My 200gl

StirCrayzy

Nah, as long as you drill your own holes.;)
This came out at Macna literally right after I setup my current tank. I would've used this design for sure if I would've thought of it first, it's awesome and super low intrusive.

cracker

Thanks Stir! I feel better already seeing how I just ordered the thing. we shall see just how cool this overflow is
. Also A Happy new Year to all :clink:

cracker

I drilled the big tank. The 1st time You drill a tank can be an intimidating experience I knew for sure I was going to bust it at any second! My reasoning/rationalization for the pricey overflow ? Some day in the future I see this 75 as a nice reef only. I just want it to look good. For now it will be for LobsterBoy and a couple of cool fish maybe or whatever possibly? Anyway I have the hole saw and it will be fun building the bean /animal whatever overflows. I hope You Folks will give me some OP's on this.

Now that the holidays are over and a new Year is here, It's back to work!:banghead:

StirCrayzy

The bean setup is just a herbie with an emergency overflow. Very simple to setup, once it's adjusted, you pretty much just forget about it.

cracker

Good Lord I'm so tired of reading threads watching video's about herbie whatever over flows! I got questions already. The 1st is How long do I have to wait for this fancy overflow? 2nd question, I assume the full siphon drain needs to exit under the water level of the sump. So how do I run that thru a sock? I could be missing something. I usually do. I just want the overflow so I can start playing,,, No I meant doing careful experimentation on the proper fluid dynamic of this system. ;)

cracker

Thanks Stir Some I saw some were new. I understand the principle. There are differing ways to do it. For simplicity the open drains (no durso type 90). I think I will use durso type stand pipes . The full siphon won't have a hole drilled in the cap. The 2nd will have the hole drilled in the cap for a little air(if nesessary). The 3rd just a open stand pipe for emergencies. I need to experiment. This will be a fun project !
Ok back to the 200. It's been a month since I started it. The skimmer is back to normal now. I'm about to add the 2nd half of the pellets. Hope it's not too soon. The tank is looking cleaner however my stony corals aren't to happy though. Stir I liked the way Your sump is setup.!

StirCrayzy

Thanks, it works well, but the setup takes a bit to self start the main siphon when the return pump does a power off/on cycle. This is partially my fault for running the ATS off the main full siphon drain
If I go at it again I would use a gate valve for the adjustment, and a ball valve to lock the water in the pipe instead of letting the siphon break during WC. does that make sense?. It would instantly resume siphon when the ball valve is opened after switching the return back on.

cracker

Makes sense to me! A ball valve at the bottom will trap enough water to start the siphon right off. Stir, So You do have a down turned intakes for the full siphon and partial drain?

cracker

This video is exacltly what was happening to me same sized over flow, same 2 u tubes exactly. It's even flowing more water! I hope this video works for You! I'm stunned at how easy it was !

cracker

Cool the video worked! The air line down the tube worked very well. so simple and it bought me some time . It was gurgling real bad. I could here it at the other end of the house!

cracker

Ok so I received the synergy overflow. Very well made . Lot's of questions for the plumbing from the box to the sump! Also they are mighty proud of these pvc gate valves, demanding a high price !

cracker

So I ordered a gate valve a couple of days ago. While waiting I'm was considering what nature of sand bed I want to try. Iv'e already had a very dsb. This round I"think" I want to go with a shallow sandbed maybe 2 inches max. I can go to the jetties and get some livesand next to the rocks. This fine sand is most likely silica or I can go to another spot and get this very course ground seashell stuff called "coquina" or I can buy some bagged sand from the LFS and seed with some sand from the jetties. LOL Sorry for the ramble, I'm talking to myself here and we can't come to a decision ! Any OP's on a proper shallow sand bed would be appreciated !:dunno:

cracker

LOL! After doing some other research on sand depth, I understand why there are no OP's . There were some outright hostilities breaking out concerning this subject! I'm going to let it go and just put a couple on inches of whatever sand in there and call it good! Maybe I'll have a major break thru on reef keeping !:roflmao:

StirCrayzy

I think around here you don't get the hostility. In general I've found there are many different opinions on why you shouldnt be between 2-4", but have yet to see any response to WHY tanks that are literally in that range are able to have success. My theory is that a person who is attentive to the tanks needs offsets the perceived risk associated with the 2-4" sand range.
I prefer 2-3 "for aesthetic reasons, no other.