My 200gl

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
^
DD's 210G Monster

I had to use hard wool pads on a variable speed grinder, with a wet paste of Cerium Oxide to polish the glass back to clear. This in essence totally resurfaces the glass. Its sweaty, time consuming and a bit nasty work, but it will do the job. Be sure to wear safety glasses...cerium oxide is hard enough to scratch/polish glass, its certainly hard enough to reek havoc on the eyes. Keep it wet.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Click on the link... ^ this was an extract from DD's post/tank & what he did... he seems to know :nessie:

maybe the wool is referring to lambs wool ???

I have never attempted anything remotely close :winky:

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/de...gle-PLA+-+Test&CS_003=7867724&CS_010=66631219
6663121-21.jpg

Last edited:

cracker

Ok folks I got,2nd hand a reef octopus skimmer (nw-200) Not sure what the nw stands for. A mag 18 and a newer model hydor power head, not sure how big. These items are for the 75. Now if I measured correctly, the skimmer will just barely fit under the tank!

cracker

Thanks Nano I think so too. Now I'm going to use the huge wetdry I have. Any issues You see using a skimmer with a wet dry? I don't. Now I haven't actually tried yet but I think the return pump,skimmer and pump will just barely fit into the return section of this old SeaLife systems wetdry I have. There is a pic on post 584. Thanks.

cracker

Ok the skimmer takes up all the room in the return section! There is no room at all for a return pump. I'm down right... open to interpretation !
I just as well set this up on the 200 I can use the ASM g4x and this reef octo 200. Now, I can just use the wetdry with no skimmer, or I can use the old 55 for a sump??? Wait a second, I could use the whimpy Sealife systems skimmer I have that would fit but it fell apart and needs some work??? Honestly folks can somebody tell me how got I get myself into all of this? I think it's the lobster's fault!

Last edited:

cracker

So today I cut a wall out if the old wetdry so the skimmer would fit . The mag 18 is way too much pump for this tank. 1800 gph at 145 watts. What was I thinkin? Like I said I cut a wall out of the wetdry. one section, 12 by 12 by 8" will use bio balls. the rest is for the return and skimmer. One problem, to get the least amount of water level for this skimmer means about 1 1/2 inches of bioballs will be underwater. I hope that won't be a big deal. so with the LR the bioballs and this big skimmer I hope will be enough .
I need to come up with a proper sized pump. so far I've spent 150$ for the skimmer and one can of spray paint to touch up the stand.o I had to cut out the shelf ( under the stand)so the sump sits on the floor . now I have plenty of room for this tall skimmer. wait I had another 34 bucks for the new impeller.

Now I have an excuse to go down to St Augastine to the beach for some coquina sand.

cracker

Your right Stir ,however down here in Florida We don't have to worry about heaters. I have probs keeping the tank cool enough ! Anyway I cut the pan with all the holes drilled in it thats part of the wetdry and braced the whole thing across the top . After I cut the wall out there was some bowing. now the leak test outside. so far so good. I'll have freshwater running thru the system this weekend.

cracker

Today I skipped the freshwater run and started making some salt water but fell short on the salt! I still have the water from last night's water change . That should be enough. Do I want to use the left over water from my display? I could fill it right now! Or do I have patience and buy some more salt tomorrow? This is killin me ! LOL

cracker

Stir, I could have used it. However it was getting late, Again I was into my cups and bored. I'm glad I waited. Today I purchased a syncra sicce 3.0 pump.. I was amazed that this pimpy, little pump was enough to overwhelm a single utube over flow box. I had to adjust it down a bit. So I have water flowing thru out. Watching it close so far no leaks. This reef octopus skimmer is pretty cool. The fancy red adjust knob makes it very easy to fine tune, even though I have idea what that is . I got 24 lbs of rock from my buddy up the street. He was curing this rock for some time ,using my tub by the way. So it paid off I got my tub back and some cured rock. LOL my next step is to get more rock and start the cycle process. Thanks Everybody for following along !

cracker

Today I realized I have the opportunity to setup this new tank differently . In the past I always used LR and had to have a high flow sump. Why? That's a good question. I can only say I'm set in my ways. This round I want to use sterile base rock and a lower volume of flow thru the sump. This way I can
try /compare both ways. I think we had this flow debate on K State's thread a few months ago. This is what I have so far. Not completely sterile 25 lbs of well cured rock from another tank.

cracker

So last night my dishwasher died. No not the dog ,the actual dishwasher. Even though my pet does double duty as Dish Dog as well as guardian of my lodge. Any way there was a big wet mess . I pulled the ancient thing and decided it needs replacing. So I will have to wait on some base rock for the new setup. It won't take long! I figure tomorrow when I go to Martin's appliance , The LFS is just a block or two further. LOL

cracker

Today I realized that this 75 is a side project and need to keep focused on the 200. The 75 is just fine bubbling away,for the time being. About 3 weeks ago I removed the bio pellet reactor . I wasn't sure if it was doing any good. Well In this very short time the HH is coming back. Never did like the setup and want to get a proper reactor . I was using a little fishy's 550 phosban reactor. but the fittings were so small I never could get enough flow to get a meaningful amount peas sized pellets to tumble properly. So then I tried the larger macaroni sized pellets. supposedly they didn't need to tumble. Is this true? I don't know. Anyway, I can say bio pellets work. What I don't know how to get them working as efficiently as possible. So now it's research concerning a proper bio pellet reactor.