Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

New Screen Material

Well after months of figuring out what are the best attributes are for a scrubber screen, and also after getting reports from hundreds of people as to what screen material worked best for them, I think I've come up with a material that is perfect for the job. I'm offering this screen for free to anyone who wants to try it (just pay shipping). Here are some pics, and some advantages, to this material:

ScreenFlex.jpg

ScreenThickness.jpg

ScreenFinger.jpg

ScreenRigid.jpg

ScreenCloseup.jpg

It's Clear Plastic: This allows light from one side of the screen to shine through to the other side. For a (new) two-sided screen, this means both sides of the screen get light from both bulbs; for one-sided screens, it means the dark side will still get some light from the bulb on the other side.

It's Thick: 1/4 inch (6mm). This allows much more room for algae to grip to, so washings/cleanings will not strip all the algae (no matter how hard you scrub). For total algae removal, you can just use a hair brush to push all the algae completely out. If you already have a pipe that is cut for canvas (usually a 1/8" or 3mm slot), you'll need to widen it to 5/16" (8mm).

It Flows Through: Since the screen is not solid, it allows algae from both sides to attach to each other in the middle, thus giving the algae even greater holding-power during cleanings and high flow.

It's Semi-Rigid: This gives a small screen enough strength to hold up a pipe by itself, and gives large screens the ability to prevent waviness, and from flopping out of position.

It's Bendable: You can put a large screen in a small sink for cleaning; it also is possible to bend the screen into a circular-screen configuration (i.e., inside a bucket.)

It Holds Roughness (after you rough it up). Attack it with 30 grit sandpaper, wire brushes, power sanders, etc, and the roughness will stay. Give yourself about one hour to rough up both sides.

It's Sturdy: It resists hard cleanings, even if you use fingernails, credit cards, or razors.

It's Reef Safe: Is made of standard hard-plastic material.

It can be used as-is for vertical screens, or it can be glued to a solid plastic sheet for horizontal screens (the sheet keeps water from flowing through the screen.)

So if anyone wants to try it, the screens I'm starting out with are a little smaller than a square foot; they are about 11.5" X 11.5" (29cm X 29cm). If you need two of these sheets to fit your scrubber, let me know. I'll keep the packing and shipping cost the same for everyone, $10 USD, including international. Paypal is easiest, but whatever works. PM me.

I would like to give this a try but i have to wait til friday to get you the payment so save a screen for me please!

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

I'm going to be posting new example designs soon, so if you have not already posted your pics, do so now and I'll include it for others to see.

So my tank's been up for about 2 months and after discovering this thread and the whole ATS scene, I figured it looked simple enough to give it a try. So I took the plunge on my 55-gallon.

I built a fairly crude version in my sump/wet dry (I took out the bioballs, nitrate factory, right?) with a screen about 9 inches wide by 10 or so inches tall, depending on the water level in the sump. The screen is the plastic craft stuff from Walmart scuffed up with sandpaper and a Dremel. I'm lighting it with 2 23w CFLs, one 2700k and one 6500k. (I've seen both red and blue light recommended here so I mixed 'em.) It's been up and running for 2 weeks today.

The screen started getting a brownish greasy film on it within about 3 days. The film got darker and a little fuller over the next 10 days or so, but it never really actually filled in the gaps in the screen or got any real mass. But I've read so much on here about the importance of cleaning the screen often regardless of how much is on there, so I went ahead yesterday and scraped off what was there.

Also, my nitrates have pretty much bottlenecked at about 20, and they weren't much higher than that to begin with. I did a 20% water change a couple nights ago and no significant decrease.

I've got a clump of chaeto in the sump and another in the DT with some caulerpa up there as well. The caulerpa is growing like crazy, but the chaeto isn't doing much. I do have quite a bit of cyano in the DT as well, but I think most of it is because of bad flow in those areas. Also, my coralline isn't spreading too well.

I have a canister filter as well, could that be adding to the nitrate problem?

Shouldn't I have more than just that film at this point? I don't think light or flow is the problem. I'm feeding it with a 1-and-a-quarter inch HOB overflow.

Maybe I should just be more patient?

My numbers are:
pH - 8.6 (A little high as I've been dripping Kalk and I'm trying to get the amount right.)
Ammonia - 0
Nitirites - 0
Nitrates - 20 ppm
dKH - 12
Calcium - 450-500 ppm (See pH)

I can post some pics of my scrubber if you like. It's nothing brilliant, though.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Yes post the pics.

Your macros are slowing the scrubber from getting started quickly. For best results from here forward, do this:

Remove all macros.
Remove cannister, and any other mechanical filter.
Stop waterchanges.
Get another 2700K bulb.
Continue cleaning every 7 days, lightly. Or for best results (but more work),
clean one side every 5 days.

Your Nitrate will be zero in about four week, and your coralline will start growing again at about that time.

Yes post the pics.

Your macros are slowing the scrubber from getting started quickly. For best results from here forward, do this:

Remove all macros.
Remove cannister, and any other mechanical filter.
Stop waterchanges.
Get another 2700K bulb.
Continue cleaning every 7 days, lightly. Or for best results (but more work),
clean one side every 5 days.

Your Nitrate will be zero in about four week, and your coralline will start growing again at about that time.

So, completely remove macro from the DT and the sump? I can do that.
The canister will definitely go immediately. But I also have a dual-pad power filter with carbon and a HOB canister with carbon as well but it has no pad or sponge of any kind. I don't know if I have the plums to take all these off at once. Maybe I should leave some carbon in, plus it helps with water flow.

And should I take the sponge prefilter out of my overflow box as well? Do we want detritus and such making its way to the scrubber?

As for coralline, like I said, it hasn't been exploding even though I'm dripping Kalk and I have the Ca where it needs to be. I'm guessing it's the nitrates. But I do have bright green algae growing on some of my live rock and it won't come off with a toothbrush. Could that be green coralline?

Here's a couple pics...

DSCF0007b.jpg

DSCF0013b.jpg

Last edited:

pieaceofthereef

Well i took the plunge this is how it came out for me.

CIMG3392.jpg

CIMG3391.jpg

CIMG3390.jpg

CIMG3389.jpg

CIMG3385.jpg

before

CIMG3387.jpg

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Tusc: Yes remove all the macro, is their purpose was to remove nutrients. If you want to grow large pods, use rock rubble instead. You can leave the carbon in if you want, it does not compete with the scrubber, just don't have any sponges or pads or floss anywhere. You want all the detritus (food) to circulate back to the coral so it can be eaten. Most will make it through the scrubber, but if it sticks there it will be removed during your 7 day cleaning.

The phosphate is what's stopping your coralline. You might have green coralline on the rocks, but when the phosphate comes down, it will start growing purple and pink instead.

Your build looks good, flow-wise, but you need to get the light right on top of the scrubber, pointed down at it. Your brown coverage will be turning green soon.

Piece: I see you used flourescent light covers for your screen. You need to rough them up with a power grinder, both sides, especially the smooth side. Make it so rough you can't see any shapes through it (should feel prickly). Maybe use a circular wire brush for the front side. Or just power-grider the bumbs down.

Lighting looks good; if you can light the other side, that would be great.

pieaceofthereef

I removed my macro and other filters and sponges should i turn off my skimmer and uv steralizer?

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

UV yes. Skimmer, wait until your scrubber is filling up with algae.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Time for 66 new examples of scrubber designs:

MudShark on the MASA site:

UserMudsharkOnMA-3.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMA-4.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMA-5.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMA-2.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-10.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-22.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-23.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-24.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-12.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-13.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-13x.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-14.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-14x.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-19x.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-20x.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-21.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-16.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-11.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-15.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMASA-25.jpg

UserMudsharkOnMA-18.jpg

Captevo on the Algae Scrubber site, with a nano setup:

UserCaptevoOnAS-1.jpg

UserCaptevoOnAS-2.jpg

UserCaptevoOnAS-3.jpg

UserCaptevoOnAS-4.jpg

UserCaptevoOnAS-6.jpg

Jarhead80 on the UR site, with a nano setup:

UserJarhead80onUR-1.jpg

UserJarhead80onUR-2.jpg

UserJarhead80onUR-3.jpg

Chris003 on the 3R site:

UserChris003on3R-1.jpg

AcuarioOceanic on the AR site:

UserAcuarioOceanicOnAR-1.jpg

AdolfoRuiz on the AR site:

UserAdolfoRuizOnAR-1.jpg

Calunga on the AR site:

UserCalungaOnAR-1.jpg

CesarRosh on the AR site:

UserCesarRoshOnAR-1.jpg

UserCesarRoshOnAR-2.jpg

Emperador on the AR site:

UserEmperadorOnAR-7.jpg

JJavier1976 on the AR site:

UserJJAVIER1976onAR-1.jpg

UserJJAVIER1976onAR-2.jpg

Labperck on the AR site:

UserLabperckOnAR-1.jpg

UserLabperckOnAR-2.jpg

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Mario_Mendoza on the AR site:

UserMario_mendozaOnAR-1.jpg

Saulhs on the AR site:

UserSaulhsOnAR-1.jpg

UserSaulhsOnAR-2.jpg

UserSaulhsOnAR-3.jpg

UserSaulhsOnAR-4.jpg

Renman303 on the ARC site:

UserRenman303onARC-1.jpg

UserRenman303onARC-2.jpg

Aaarr on the Algae Scrubber site:

UserAaarrOnAS-1.jpg

UserAaarrOnAS-2.jpg

UserAaarrOnAS-3.jpg

Gasha on the Algae Scrubber site, with a top-of-tank setup:

UserGashaOnAS-1.jpg

Hobogato on the Algae Scrubber site:

UserHobogatoOnAS-1.jpg

JDlon on the Algae Scrubber site:

UserJDLonAS-1.jpg

UserJDLonAS-2.jpg

Kbaker on the Algae Scrubber site, with a solar powered turtle tank:

UserKbakerOnAS-1.jpg

UserKbakerOnAS-2.jpg

UserKbakerOnAS-3.jpg

UserKbakerOnAS-4.jpg

UserKbakerOnAS-5.jpg

UserKbakerOnAS-6.jpg

UserKbakerOnAS-7.jpg

Ktsdad on the Algae Scrubber site, with a bio-ball container design:

UserKtsdadOnAS-1.jpg

UserKtsdadOnAS-2.jpg

Mystic.Bertie on the Algae Scrubber site:

UserMystic.bertieOnAS-1.jpg

UserMystic.bertieOnAS-2.jpg

Natapa on the Algae Scrubber site, with an outdoor SW aquaculture pond:

UserNatapaOnAS-1.jpg

OceanRock on the Algae Scrubber site:

UserOceanRockOnAS-1.jpg

UserOceanRockOnAS-2.jpg

UserOceanRockOnAS-3.jpg

UserOceanRockOnAS-4.jpg

UserOceanRockOnAS-5.jpg

UserOceanRockOnAS-6.jpg

UserOceanRockOnAS-7.jpg

UserOceanRockOnAS-8.jpg

UserOceanRockOnAS-9.jpg

RumpyPumpy on the Algae Scrubber site:

UserRumpyPumpyOnAS-1.jpg

Worley on the Algae Scrubber site:

UserWorleyOnAS-5.jpg

UserWorleyOnAS-6.jpg

UserWorleyOnAS-7.jpg

MT1071 on the FF site:

UserMT1071onFF-1.jpg

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

UserMT1071onFF-2.jpg

UserMT1071onFF-3.jpg

UserMT1071onFF-4.jpg

UserMT1071onFF-5.jpg

UserMT1071onFF-6.jpg

Slick_Fish on the FF site:

UserSlick_FishOnFF-1.jpg

UserSlick_FishOnFF-2.jpg

Darb on the FL site:

UserDarbOnFL-1.jpg

UserDarbOnFL-2.jpg

UserDarbOnFL-3.jpg

Jrunyon210 on the FL site:

UserJrunyon21OnFL-1.jpg

UserJrunyon21OnFL-2.jpg

Imdaring on the LR site:

UserImdaringOnLR-1.jpg

UserImdaringOnLR-2.jpg

UserImdaringOnLR-3.jpg

UserImdaringOnLR-4.jpg

UserImdaringOnLR-5.jpg

Amalick on the MASA site:

UserAmalickOnMASA-4.jpg

Halogen on the MB site:

UserHalogenOnMB-1.jpg

Huhhhhh on the MB site did a fantastic build. This type of scrubber is the most powerful you can fit in a small space, because all of the light is strong and near to the screen:

UserHuhhhhhOnMB-01.jpg

UserHuhhhhhOnMB-02.jpg

UserHuhhhhhOnMB-03.jpg

UserHuhhhhhOnMB-04.jpg

UserHuhhhhhOnMB-05.jpg

UserHuhhhhhOnMB-06.jpg

UserHuhhhhhOnMB-07.jpg

UserHuhhhhhOnMB-08.jpg

UserHuhhhhhOnMB-09.jpg

UserHuhhhhhOnMB-10.jpg

UserHuhhhhhOnMB-11.jpg

Here are the water resistant end caps for the bulbs:
Store Lighting Supplies End Caps | Sockets | Mounts | Clips
UserHuhhhhhOnMB-endcaps.jpg

Here is the ballast (powers up to 6 bulbs):
Workhorse 8 - Fluorescent In-Fixture Electronic Instant Start Ballast - 120 Volt - Long Case - Fulham WH8-120-L Light Bulb
UserHuhhhhhOnMB-ballast.jpg

Here is the wiring diragram:
www.fulham.com/images/WDgifs/wire29.gif
UserHuhhhhhOnMB-diagram.jpg

Chelsey on the RC site:

UserChelseyOnRC-MD-1.jpg

UserChelseyOnRC-MD-2.jpg

Tige21 on the MD site:

UserTige21vOnMD-1.jpg

UserTige21vOnMD-2.jpg

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

SimonSKL on the MD site also did a nice build that lets you remove the screen while the water is still flowing:

UserSimonSKLonMD-4.01.jpg

UserSimonSKLonMD-4.1.jpg

UserSimonSKLonMD-4.2.jpg

UserSimonSKLonMD-4.3.jpg

UserSimonSKLonMD-5.jpg

UserSimonSKLonMD-6.jpg

UserSimonSKLonMD-7.jpg

And here is a video of the screen removal:
YouTube - Scrubber design from SimonSKL on Marine Depot

MyFishEatYourFish on the MFK site:

UserMyFishEatYourFishOnMFK-1.jpg

UserMyFishEatYourFishOnMFK-2.jpg

UserMyFishEatYourFishOnMFK-3.jpg

UserMyFishEatYourFishOnMFK-4.jpg

UserMyFishEatYourFishOnMFK-5.jpg

UserMyFishEatYourFishOnMFK-6.jpg

UserMyFishEatYourFishOnMFK-7.jpg

CardBoardBoxProcessor on the MFT site:

UserCardBoardBoxProcessorOnMFT-1.jpg

UserCardBoardBoxProcessorOnMFT-2.jpg

UserCardBoardBoxProcessorOnMFT-3.jpg

UserCardBoardBoxProcessorOnMFT-4.jpg

Mudcrab on the MFT site, with a great design that slides in and out:

UserMudcrabOnMFT-1.jpg

UserMudcrabOnMFT-2.jpg

UserMudcrabOnMFT-3.jpg

UserMudcrabOnMFT-4.jpg

UserMudcrabOnMFT-5.jpg

UserMudcrabOnMFT-6.jpg

UserMudcrabOnMFT-7.jpg

Craig on the NZ site:

UserCraigOnNZ-1.jpg

UserCraigOnNZ-2.jpg

UserCraigOnNZ-3.jpg

UserCraigOnNZ-4.jpg

UserCraigOnNZ-5.jpg

UserCraigOnNZ-6.jpg

Sl1me on the NZ site:

UserSl1meOnNZsite-1.jpg

UserSl1meOnNZsite-2.jpg

UserSl1meOnNZsite-3.jpg

Birador on the RP site:

UserBiradorOnRP-1.jpg

UserBiradorOnRP-2.jpg

UserBiradorOnRP-3.jpg

UserBiradorOnRP-4.jpg

Boom_Smashers on the RP site:

UserBoom_smashersOnRP-1.jpg

UserBoom_smashersOnRP-2.jpg

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

UserBoom_smashersOnRP-3.jpg

UserBoom_smashersOnRP-4.jpg

UserBoom_smashersOnRP-5.jpg

UserBoom_smashersOnRP-6.jpg

UserBoom_smashersOnRP-7.jpg

GrAhF11 on the RP site:

UserGrAhF11onRP-4.jpg

UserGrAhF11onRP-2.jpg

UserGrAhF11onRP-3.jpg

Rav888 on the RP site:

UserRav888onRP-1.jpg

Ronron on the RP site:

UserRonronOnRP-1.jpg

UserRonronOnRP-2.jpg

Ender on the SARK site:

UserEnderOnSARK-1.jpg

UserEnderOnSARK-2.jpg

Punk on the SARK site:

UserPunkOnSARK-1.jpg

UserPunkOnSARK-2.jpg

Milburnr on the SC site:

UserMilburnrOnSC-1.jpg

UserMilburnrOnSC-2.jpg

UserMilburnrOnSC-3.jpg

UserMilburnrOnSC-4.jpg

Dragon1188 on the SG site:

UserDragon1188onSG-1.jpg

UserDragon1188onSG-2.jpg

UserDragon1188onSG-3.jpg

Johntanjm on the SG site:

UserJohntanjmOnSG-13.jpg

UserJohntanjmOnSG-14.jpg

UserJohntanjmOnSG-15.jpg

Loowk on the SG site:

UserLoowkOnSG-1.jpg

Reefme on the SG site:

UserReefmeOnSG-1.jpg

UserReefmeOnSG-2.jpg

UserReefmeOnSG-3.jpg

UserReefmeOnSG-4.jpg

UserReefmeOnSG-5.jpg

Snaper on the SG site:

UserSnaperOnSG-1.jpg

UserSnaperOnSG-2.jpg

UserSnaperOnSG-3.jpg

UserSnaperOnSG-4.jpg

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Wideawake on the SG site:

UserWideawakeOnSG-1.jpg

UserWideawakeOnSG-2.jpg

Creetin on the SRC site:

UserCreetinOnSRC-1.jpg

UserCreetinOnSRC-2.jpg

UserCreetinOnSRC-3.jpg

UserCreetinOnSRC-4.jpg

UserCreetinOnSRC-5.jpg

UserCreetinOnSRC-6.jpg

Darasy on the TCMAS site:

UserDarasyOnTCMAS-1.jpg

UserDarasyOnTCMAS-2.jpg

UserDarasyOnTCMAS-3.jpg

UserDarasyOnTCMAS-4.jpg

UserDarasyOnTCMAS-6.jpg

UserDarasyOnTCMAS-7.jpg

FiveSmallWorlds on the TCMAS site:

UserFivesmallworldsOnTCMAS-1.jpg

UserFivesmallworldsOnTCMAS-2.jpg

Craigg on the UR site:

UserCraiggOnUR-1.jpg

UserCraiggOnUR-2.jpg

Wormside on the UR site:

UserWormsideOnUR-1.jpg

barbianj

My ATS has been running for over a few months now. I have two 125 gallon tanks fed to a 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump in the basement. The screen is a single layer 11 x 17 with the lights on a 18/6 timer. The second set of lights was added two weeks ago for a total of four 23 watt bulbs. (yes, I know one of the bulbs is cracked, it came that way in the package, for now it works). The ATS is fed by one of the tanks, and soon the second will be plumbed to it to double the flow. With the four lights, there is a very thick and even growth of algae on the screen.

The nitrates started out somewhere in the blood-red zone, and dropped to the 20-30 range. With the added lights and increased flow. I'm hopeful that the nitrates will drop even further. I have a fairly heavy load with a 12" Queen trigger in one tank, and a Clown Tang, Goldheart trigger, Blueline trigger, Pinktail trigger, Emperor angel, Blueface angel and Green Grass Wrasse in the other tank. They are between 3" to 6".

Algae was growing in gobs when it got going good-my wife soaks it in a gallon jug to fertilize her plants. I recently had a bout with ich. I tried hypo, but had issues with Ph so raised the salinity back up and treated with Cupramine since I have no inverts or corals. All of my fish made it through, and are doing extremely well now.

One problem I did have was that nearly all of the algae died off. I scrubbed all of the dead algae off of both sides of the screen and started over. The photos were taken today and show how much growth there has been in about two weeks. In a few more weeks the algae will be growing like crazy. The skimmer has only been in operation since the algae die-off, and will be removed soon.

I would like try the new material that you have posted about, but I would need a larger sheet than you have now. Is it something that can be purchased locally?

IMG_7413.jpg

IMG_7415.jpg

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

I think yours is the best example of strong and well-placed CFL floods. Here's a big helping hint: Your weakness is now your screen material. That tank-divider stuff is the least effective there is. You can see in the pics there are some bare-screen areas; this is where the algae let go and went into the water.

No there is no place to buy the material I'm giving away, and no I don't have larger sizes since they are all just small sizes for testing. You could try two sheets, and sew them together at the edge with fishing line, but at the very least you need to replace your screen with two layers of very very roughed up plastic canvas, pancaked together. Also clean every 7 days, no matter what you think the status of the screen is. Improved cleaning and a better screen will get your nitrates to zero in 4 weeks. Yes the extra flow will help too, but do so only after you get a better screen, because more flow will cause more algae to detach from your current screen material.

barbianj

Thanks for the input. I will start a search to find a better panel, of I'll make one.

One thing I wanted to add was how well the leftover algae works as a fertilizer. My wife divides it up into two one gallon milk containers and shakes it up. She pours off the water, but leaves the algae on the bottom, and each gallon can be refilled five times for a total of ten gallons of fertilized water. It's the best fertilizer that we have used, and it's free, (more or less). :flower:

I took off the sponge prefilter on my overflow, turned off the canister and left the carbon on. I did this a few days ago and now my water seems to be getting a little cloudy. Nitrates still at 20. Any thoughts?