My 200gl

JoJo

hey Brian. it looks like your sand is just very much alive. but i understand it has to be pleasing to your eyes as well, if the raking and syphoning works keep at it. do you plan on getting a CUC?

cracker

hey Brian. it looks like your sand is just very much alive. but i understand it has to be pleasing to your eyes as well, if the raking and syphoning works keep at it. do you plan on getting a CUC?
It's not unpleasing to my eye really. I do see it as a sign of excess nutrients etc. I only get it in the same areas as well. There is something in the sand in these spots feeding the green stuff. I had a bunch of snails that I collected but they did not live long. They turned out to be the Ilyanassa Obsoleta snails. They are not true Nassarius snails & didn't last long in my warm water tank. A year at most. That snail eating hawkfish didn't help either. Yes Joe I need a proper CUC not sure what I want.
My new 14k hamiltons are looking better. They seem not as blue. Maybe I'm just getting used to them. I some how managed to melt my new Zoanthids
HPIM0960.jpg

They looked like this for almost a week now all I see is a bare rock. I don't see any closed up polyps or anything just gone. I moved them lower under some shade. Then to a spot with less flow, then more flow. The rest of my corals appear to be doing fine.

cracker

OK not sure who, but somebody started this:ponder2:

I'm "considering" moving my tank forward 6 to 7 feet from it's current spot.
HPIM0992.jpg

HPIM0986.jpg

I hope the pics show the area I have to wrk with. If & I repeat IF I move this tank forward from the back wall , I can have at most a 10 by 7 foot area behind the tank for aquarium related equipment. No less than 6 by 10 feet. There would be many advantages in this move. Room for a sink,work bench & water containers a bigger sump & much better access to the plumbing. Also I could install an ac unit in the window for better temp control. I guess the space in question is the "dinning room". It's wasted space. Folks,I don't even have a table & chairs anyway. No more unsightly buckets & long hoses or rolling cans full of water from the kitchen. The pic in my last post shows a 1.5 " intake It was intended to supply a closed loop but has been capped off & never used. I couldn't get to it now even if I wanted to. The setup over all is fine but "could" be so much better. Is it worth it?

coleBB

dude that seems like a lot of work...but i know how somthing can bug the crap out of you untill you make it right in your own mind..if your gonna do it...do it now be4 you have it totally stocked...go for it, recruit some help

JoJo

i got faith in you Brian. since you built the tank wall you know how to take it apart and put it back together easy. i think the hardest part will be draining the tank and if you have enough tubs then it really not a problem. next would be getting enough muscle to help you move the tank and stand forward but you and 1 or 2 other guys shouldnt have a problem doing.

i say just draw up a plan while thinking back to how you put it together and add to the plan what you want now and think of what you may want in the future.

cracker

I'm considering it. Won't be any time soon that is for sure. The actual move is the easy part really. I have plenty of good time buddies I can trick into coming over by offering beer & oysters. The complicated part is in the planning out all the changes /improvements in plumbing etc. I have to get it right this time or the move is a waste. 1st off I need to find a place for this equipment. This was in the kitchen. I have since taken it all out except the sink & did a lot of painting. The bench was quite functional but unsightly to say the least. I did change the wall color! LOL
workbench.jpg

cracker

OK, 1st I want better overflows. The ones I have now are too small & too tall. Do I want a trough type/ overflow across the entire back? Do I want to cut notches or not . A trough type across the entire back will conflict with my return manifold so that will need to be changed as well. I probably need to take this up in the DIY forum. Can someone please tell me where I got side tracked here? All I wanted was an aquarium with a couple of fish!:laughroll

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
...... Can someone please tell me where I got side tracked here? All I wanted was an aquarium with a couple of fish!:laughroll

LOL!

Looking good Brian. Save the move for a long weekend and scratch off everything else you may have planned. Get lots of towels, buckets and tylenol :D

I wish I had 6' behind my reef tank! I would move mine in a heartbeat.

JoJo

questions...so many questions, i think i've had one too many to drink tonight to give any advice. let me sleep this off and i get back with you tomorrow.

JoJo

Hey Brian!!! how's life treating you? i was starting to wonder about you, LOL. you must bless us with some updated pics of your tank, just think of it as early christmas gifts to the RS family

cracker

Hey Brian!!! how's life treating you? i was starting to wonder about you, LOL. you must bless us with some updated pics of your tank, just think of it as early christmas gifts to the RS family

Well said My Friend! I hope Santa brings me a camera, but I have my doubts. Life is treating me well ,just enough to get me thru troubled times.
Sorry , no pics for now.

JoJo

Not to worry good buddy, positive things are in your favor. its only a matter of time before these troubled waters are under the bridge, just keep your optimistic attitude. Have a good Thanksgiving Brian!