Mayja's 90 Gallon Reef Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
After I got a PM about my tank thread (thanks for reading it btw - I'm flattered!), I reread my very first post and laughed at how things have changed. Here's a little review/update of my livestock choices:

Original Post:
Current Livestock
2x Percula Clownfish (added 2/5/13)

Current CUC
10x Red/Blue Legged Hermit Crabs (added 2/6/13)

Future Livestock
1x Royal Gramma Basslet
6x Green Chromis
1x Yellow Tang
1x Blue Hippo Tang
1x Coral Beauty Dwarf Angelfish
2x Longfin Bannerfish (possible addition depending on space/behavior)

Future CUC
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Harelquin Shrimp
Emerald Crab

Hehehehe Harelquin Shrimp :LOL: Okay, here's where we stand now:

Current livestock:
2x Percula Clownfish
1x Green Chromis
1x Blue-Spotted Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Bangaai Cardinal
1x Pearly Jawfish
1x Royal Gramma Basslet

Future Livestock:
1x Blue Hippo Tang OR 1x Yellow Eye Cole Tang
1x Coral Beauty Dwarf Angelfish
1x Yellow Tang
2x Longfin Bannerfish (still on the fence on these)

Current CUC:
Red/Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
Nassarius Snails
Cerith Snails
3x Mexican Turbo Snails
3x Trochus Snails
Stomatella Snails
Limpets
1x Peppermint Shrimp

Future CUC:
1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1x Emerald Crab
1x Sexy Shrimp?
More snails

Last edited:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Haven't posted a full tank shot in a while:

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Thanks to everyone who commented. It means a lot coming from such great reef keepers! :heart:*MUAH*:heart:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Mayja :wave:
I was just wondering if you've thought about adding more Green Chromis to try again for a small school of them?
I know you started out with a small school, how do you feel about trying again? :fishy::fishy::fishy:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Hi Mayja :wave:
I was just wondering if you've thought about adding more Green Chromis to try again for a small school of them?
I know you started out with a small school, how do you feel about trying again? :fishy::fishy::fishy:

Heyas!

I've thought about it and the answer is no. I'm not going to test those waters again (pun intended). I burst into tears every time I saw one of those fish beaten up and gasping for air. I never want to be the cause of that again. Besides, it leaves more room for other fish!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
STORY TIME!!!

On October 24th, I jumped in on a group order that my local reefers group was doing with a company down in Florida. Well, one of the fish someone ordered was on backorder and it delayed the shipment for everyone since it was all coming together to save on shipping. The shipment arrived on November 6th - the day before I was jumping on a plane for Los Angeles! :bugout:

Thankfully, the person who had it shipped to their house told me that if I didn't have enough time to drive to her house (45 minutes away), pick 'em up, drive back and acclimate them before we go, then she would keep my critters in her sump until I came home. Well, I was able to get out to her house and get them acclimated with still plenty of time to pack! Whew!

Anywho... I am now the proud owner of one red mithrax crab and one skunk cleaner shrimp! I checked in on them when I got home Monday night and they were doing great! The crab has already removed a bunch of bubble algae and the shrimp was bopping around the rocks like he grew up there.

Pics to come!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Great UPDATE Mayja...Can't wait to see pictures of your new additions! :D
Don't reckon I've ever seen a RED Mithrax Crab :ponder2:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
How's the red crab behaving?? I don't know "what was I thinking??" But I added a couple of crabs too :(
I just got them yesterday and I already feel like I just did the stupidest thing ever :( OMGosh! :grind:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
How's the red crab behaving?? I don't know "what was I thinking??" But I added a couple of crabs too :(
I just got them yesterday and I already feel like I just did the stupidest thing ever :( OMGosh! :grind:

He's been awesome thus far! He got rid of a ton of bubble algae that was encroaching on my sinularia leather and did not hurt the coral! He's great at getting stuff that is beneath the rocks where the snails can't go. Which crabs did you end up getting?

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
This one is hard to capture on film since he's usually not out in the open:

IMG_2318.jpg

5fdd85bf-9fa8-4f90-b8af-ccdf38546f89.jpg

And here's the cleaner shrimp:

IMG_2319.jpg

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer

Let me start by saying I have a GREAT skimmer. I love my skimmer! It's the Bashsea Twisted Skimmer and it is a BEAST! That said, there is only one downfall to my skimmer: it's too big to fit into my sump chamber due to the way my tank stand is configured (I can't angle it enough to get it into the sump chamber). Thus, it takes away precious cabinet space outside of the sump. *sad panda face*

So, when BRS listed the Vertex Omega 150 for 40% off (plus I had a coupon and BRS points), I squeaked (SQEEEEEE!) and clicked (clicky-clicky) and now it's on its way! This will allow me to free up a ton of cabinet space for some anticipated Xmas gifts such as a dual GFO/Carbon reactor and an ATO water reservoir.

I've read reviews on the Vertex Omega 150, and all have been positive thus far (Reef Builders, AquaNerd). Does anyone here have one and how happy (or unhappy) have you been with it?

Also, if you want my beautiful super-fab Bashsea, I'm going to clean this baby up and sell it off (only used since June with a low-moderate bio load). Check my tank thread here and you can see it installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.