Mayja's 90 Gallon Reef Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Turbos can be bulldozers and will knock over coral frags that are not glued in place. I guess they could not over some rock if it was pretty unstable to start with but that seems like a stretch.

All in all turbos are good to have in reef aquariums since they can decimate some algae!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Yeah, my turbos have only knocked over corals, but it wasn't the ones with which I've had trouble.

StirCrayzy

Do you ever check PH of your supply water? I would even suspect salt mix. Can't hurt to test :)
It's hard to say there's nothing left to check, it's more like waiting to figure out WHAT to test.

Many municipal water departments will give a full breakdown for you if you ask nicely.
And if you get any refusals, let me know. I have a chemist hookup at city of warren water treatment plant.
I could prob set you up a test.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
It was indeed a very merry Xmas this year! Now I have lots of things to install, and I'll need to rearrange all the power cords in the cabinet. I finally have my second Tunze powerhead and wave controller. I'll be able to get some great wavy-flowy action now. I'll be adding a DI unit and TDS meter to my RO unit. I'll be adding a dual carbon/GFO reactor somewhere in the cabinet under the tank. I'll also be adding the Tunze ATO. I'll have to use a bucket for my reservoir for now as the one I requested is currently on backorder. All in all, a fabulous reef Xmas!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Yesterday was my 11 month anniversary! After work, I spent it adding some of my new toys to the tank. I got the dual GFO/carbon reactor going and I setup the second Tunze powerhead and wave controller. I even played with my new Hanna phosphate checker... .06 was the magic number - and that was from my RO water! So, tonight I'll hook up the DI canister to my RO unit. I also took the time to label all of the power cords under the tank so I know which one to pull when necessary.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Update: For the past couple weeks, the RO now has the DI component and the TDS meter is operational. My intake water is around 120ppm and comes out as zero after the DI filter. Tank phosphate level has been reduced from .06 to .04 so far. Next, I'll be replacing the T5/Halide bulbs as they are overdue for replacement.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
This morning I saw my little red mithrax crab hanging out on his favorite rock. He was cruising around like he normally does. I came home from work, and he was hanging on the rock (different spot) doing his thing. I just walked past the tank, and he's on his back. There are three snails and a hermit crab feasting on him. WTF happened? I only had him for 2.5 months! I'm so sad.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Sorry for your loss.:cry1:
Is the red mithrax crab susceptible to anything in particular or is it just vulnerable?
YorkieUK:hug1:

Mike Johnson

Oh no. Did you ever see a molt? If it wasn't near the end of its life cycle you would have seen a molt. Sometimes they sell old specimens; that's why I always try to pick out little ones. I went back in your tank thread and looked at your Mithrax and it did look like a full grown adult. I'm thinking it died of old age. They only live 2 - 4 years max. With 3 years being normal.

The Red Mithrax is considered a much more reef friendly crab than the Green Mithrax. Just in case Diana is reading.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Sorry for your loss.:cry1:
Is the red mithrax crab susceptible to anything in particular or is it just vulnerable?
YorkieUK:hug1:

Not that I know of. I think Mike is right - he was just old. I've already ordered two emerald crabs from Reefcleaners.org. They guarantee that these guys will eat bubble algae or I'll get my money back. I have so much of it now, these two will be feasting for a while.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Oh no. Did you ever see a molt? If it wasn't near the end of its life cycle you would have seen a molt. Sometimes they sell old specimens; that's why I always try to pick out little ones. I went back in your tank thread and looked at your Mithrax and it did look like a full grown adult. I'm thinking it died of old age. They only live 2 - 4 years max. With 3 years being normal.

The Red Mithrax is considered a much more reef friendly crab than the Green Mithrax. Just in case Diana is reading.

No, he never molted. This was an online vendor purchase, so I couldn't pick my specimen. I trust Reefcleaners.org. I know they'll send me younger ones. They should arrive on 1/28/14.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sorry for the loss of your Red Mithrax Mayja :(
Hope you have better luck with your new emerald crabs than I have had with mine.
I put one in the refugium & one in my DT but I hardly ever see either one of them. When I do see them, they are always within an inch space of where they always hide. I don't know what they are eating or even if they eat :mad:
I have been keeping my GBA under control with manual (DIY) removal as they haven't touched a single bubble that I know of :mad: My Emeralds are very tiny & haven't damaged anything yet, guess that's all the good I can say for them. Please update on the ones you get...I'm interested to know if the eat GBA. ;)

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Yesterday was my one year anniversary. It's been a wild ride and I'm still loving every moment I can spend in front of my tank.

We've come a long way, baby!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sweet!! You are one of the few who still have the same rockwork a year later!!!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
This past Friday, I introduced a bunch of new additions to the CUC: two baby emerald crabs, 10 or so assorted hermits, 5 nerites, 15 or so dwarf ceriths and 10 florida ceriths. There's plenty for them to eat and it seems like they got busy right away. I haven't seen the emeralds eating much of the bubble algae yet, but I'll give them some time first to settle in.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
What a difference!

It's amazing how much a little care and patience can transform a reef.

Status
Not open for further replies.