McClain's RSM 130D

McClain75

Thought after reading so many other threads i would start my own thread for my RSM 130D. I have kept a few tanks in my time, mostly tropical but for the past few years i have been trying to create a decent reef tank. Had an excellent sumped 450L SPS tank but new job meant i had to move and couldn't take it with me so i bought a TMC micro habitat to keep me in the hobby and of course almost immediately upgraded to something bigger. Now i'm already planning my RSM S-650 (With the blessing of my better half! She accepts that posts on this forum are legally binding and cannot change her mind from this point onwards).

All that aside i did a lot of research at which was the "best" nano tank, i looked at i think almost every one and the ones that i felt fitted what i needed all fell into the RSM category i did look at a 28g Nano cube but i didn't feel that it was quite for me.

So i bought the RSM 130D, 20kg (44lbs) of fiji cured LR and i already had 5kg (11lbs) in my other tank. 10kg of Live sand all of the RSM kit, test kits and what nots and 2 circulation pumps for added flow.

So on day 1 i added the sand and RO water and let the temperature rise overnight. On day 2 i added and scaped the live rock. (I left some rock in my other tank whilst i still had livestock in there).

day21n.jpg

day22n.jpg

day23.jpg

Will update with week 2 and 3 pics Soon™

McClain75

Re: Mr RSM 130D

So here is the next update...

This was the tank after 10 days, parameters at this point all ok. Highest concern was nitrates at <5 ppm. Had been through a pretty large diatom outbreak and then cleaned it up for the first time

week1almost2.jpg

So after a few more days it was time to add the fish! Goby was bought new, the other 3 fish came from the other tank.

goby.jpg

percs.jpg

closeupgobyblenny.jpg

blenny.jpg

and then i added the last piece of rock from the old tank before shutting it down.

week3x.jpg

Will be taking some more pictures tomorrow after i test the parameters, clean the tank and do my weekly 10% water change.

McClain75

Re: Mr RSM 130D

Forgot to add, to deal with some of the algae that was forming i added some more turbos but they were all attached to each other!

turbocluster.jpg

mtsully71

:thumbup: Great looking tank, I like the centered sloping rock look, I cant get enough of the gobies. Probably my favorite small fish

McClain75

Update 20-4-13

Hey guys, time for an update...

I have made a couple of additions to the tank these past couple of weeks. A tuxedo urchin, 2 cleaner shrimp, a sixline wrasse, a beautiful spider sponge coral, a jasmine star polyp colony and a green star polyp colony. Tank is coming along quite nicely. Still running it almost stock (addition of 2 flow pumps in the DT). I'm also upgrading my RO unit to an RO DI unit and i'm contemplating the Tunze converstion and media rack as well as trying to find a way to add a phosban reactor and eventually a sump including refugium without drilling. (Ambitious?)

Anyhow some pics!

My Spider Sponge Coral
spidersponge.jpg

The two polyp colonies
starpolyp.jpg

Sixline Wrasse (Very active fish in the tank)
sixline.jpg

Tuxedo Urchin with some camo!
tuxedourchin.jpg

and finally a FTS
fts2049.jpg

McClain75

Getting all the fish out of the DT may be problematic, have the perfect thing for a QT however so will get one of those started asap. Also ordered the Tunze Osmolator Universal to help me keep my skimmer dialed in.

McClain75

Good thread and nice choice of fish. Scape is awesome too. Sorry about the clown loss. Thanks for sharing and welcome.

Cheers for the comments.

Probably going to replace the clown whilst the other is still so young and hope they pair off. Not sure on any more fish i was thinking about a pair of banggai cardinals and gold assessor basslet. I'm in no rush either i want to get some more gadget additions so i can ensure the longevity and stability of the tank. Namely:

50gpd RO/DI unit (Upgrade from standard RO unit) (Ordered)
Tunze Osmolator ATO (Ordered due on wednesday) - I'm hoping this will help me keep this stock skimmer dialed in.
TLF Phosban reactor with eheim pump (If i can figure out how to mount it behind safely with no leakage!)
Replacing one of the stock returns with a MJ900
Addition of a chiller if summer weather proves problematic

and maybe a controller but i need to read more on which, why and when...

Long term i want to add a sump with overflow box and get a refugium/sump setup with some peppermint shrimps and macro algae

McClain75

Noticed a small aiptasia problem inside my caves, cant get to it conventionally with aip-x or similar. Do any of you guys think i would get away with 3 peppermint shrimp in there? Also if i did get some peppermint shrimps what would be best to feed them once the aips are gone?

McClain75

Did a 10% water change today and will do another on sunday, usually just do 1 x 10% per week (15 Litres) but getting some detritus build up and even though my nitrates and phosphates are reading <1ppm and <0.04 for nitrates and phosphates i think they are false readings as the nutrients are being used? Sooner i get the RO/DI instead of plain RO i think ill be doing much better. I also think i will reduce feeding to half a block a day rather than one block per day and increase clean up crew.