My 14 gallon biocube

bbe22

Airstone driven protein skimmers aren't exactly the most efficient. Make sure you have a wooden airstone, not a cheap stone one, and replace it frequently (at least once a month). Run it as hard as you can without the water flowing out of the top. It may take a day or two to get foam, but once you do you'll know that it is working. Also, make sure to empty the cup daily. You don't want that sludge getting back into your sump. Hope that helps ;)

bbe22

Also, to give you an idea of how much Petco knows about fish, their fish description for angelfish says they are native to southeast Asia. Angelfish are from South America. If I wanted to buy a Mercedes Benz, I wouldn't go to Wal-Mart, same thing with Petco. Petco, Superpetz, and Petsmart are for buying cat litter and dog treats, not reef inhabitants.

GrendelPrime

i agree but unfortunatly sooner or later these mega retailers are gonna be the only game in town. there used to be at least 5 petshops in my area now theres 2 petsmarts and a petco within 20 miles, out of those 5 petshops theres 1 left thats a chopshop so if i want something i have to drive at least 2 hrs to find a decent petshop

ty verry much =). im trying the barrier reef aquatics store near me when i get back from camp. they were recommended to me and it seems good. the zoas are a bit bugged by the hermits (who have eaten most of my snails except for the masses of perry winkles and turbo snails or are they sumthin else dont remember) also i was going to add a light to put on the back of the sump mirror (see thru mirror glass unless light hits it and it turns seethru) insted i removed the top of the second chamber and it lets light in

i found unexpected guests in the live rock that came with the mushrooms. they are: a seemingly harmless but verry large bristle worm. odd but rare tube worms who are loving the tank. a cream colored sponge who is rapidly taking over the tank which is weird cuz i thought sponges were tough to keep. something that looks like a clam cant tell tho. a half shelled snail. a thing that looks like a anemone but moves cant reely tell cuz it moved away fast when i shone light in its hiding hole. and a odd long see through worm and probably more critters.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sounds like you have life in there. This is a good thing. Why don't you post some pictures of your finds? People like to see pictures :)

tangerine3486

yes pics! I've always wanted to use this and it might not be a perfect fit it is close.

without_pics.gif

not worthless, but you get the idea

well i would love to post pics but the little buggers are hard to capture on camera and i also kinda forgot how to post pics. oops =(

FishNerd

Well it sounds like you are new to Reefs or aquariums in general. It is a hobby of patience and time, there is no live sand or live rock which will cycle your tank if anything was living still in the bag it went through a die off when it entered your system. You will need at least a month of cycle time before you can consider a fish and you will need to wait for your biological system to equalize with each new addtion to your tank. for the first month I would recommend a few hermit crabs and snails, feed a small amount daily to cycle the tank then with each CAREFULLY chosen addtion you must wait for the tank to catch up to the new Bio load. I wish you great sucess in the hobby but you must accept that it will take time.

the tank is cycled 100% just checked.....again. i had 2 clowns but i got it from petco and the second had 2!!! diseases it had marine velvet and ich!! the first one (speed) got infected with ich, then the second (kate) died. i cured speeds ich but... he also had the velvet which was hidden by the ich so.... he died. then i had 2 humbug damsels and they were tiny and in my 30 gallon and.... killed each other so ill try for fish when i comeback from camp. i know my tank is cycled for sure no doubt about it.

im tryin to frag my zoas have to be careful dont want palytoxin in my eyes. by the way i study poisons so win win also studying medicine and am trying to find a chemical to reverse the affects of the palytoxin cool huh? not so sure how to frag zoos tho do i cut it closest to the bottom of the stem as possible?