moving xenia - advice needed

russbooger

Hello everyone

My xenia colony has gone from one head to 6 heads in less than two months, and now I want to get rid of some. At the moment its clinging to my live rock, am I ok to just gently tease the bases off and remove them?

Thanks all

Russ

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You can try teasing them off, but I'm not sure it will work. You can also cut stalks off with a razor or sharp knife or sharp scissors. If you want to remount pieces use rubberbands to attach to a piece of rubble. Any flesh left on the rock will typically regrow. Any pieces you lose may land somewhere & grow a new colony so try to avoid pieces, or get the pieces out with a net. I used to just flush my cuttings. The stuff has a uniquely obnoxious odor so either wear a disposable glove or wash your hands a dozen times LOL!

dmyers557

It will regrow if any flesh is left. I even scraped hard with a toothbrush after making my cuts and it still grew back. Good luck

websurfer

Good luck with that .. I just moved my rock away and up to the top.. I have had it for about 4 months it came as 2 heads and now i cant even count how many it has but it looks great ...

tnwillia

I've about won my battle with it after 6 months. I still have a few spots but getting it out slowly but surely. I peel it off the rock a stalk at a time once they get big enough to grab without tearing. Where I can, I flip the rock over to get what's left into darkness and they die. I'd say have fun but it's not. Good luck!

russbooger

thanks everyone, just got £4 a piece from the LFS. A lot of the stalks had migrated up the tank and were on my sargassum macroalgae, so they were easy to pull off and I tied them onto small rocks. With my credit note got a nice little torch coral. Bonus!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If you need something else easy to frag try a Kenya Tree. I added a 1 inch frag to my little 6G tank less than a year ago and it's really grown, multi-branched and several inches high now, and has dropped about a dozen "branch babies" that have attached to the rock and substrate - easy to pull out & trade if I want to. I keep thinking about putting a piece in my RSM but am afraid it will end up everywhere.

Comboverguy

I just bought some Kenya trees on Ebay. Did my best to acclimate them but this morning they are all bent over and dead looking. The guy had a heat pack in they styro box, but they were still pretty cold when they got here. I really like the looks of them but I think I'll wait until this summer when it's not so cold to order some more. It sounds like they're pretty hardy once they get a start. At least my caulerpa is having babies.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Comboverguy don't give up yet. They are VERY hardy (too hardy in some cases). Many softies will pout for days after any type of big change so just sit back and watch for them to perk up.