McClain's RSM 130D

McClain75

Short tank update...

First things first i have the Tunze osmolator universal top up system in place. Spending some time trying to get water level / skimmer cup height / DT level all in sync (Which is proving difficult)

tunzeato24413.jpg

skimmer24413.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow i will start producing some consistent skimmate but time will only tell.

Also made some additions to the tank today, 5 Florida cerith snails and 5 (Enormous) Mexican Turbo Snails and i have added one picture of some growth on the rocks in my tank.

This is what i hope the added CUC will help with.
growthonrock24413.jpg

Some pics of the snails

mexicanturbo1.jpg

mexicanturbo2.jpg

mexicanturbo3.jpg

I would show you pictures of the ceriths but no sooner than they were acclimatised and put in the tank they took to hiding in the sandbed!

slakker

I got the Tunze Osmolator with the mounting arms a few years ago, but hated how it worked. Hard to mount and fine tune... but then got the magnet mount for it and it's 1000x better! The magnet can literally be easily moved millimetres at a time to fine tune the water level...

McClain75

New update. Addition of a fluidised reactor for my rowaphos.

So i wanted the TLF 150 but my LFS was out of stock but did recommend another type which i bought, all follow a similar principle i think? Intake through the middle and then through the media into a return pipe.

Here is the kit (Eheim 12mm tubing, Eheim compact 1000l P/hr pump, TMC reactor)

part1ns.jpg

part2va.jpg

This is it working and where its located

reactor.jpg

and how i have the pump & return set up

pumpreturn.jpg

and finally, my skimmer seems to finally be working and producing some consistent stuff...

skimmerupdate.jpg

Lets see how it all works out

McClain75

So i lost the aussie spider sponge. I felt my LFS may have told me what i wanted to hear to make the sale but it was clear that it had been out of the water at some point and it started to die. I didn't have it out of water at any point when it went into the tank. But i replaced it with some leather corals and ill get pics up tomorrow

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear you lost your spider sponge - I would ask lfs for a refund, worth a try. IMO they should have told you too, it was a difficult coral.

When I see corals listed as "Expert Only" I know they are hard to keep.

Care Level:
We have included a general guideline in our Quick Stats of the level of care that the different corals and invertebrates require. This is provided to give you a basis of the hardiness of the species, which you can then match to your level of experience.
Easy
Although not indestructible, the species in this category have proven to be not too demanding in the care that they require. Most of these corals and invertebrates do not have special feeding requirements and can tolerate less than perfect water conditions.
Moderate
The corals and invertebrates in this category demand a bit more attention than those that are considered "Easy" to care for. Some of these corals may have special feeding, lighting, or water movement requirements and may require water conditions closer to those found in nature.

Difficult
Species that fall into this category demand a higher level of both attention and water quality. Many of these corals and invertebrates have special feeding, water quality, movement and lighting requirements. They should only be added to a reef aquarium that is well established. Many reef aquariums do not become fully established for many months, and sometimes up to a year. These "Difficult" species should be among the last additions to your collection.

Expert Only
Organisms in the "Expert Only" category are very difficult to maintain in captivity in the long term. The requirements of many of these corals and invertebrates are specialized, and may need to be kept in a species-specific aquarium. These species are best kept by the most advanced hobbyists and research institutions. A well-established reef aquarium is a must for these species.

WYSIWYG Non-photosynthetic corals and more from the WYSIWYG Diver's Den

nycmarisol

Wow. I absolutely love your rock work. I'm sorry you lost one of your babies. I lost a Diamond Goby and it broke my heart. Doesn't it stink that most of the people at the LFS will tell you anything to sell you something? I found one person I can trust, but mostly I do my own research now and rely very little on the sales people.

McClain75

Thanks, That's a great help i usually use that site for checking on lighting requirements and if things a reef safe or some such special instruction. I think i may avoid this lfs as it is also where i got the fish that introduced ich into the tank. We live and learn from our experiences i guess

I will research a little more before i buy again; i think i'm in the easy to moderate category reading what you have said. Tank needs a lot more time to mature and establish.

McClain75

Wow. I absolutely love your rock work. I'm sorry you lost one of your babies. I lost a Diamond Goby and it broke my heart. Doesn't it stink that most of the people at the LFS will tell you anything to sell you something? I found one person I can trust, but mostly I do my own research now and rely very little on the sales people.

Thanks for the comments, i think they sometimes get a little fast and loose with the truth to make a sale. That's why these forums are so useful to read other people's experiences and look at many of the builds and learn from lessons others have learned.

Picture update coming tomorrow after a 10% water change

Also. i'm looking to have something help me keep the sand turning over, the goby that i have is a little lazy in this respect, any suggestions of something i could add?

McClain75

I have asked for a quote on a custom ATO reservoir from a local company to see their build quality. If its high quality i will more than likely use them for balling containers and a sump + fuge when the time comes.

McClain75

Tank update: 10-5-13

Tested water today, alkalinity a little low at 7.0, salinity a little low 1.024, and calcium at 400. Got ATO set up to draw SW until it gets 1.026 and will test again. If they are low i will need to dose some Alk and calcium potions. (Maybe this is the time to buy a doser, i dont know). Some big updates coming next week i think as its my birthday! But now for some pictures of the tank.

The larger of the two Acans
acan10513.jpg

Two Polyp Colonies
polyps10513.jpg

New Addition to replace the spider sponge i lost last week
fingercoral10513.jpg

Leather Toadstool
toadstoolleather10513.jpg

The Goby!
goby10513.jpg

and finally my current FTS
fts10513.jpg

Thanks for looking

McClain75

Added some pipe organ coral today, 2 small clusters and a small peice of what i believe is blue sympodium coral. Pics to come once they are settled

Great choice for a nano, and welcome to the best forum on the Web.... You will find all your answers here, be patient and you will be fine. Great looking tank and scape. Good luck.

McClain75

Great choice for a nano, and welcome to the best forum on the Web.... You will find all your answers here, be patient and you will be fine. Great looking tank and scape. Good luck.

Thanks for checking in, i like the RSM for its quality and its looks. Also did a lot of research before buying it for the "best nano". I also like the look of the S650 too and will upgrade once i move out of this apartment.

Slow and steady is how im taking it. Got a sponge in the back culturing good bacteria and once thats ready ill be starting off my QT before adding any other fish. Everyone on this forum seems helpful and free from the negativity you usually see on forums. Its a good place to be.

Cheers

McClain75

Some pics!

These are the pipe organs i added today, blue sympodium is still being a little shy so ill see how its settled tomorrow.

newpipeorgans11513.jpg

whitepipe11513.jpg

greenpipe11513.jpg

and their resting place within the tank

polypcolony.jpg

I'll update with pictures of the sympodium tomorrow

McClain75

I have moved the blue sympodium up to the top as most coral care websites indicate that this should be mid to high level needing moderate lighting. Almost immediately it made a difference and it started opening up, its really really pretty. Pics to follow. Also, my toadstool leather has gone in, i think from reading its due to self cleaning?