Mildew and casualties :(

rebekwl

Well we got back from our 1 week trip to VA today. We were sad to leave, but SO ready to come home at the same time. A friend of ours came by to check on the tank on Saturday, and it had overflowed. The suction cup holding the floatswitch came detatched from the wall, and un-needed water poured into our tank. We had him turn off the return, and everything in the sump and kept our fingers crossed that everything would be ok. Everything seems to be a ok, except for the horrible mildew smell, blah! We turned the lights on for a bit, and fed. Everyone is accounted for except my Scopas Tang. He was my favorite, but I'm sure he's gone because he's always out, especially to eat. The lights were on for at least an hour, and he didn't come out for dinner :( I can't wait to get another, but we are going to remove all the fish from our tank first and hospitilize them (we had an Ich outbreak a few weeks ago) before we add any newbies. The salinity is also all the way down to 1.022, so I will start topping off with SW tomorrow to get it back up to 1.026 where it belongs. I was really hoping for a mishap free week, but I guess that's the way things go. We're going to get everything set up just right within the next couple of months, so things can go a lot smoother (hopefully) next time we go out of town.

Oh, I almost forgot, how on earth do I get this horrible mildew smell OUT OF MY HOUSE??? I'm going to buy a couple of bottles of Febreez tomorrow, but if anyone knows any better tricks please let me know. :D

Melanie

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I glued my float switch to a small mag float and attached it that way. Makes it easy to move if necessary as well.

For mildew smell, clean the area thoroughly with vinegar. I put a cup in the laundry if it sits too long and smells off.

lcstorc

I wouldn't use the Febreeze near the tank. It could get in the water and do bad things.
I would get some Damp Rid and put it in the stand. It pulls the water out and once things are dry you can wash them with vinegar to get the smell out and dry again.
A hairdryer is another option to get things dry quickly but I would still use the Damp Rid to remove any traces of moisture.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:cry1:Sorry Rebekah!

I can't believe Lorraine doesn't have any tips. She's water logged her family room on numerous occasions!:lol:

tbittner

Wet vac... (carpet shampoo scruber)

Worked for me when I inadvertantly dumped 50 gallons on the floor in the my finished basement. :doh: :bugout:

JT101

Try Stanley Steemer. They use actual steam, which kills the microbes and fungus that causes mildew.

If that doesn't work I would (and I know you are not going to like this) rip out the old carpet, thoroughly wash the floor with a bleach solution, let it air dry for several days and install new carpet. Mildew can be very unhealthy to breathe, especially for children and for people with asthma.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Do you have a De-humidifier? If so fire it up in the room and it will help draw residual moisture out of the area. Just note it will increase evaporation but that's because it's doing it's "Thing". The smell may linger but it will subside. Dont use Fabreeze. Anything in the air will be prone to be in the water.

Sorry for your loss but I hope you had a GREAT trip otherwise.

:)

rebekwl

Thanks for all the great tips and concerns :) I think I will rent a carpet cleaner tomorrow and mix vinegar in with the soapy water, then try some Damp Rid or a dehumidifier to hopefully get all the moisture out. I'm really hoping to get that nasty stuff out of here soon, I don't want the baby to get sick :(

I was worried the whole time too Lorraine!! Especially after we had to instruct our friend to unplug this and that and hope all was well. Oh Scott, Lorraine has had many floods, but I think she's carpet free, aren't you?? I'll deffinitely go that route in our next place, but for now we are renting and unfortunately changing/tearing out carpet isn't an option.

Thanks everyone!!

bluespotjawfish

I can't believe Lorraine doesn't have any tips. She's water logged her family room on numerous occasions!

I OWN a carpet cleaner for a reason (dogs, rabbits, and fish are the top three)! And, I have been known to put a bit of bleach in the water too. There, that is my tip. :smirk: There is a disclaimer with it though! It only takes a little bit (a few teaspoons per gallon)! I also use lots of fans to get it to dry fast.

Oh Scott, Lorraine has had many floods, but I think she's carpet free, aren't you??

I still have carpet. But in my dreams I have place for the flood to drain that isn't all over the floor!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you know someone with a Rainbow Vac go borrow it. Will pick up the moisture and freshen/polish the air at the same time. Can't be beat.

kathywithbirds

Sorry for your mishap Rebekah. Things always seem to go wrong when you're away.

And now I have that stupid *Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner* tune in my head.

PEMfish

The carpet at two of my houses was trashed with water. Once when the basement door leaked, concrete was also damaged! And the AC on my 29 blew a gasket and the carpet turned black - the whole 6 square feet under the stand! And I know too, from experience - don't rent that vac, don't buy that cleaner, don't bother as its all a waste of money. Your carpet is probably good as gone. The smell will NEVER go - the stains will in 3-6 years but theres no silver bullet. Sorry to tell you this, but hey, at least the stand has a good chance of being damage free.

Jake

There are services that will come 24/7 with large fans to dry carpet areas. I am not a fan of mold, especially if since you have children. I would bite the bullet, pull the carpet and pad, clean the base floor with bleach, and then add new carpet and pad. If you have insurance it is probably covered.

Good luck, it is a shame it broke while you were away.

PEMfish

Yeah. Don't put new carpet down right away to make sure the floor boards don't grow mold.