I traded them for a nice, fat neon goby, they traded straight up, he cost $12.99, so I got a good deal, and so will the LFS with a little extra profit on the zoos

Thanks for the replys, I will keep it updated...

Last edited:

Cassette87

Sounds like a deal! We need a picture of the new little guy! Glad to hear everything is doing well! How are you liking the biocube? Have you made any modifications to it? I just may have to find you the next time i'm down at my family's place... you close to indian shores / largo / clearwater? :D

Cassette87

Hmm.. Tempting, very tempting. I wonder how hard it would be to take them home though. I like your set up so far! Glad to hear everything is doing well! How are you liking the biocube? Have you made any modifications to it?

tippMANn98

so far just the extra flow in the middle chamber, no other mods yet, gonna do the nanocustoms 3.36 to 108w with an extra 50/50 bulb...

Cassette87

Awesome :) I'm very curious to see how your cube comes along! I've got an 8 gallon biocube that's on hold right now for financial reasons :D so watching your tank come together will give me an idea of what to expect!

goldenmean

Great pics.
and great job of aquascaping!

That is one cute little blenny.
He kinda looks like piano keys

lcstorc

Nice tank. I really like your scape and those zoas look awesome.
Cool blenney as well. That is a new one to me and he is adorable.
Keep an eye on your tests. With this size of tank and as new as it is the paramaters can get out of control quickly.
Meanwhile, keep up the good work and keep posting pics. We love it.

tippMANn98

You know what...I seen that blenny one time in a bood, The mini marine atlas(i think its burgess) but never in any other books, and I cant seem find it online( i just wanna know exactly where he is native too, its prob. indo...just wanna be sure, so if you seem him lemme know!)

Yea, so far I have been testing every week, my testing day is tommorrow, and my W/C day is friday, so I will see how it is this week, everything seems to be fine so far, I will keep it updated, and probably wont be adding anything for a little while, I am scheduled to be buying my sapphire skimmer the first week in aug, cant wait, trying to save money up....thanks everybody for their interests!!! any other suggestios? Just let them go...if I havent already done them!! UNTIL NEXT TIME!!

tippMANn98

Tests as of last night.....
ph-8.3
nh3+4-0
NO2-0
N03-less than 10 ppm
S.G-1.025
calcium-450ppm
alkalinity- 7-8

all my baby shrimps have dissapeared(eaten alive!!) Everything is absolutley gorgeous right now.

caitrina

I just looked up your Blenny in my late husband's diver's reef book. He was a diver and instructor and sometimes some of the books he had come in handy. So here is some info about your blenny, if this is the same one

He is also known as Disco Blenny and / or white blenny
He is a omnivore, and territorial with the same species and his disposition is semi-aggressive. His mature size is about 4 inches and he hails from Western Indo Pacific / Sri Lanka , he is White with black stripe running from eye along dorsal region. Beside the venemous portion of his description it says : considered to be. Also says he is reef safe and his hardiness is moderate.

tippMANn98

So here is some info about your blenny, if this is the same one
He is also known as Disco Blenny and / or white blenny

Thanks for thinking of me and checking, thats very much appreciated.
I couldnt find thing on either two of these, and the venomous species are that of the Meiacanthus genius(I think) I finally did find something on mine though, and that there are 2 different color varients, One is like mine, the other doesnt have the "piano key" marks along the body. Here is what I found:

Lined Combtooth Blenny (Ecsenius lineatus)

Got some really cool pics of my tank, I was bored this weekend so I bought another leaf of Ricordea, its a light neon teal. and then took a bunch of pictures...