Mikes Red Sea Max 130

Msigler

Hi all. Just found this forum this morning. First post.
I got the tank for Christmas from my fiancé. She thought plug and play was going to be cheaper than starting from scratch. Well here we are a zillion dollars later and I think I'm just half way there. :smirk: :smirk:
I have added a lifereef sump/fuge, jbj auto top off, tunze skimmer and 2' Cebu sun 175w MH (10k) with four 24w T5's.
I currently have 45 pounds of Fiji LR from the Docs but plan to add more. I suck at aquascaping so I'm just going to make a big wall. I was thinking about getting something for phosphates. Any suggestions?
I have some acro and would like the rest of the corals I purchase to be sps. That's all I can think of right now. Here are some iPhone pics. Sorry.

99cea766.jpg

1b9059e8.jpg

7f776abe.jpg

614d1096.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Mike & fiancé,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Beautiful tank !

If you can add location: to your User Profile can help in making a recommendation on products (like help with phosphates), lots RSM owners from around the world here in the club & some products we have here in the states might not be available in another country, but we usually know an equivalent :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club! Nice setup you have and the tank looks great! I run a hang on Phosban reactor on my sump for phosphates, but it doesn't look like you have the space for one in the cabinet.

Msigler

Thanks for the replies fellas. ReefMack, you're right. I don't have any space for anything in the stand. Do you think phosban in a bag, in the sump would help? I just recently started getting diatoms and I'm guessing phosphates. Need to get on the testing. But can't turn off this xbox long enough to do it. Call of duty and xbox live ruins lives...:guns:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'm not sure how well phosban would work in a bag in the sump. It does best with flow going through it, but it might be better than nothing at all. Most of the GFOs will harden into a clump without a gentle tumbling action, as in a reactor. But if it's the only option you may as well try it. I've been using Phoslock GFO now - it's a much cleaner product that rinses cleaner and quicker, and doesn't disintegrate into mud like other GFOs.

tnwillia

Great Tank! You have the sump so I'm guessing your back chambers are empty except for the pumps, you can put your Phosban bag in one of the back chambers of the DT. I use a Zip-Ty and hang it from the top, you just want it in the flow. Looks like Jeffs Model D Sump/Fuge, thats the first one I've seen pictured up and running. Have fun!

Msigler

Thanks for the replies. Yep that's Jeffs sump. He does great work. Any of you guys familiar with this?
Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor Reviews)
I was afraid to even look at phos reactors because I thought it would be expensive but this looks affordable. My want list is: vortech wave maker, more LR and a bunch of sps and I should be done. For now...

Msigler

Moving my tank this week. AHHH! I just recently read a thread where the guy used new sand and water after he moved. This sounds good to me. Get rid of that old sand full of fish poop. I have never moved a tank before. Using the new sand and water will be fine? No cycle? I like the idea of being able to clean the tank a bit and getting a better aquascape going. Other then that this is going to suck.

tnwillia

Not using them right now but have used up to 2 of the 150 reactors in line driven by a Maxi-jet 400 pump. Only thing I suggest is by a good supply of the black sponges for the top & bottom as the get really nasty if your media breaks down to powder and clogges them up. They worked great for me!

Never moved a tank But I'd think the new sand would cause a cycle.

Good luck!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'm not sure I'd agree on the new sand causing a cycle. I would have thought reusing the old sand might cause a cycle, just due to stirring up all of the old detritis, etc. Unless you rinse it well in SW. You can also release hydrogen sulfide if the old sand bed is deep - not good. I myself would go with new sand. You might see a cycle either way. Just my opinions. :)

Msigler

Got the tank moved and thank the lord that is over. I added a bunch of grey hair to my head. Everything looks good today but my fish were not happy at all. I thought my wrasse was a goner but he looks good today. So far all life seems great. I like my new aquascape and the new sand. Nothing like that clean sand. The move also gave me the chance to clean the tank and all the equipment. I was shocked at all the junk and funk in the old sand. It was gross. I am going to feed a little less from now on.

bf615867.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats on the successful move - know how good that feels ! and I can relate to the gunk... I stirred up a ton, ran the white/blue filter & rinsed every hour for 8 hours, plus blew off the rock with the turkey baster.

Rockscape & tank looking great !