Michelle’s 110 Upgrade!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Michelle how will you control the "Gravity Feed" of the ATO?

I don't know that I would change my whole world because of "Allen's set-up" (even though it's very flattering for you to say such kind words). It works VERY well in my situation but it may or may NOT work for yours. Granted if your set-up is similar then is SHOULD (disclaimer added here) work for you similar to how it's working for me.

It's going to be a SWEET system :)

squidy

Actually Al, I haven’t finished reading your endless 90g chronicle yet. I guess I was thinking I could either do a drip system for the top off or go with float switch. This something I need to spend more time researching.

BobBursek

Marine Depot sells a adjustable clamp for going on 1/4od tubing that has a calibrated shaft for adjusting drip rates, but as the container level drops so does the head preasure so the drip rate will slow down, so you have to keep adjusting the clamp. PITB, that is why I went with a pump and timer set up to add Kalk.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Allen. Oh btw, that AquaController Jr. is the shiz nit!!! I am SO putting one of those on my x-mas list.

LOL! Yes it IS! In all honesty I'd suggest one of the "larger" units now that I've had one a while. I want the advanced features and the "Connectivity" of the larger ones. Regardless any of the AC units are SWEET!!

squidy

Bob, thats my concern with the drip system. Just not as self-sufficient. I will most likely go with a float switch. Im also leaning towards building both the fuge and the ATO from acrylic myself. I want to utilize as much space as possible.

squidy

Ok, my light just arrived. Totally disappointed though. It was advertised as a 2x175w mh with 2x96w pc. Turns out it is 2x150mh! Heres a question for you guys. If I change the ballast to a 175w, can I run 175w bulbs?

Attachments

• DSCN1760 (500 x 375).jpg
    DSCN1760 (500 x 375).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 68

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm sure if you changed the ballast (maybe end caps too depending on what the difference is) you could but honestly I don't think there's enough difference between 150 - 175 to warrant the efforts and expense.

Have you contacted them to let them know of the difference?

squidy

Yea I sent an email. I even double checked the ad. The guy claims to have been in sw for over 10 yrs. If thats true, he wouldnt mess up a detail like that. I know its not a huge deal, but it still bugs me.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's a BIG deal to you and THAT'S what matters. Small deals only happen to OTHER people. Any deal is a BIG deal when it's your deal.

Hopefully they'll make it good one way or another.... look at it like this... you'll save some ENERGY due to this mix-up :)

BobBursek

I would return it, and go to a more reputable source for what you want. IMHO. If you are putting out the cash, get what you want, not what they want to send you.

BobBursek

I would return it, and go to a more reputable source for what you want. IMHO. If you are putting out the cash, get what you want, not what they want to send you.

squidy

I started wondering if I could replace the 96w pc's with 130w pc's. So I called Dr. Foster Smith and they said it shouldnt be a problem as long as the fixture can fit a 44" bulb. I measured and there is plenty of room for the bulb. This seems too easy. Has anyone changed out their 96w pc's for a higher wattage bulbs? Oh, and the guy I bought the light from is going to give me a partial refund.

sneaks03

Well atleast the guy is meeting you in the middle plus you have a good light. not sure about placing the 130w in the 96w fixture. From what I know about electricity drawing more wattage could be bad for the fixture and your home. Remember Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor? More power could have bad results, but i could be wrong as well. Maybe someone who knows a little more about those fixtures and electricity could shed some light on it...no pun intended.

squidy

I am going to try to find a customer service number for Coralife tomorrow and run the idea by them. Ill keep you guys posted.