My 120 Gallon Project - First Timer !

Snid

I had been thinking about getting some Cardinals myself one day. I'm still on the fence. When I was visiting the zoo recently, they had several baby Cardinals that were hovering within the needles of a few large Longspined Sea Urchins. I laready have one of those Urchins, so it made me want the Cardinal just a little more. But it seems only the babies really stayed there, so the thrill wore off a little.

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
A little update . . .
The Cardinals seem to be a bit shy, but they have been with us for only 3 days. They like to hang around between the rockscape and the back glass. There is quite a bit of space back there. It's an area of "lower flow", out of the way from the 2 Vortech MP40's that are in front of the rocks. I think they are OK because when it's feeding time, they are everywhere ! I've been feeding 1/3 of a PE Mysis Cube, twice daily. The Cardinals eat about 90% of the food. The Hermits scurry to the left-overs.

The Turbo Snails have been doing an awesome job of removing algae (also GHA) from the back glass. They have that area almost completely clean. They have finally found the front glass. Maybe I'll be able to stop cleaning the front glass if they step-up their efforts in that area !

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
Update Time & Next Fish Question . . .
Everything seems to be fine. We're still going slowly, trying hard not to do something that upsets our little ecosystem.

Display Tank Inhabitants:
Two Bangaii Cardinals have been with us since July 27th. They have overcome most of their shyness and spend a significant part of the afternoon / evening in the front-left corner where they are in plain sight. They are big eaters and seem to know when it's feeding time. At night, they hang in and around a small cave in the back of the rockwork. During our brightest lighting period (late morning), they also head for the cave.

One Emerald Crab spends 95% of the time in/under rocks. We see him only once or twice per week, at night, under very dim lighting.

Three Peppermint Shrimp are quite entertaining. I had a little Aiptasia in a few locations. It was completely gone 10 days after adding the Pepp Shrimp. They hide during the day, but can be found pretty easily in the evening. They come out at feeding time 2-3 times per week (not interested in every feeding).

The Hermits and Snails have reached some sort of truce. I'm not losing any more snails and we have several snails that are pretty small (snack size!). The Turbo Snails love the front glass right after I clean it. Aren't they supposed to clean it ?

Quarantine Tank Inhabitants:
Two Occ Clowns (standard Orange & White) have been entertaining us for three weeks. Full of energy. There's a Vortech MP10 in the QT (20 Gal Long) and the Clowns enjoy swimming against the current. As long as they remain clean and happy for another week (total of 4 weeks), they will move to DT next Saturday.

Next Fish - What To Get ???
For our next fishing trip, we're considering the following (of course only ONE of these three possibilities):
(1) Royal Gramma - only 1

(2) Lyretail Anthias - add 3 females. One should become male over time

(3) Blue Reef Chromis - add 3 and hope for peace. Some say they'll battle until one remains. Others say 3 or 5 are fine.

Of course, the new addition(s) go directly to QT for at least 4 weeks.

Comments welcome !

---Frank

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Did you get your pair of clowns put into your DT from the QT? How are they doing?
Wondering if you decided which one & purchased your next fish addition? :fishy::fishy:
I love the color my Royal Gramma adds but I also love my 3 green chromis...they are very fun to watch.
YEP, it's time for an UPdate with a picture or two ;) :camera:

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
Update Time !

Hi Diana ! Yes, it's update time, with pictures . . .

Here's a FTS of my Display Tank. I try to leave things alone and keep my hands out as much as possible. In just a few short months (July to October) we've added a clean-up crew, four fish, three Peppermint Shrimp, a Tuxedo Urchin, and a few beginner corals.

Let's have a look --- Today's FTS:
DTFTS100514_zps1cfab54f.jpg

Our first fish addition was a pair of Bangaii Cardinals. They are doing fine. In the beginning, they were very shy -- almost never out in front of the rocks. Now, they're up front most of the day. During our brightest lighting period, they move back to a cave behind the rocks. They certainly prefer dimmer lighting. Earlier this week we thought we might be attempting to raise baby Bangaii. The male (larger of the pair) was not eating for 5 days. It appeared that his mouth area was 'puffy' - maybe carrying eggs ? But, on the 6th day, he was back to eating again and the 'puffy mouth' was gone. First time we observed that. Maybe he was carrying eggs and had them for lunch.

In this picture, the male is on the right:
2Cards1Clown100514_zpsc9196923.jpg

In this picture, the male is closer to the center of the frame:
2Cards100514_zpsab9b740c.jpg

Our second fish addition was a pair of Occ Clowns. These were the first fish to spend time in our Quarantine Tank, also known as the Penalty Box. After 3 weeks in QT, the Clowns joined the Cardinals in our DT. They are very curious and get very excited when anyone is near the tank. Although together most of the day, their sleeping habits are very different. One floats nose-down, tail-up near the overflow and the other hides in the rockwork. They do spend time looking at themselves:
2ClownsA100514_zps13e29c38.jpg

There are three Peppermint Shrimp assigned to 'Aiptasia Patrol'. They do an awesome job because there's no Aiptasia to be found. These guys have no fear ! They immediately investigate any new addition. When I put my hands in the tank, there are usually 1 or 2 Peppermint Shrimp picking at my arm within 10 seconds. I can shake them away, and they come right back. Here's one observing his world from the top of the rockwork:
PSHRIMPONROCK100514_zps3a82c411.jpg

And here's another Peppermint Shrimp bothering a Turbo Snail:
PshrimpwTurbo100514_zpsd20d120e.jpg

Here's our Tuxedo Urchin working near the waterline. Today, he's wearing some shell rubble and a small hermit crab. The hermit is not happy and seems to be planning his escape.
Urchin100514_zps7413f777.jpg

Speaking of Hermits . . . We seemed to have reached a truce between the Hermits and Snails where the Snail population had stabilized -- meaning that the Hermits had stopped killing the snails. About 10 days ago, all that changed when a group of Hermits took out a Turbo Snail - certainly the largest unauthorized meal they've ever had in our tank. I think the Turbo Snail fell from the rockwork and the Hermits attacked. We have two remaining Turbo Snails and they happily clean rocks and glass all day. This incident caused me to re-think having Hermits on the clean-up crew. So I plucked 7 of the Hermits out of the tank -- 3 remain in there. Of those 7, 4 are living in the sump and 3 are in the QT. We'll get back to our QT Hermits in a minute. . . .

As for 'next fish', I was looking for Chromis (Blue Reef or Blue Green) but could find only small ones (about 1.5 inches) at several LFS. I did find a nice selection of Lyretail Anthias though, so we added three of them. Here they are in our QT where they have been for 3 weeks:
QTFTS100514_zps74eaa812.jpg

Our QT is a 20L that I acquired at the Petco $1 / Gallon sale. We all know how that goes. $20 for a tank, then add many $Hundreds for everything else ! It's got an Apex Jr. an Ecotech MP-10, Tunze ATO, yada, yada, Ouch !!

You'll notice that there aren't any PVC Pipe Fittings in my QT. I started out with several of them. The Clowns (first QT inhabitants) loved them and spent significant time in them. However, the Anthias hated them, would not enter them, and even pushed them around. At that point, I had a little rock in the QT and the Anthias pushed each other around jockeying for space in the limited rock caves. I removed the PVC, added more rock, and the Anthias have been peaceful for 3 weeks. At night, they are completely hidden in and under the rocks. One more week, and they can move to DT.

Here's an interesting behavior -- To me (certainly no expert) it looks like the Anthias think that one of the Hermits is a Cleaner Shrimp. The Anthias will position themselves near the Hermit, then flutter in front of him:
CleanerHermit100514_zpsbe0567f7.jpg

The Hermits will do anything for a meal. Here's one of them hanging upside-down from an MP10, looking for a microscopic meal. This guy climbs the silicone (where the glass meets in the corner), then stretches over to the MP10. Every now and then he loses his grip and drops to the bare bottom below.
HermitonPump100514_zpsb34be0d9.jpg

Beginner Corals, aka Stuff You'd Have To Try Really Hard To Kill:
ZoaCorner100514_zpsaeb8e129.jpg

So, for someone who is very new to all of this (less than 4 months ago, my tank didn't even have water in it), I'm having an enjoyable time. There's much to be learned.

What's next for me ? I'd like a few Chromis and maybe a Cleaner Shrimp. Many months down the road, I'd like to acquire an Anemone or two.

Thanks for following along in my adventure. If you have any questions, please ask ! I'll be as helpful as I can within the limits of my very limited knowledge.

And special thanks to those who have answered my questions here at Reef Sanctuary. Without your guidance, there's no way I could have come so far in such a short time.

---Frank

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
Quick Update

Time flies . . . it's been more than a month since my last update.

For my (very slight) experience level, I think things are going very well. Over the past week, I've noticed some brown stuff on the sand in the front corners of my tank. Probably diatoms ? But we went through this much earlier. I cleaned the sand yesterday and also slightly repositioned my Vortech pumps to improve circulation. We'll see what happens.

Equipment wise, I decided to add Ecotech Batteries to power my two MP40s and two Radions. With one battery dedicated to each device, I should be covered for at least a day without utility power. It took a little effort, but I think I've integrated them nicely within the tank stand. Take a look --- the batteries are tucked away on the left and right sides, towards the front of the stand:
IMG_2803_zpse566a4f5.jpg

I've slowed down on fish acquisitions, getting much more picky as to what I acquire and where I find them after my disappointing experience with the Blue Reef Chromis last month.

In the QT for 7 days, I have one Flame Angel and one Diamond Watchman Goby. Since both fish came from the same tank at the LFS, and had already been together (at LFS) for a week, I decided to keep them together for QT purposes. Both seem fine so far, but it's only been 7 days. They are active and eating. I provided a bowl of sand for the Goby, but he has shown no interest in it. If he continues to ignore the sand bowl for a few more days, I'll remove it from the QT so there's more swimming space.

Flame Angel:
IMG_2810_zps7c947607.jpg

Diamond Watchman Goby:
IMG_2817_zps1ea0d793.jpg

Thanks for following !
---Frank

may2024

Wow really nice setup I like the wire raceways really gives a neat look to every thing. I wish I had thought of mounting to a back plate like youdid in your basement sump area very nice.

My phone.

Joeys Tank

Looking nice, Frank. Especially love how you put time and thought into what your system looks like behind cabinet doors.

newo11

Agree. There is always something really nice about a well organized system that looks very clean "behind closed doors". I wish I could achieve it!

sirrealism

Very nice set up. So clean!! Please come to FL and wire my new tank. As DaveK mentioned I am one of those with the Rats nest under my tanks. i am going to do a better job on my new one.

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
Thanks for the compliments may2024, Joeys Tank, and Newo11 -- much appreciated !

Sirrealism, I'd be more than happy to help with design / planning and provide source info for the parts that I use to hide the mess. Once it gets colder here in NJ, I could be persuaded to head to Florida to work on fun project . . . .

sirrealism

Thanks One fish. I might take you up on the sources. Though i have to put my sump under my tank. Its FL No basements!! I will say that is one thing I miss about living up north is having a basement. Then again with as much of a hoarder that I am you prob wouldnt be able to walk through it

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
Update Time !
It's hard to believe that 6 weeks have flown by. It's the Holiday time of year -- so much to do . . .

I have not made any equipment changes in the past 6 weeks. Just trying to maintain a stable environment with a regular maintenance schedule. That's working very well. I have not had any problems in my DT.

Here's an FTS as of Sunday 12/21:
FTS12212014_zpse7b63ec1.jpg

As you can see (top center) I've ventured a bit past the "Zoanthid stage" and acquired a Goniopora. I've heard that they don't have a very long lifetime in captivity. Mine opened up the day after it was acclimated and has been doing fine for the past 4 weeks. Here's a closer view:
Goniopora12212014_zpsbd9455f4.jpg

My Clowns seem to have been doing the mating dance. They don't have an anemone yet -- I'm thinking it's a little too early in my tank's life (only 6 months) to try one. I'm a firm believer that nothing good happens fast in our hobby. So, I thought the Clowns would be happier with a place to call their own. I borrowed DianaKay's idea (thank you !) and added a small clay pot for them. Both clowns spend most of their day in and around the clay pot. However, they sleep in a different area. We'll see what happens . . .
Clown12212014_zps6f1a1d3d.jpg

Three Anthias are very active during the day. At night, they have a few places in the rockwork where they are well-hidden from view.
Anthia12212014_zps179f9f11.jpg

My most recent fish addition, a Diamond Watchman Goby, is quite entertaining. He moves sand almost constantly, but in a good way. The sand stays at the bottom of the tank and does not get distributed over the rocks or low-lying Zoanthids. The Goby built a den that he uses after lights-out. He works hard to keep the sand clean.
Goby12212014_zps2905045b.jpg

My most recent Invert addition, a Fire Shrimp, is a bit shy. He comes out at feeding time, but spends most of the day within the rockwork. No picture of him available right now.

In my QT world, I have had two recent setbacks. Both were Flame Angels. Both were with us for approx. 10 days. I've emptied and cleaned my QT. The cycle has been started. In 4-6 weeks, we'll try our next acquisition.

We're considering adding a Bubble Coral. Any suggestions / comments would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Happy 2015 !
---Frank

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
Banggai Cardinal Babies !

Doing my usual weekly cleaning tasks, and I spot something that looks like a fly . . . It's a tiny Banggai Cardinal ! There are two of them hanging around under one of my Zoa rocks. Here's a low quality video . . .

[video]http://vid1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/ffabiano/3F85F08E-F3A3-4DC5-A5DD-510F99D71ED3_zpsldylbsl3.mp4[/video]

You can see one of them dart out from under the Zoa a few times in the video. I'd estimate the Cardinal's size as fitting within a 5/16 inch square. Hopefully, they get a little larger and I can get better pictures.

Oxylebius

The file is corrupt. Can't get it to play. Can you check it out?
Really would like to see the babies!

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
Oxy, try it again. It's working for me when I use Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. The video quality is really poor. These little guys are tiny . . . I'm trying to get better video.