Mayja's 90 Gallon Reef Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
ACK! Yes, Choff, I'm home and the four new frags that I got from My Reef To Yours are doing just fine thus far (Two orange ricordea, a new hammer, duncan (3 heads), and acans). I got them in the tank yesterday. Diana - my tank is a horrible bubble algae disaster that I'm currently cleaning up, so no full tanks shots anytime soon, but I'll take some frag shots as soon as they really open up.

Paul - thank you very much for your feedback about my thread! I hope that my experiences have helped in some way or form. Anytime you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. If I can't answer them, I'll find someone who can.

I'll be working on posting MACNA photos as well!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Four new frags from My Reef to Yours at MACNA:

Hammer
1a3b4d132196c9ceb6158d97c650808f.jpg

Acans
d4d3df23bc39e4d5b7682894d4a27aaa.jpg

Ricordea
ccd0a1fc9f3bbc8203dc97e1b32121df.jpg

Duncans
0447eed9de7e12b8cfc1f39db1f011b5.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Every time I do a WC on my tank, I think about You Mayja.
I have gotten to really enjoy my seek & destroy mission on GBA. I only find one or two in my tank and it's not much of a challenge now. I think, "I could fill up a 1/2 this 5 gal bucket if I could go see MAYJA!" That would really be FUN! :D
I can reach behind my rock scape where I can't see & remove them like a blind person reading Braille...I'm getting that good at it ;) I hope you are working on your GBA removal, wish I could come :help: you!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I haven't said a peep since MACNA. So much has been happening in my life post divorce. I barely have a chance to focus on my tank, and it shows. I have lost the bubble algae war. It's everywhere. There's no way I can get rid of it from the LR without taking all the LR out, scrapping it and baking it. It sucks. That's not the only algae either. I feel like my DT is an epic refugium. :ashamed::tears:

I'm considering starting over. Completely. Clean out and sell my current tank, refugium and stand. I've been checking out the new Red Sea Reefer Series tanks and I have my eye on their biggest one. It's five feet long (instead of my current four) and about 10 gallons or so more than my current tank. I love that it's rimless, it comes with all the plumbing, it has a dedicated ATO, an emergency overflow, and a dedicated space for a chiller in the cabinet. I also love that I can use my own lights, skimmer, pumps, etc. That's a big plus.

The fish are currently very happy and healthy. My corals are not showing any growth. A few look really happy (leather/zoas/mushrooms/ricordea/anthelia). I've lost a couple (duncans, acans, candy canes) and a couple are not looking happy, but are surviving (frogspawn/hammer/brain).

The new tank would be setup in a new location and would be given plenty of time to do a full cycle before any transfers of fish or coral. It would have a mix of new LR and dry rock (to save on costs and lower the chances of nasty hitchhikers).

This is all still just a conversation, but it's looking more and more like a plan.

Last edited:

puffermike

An upgrade like that could be just what you need. Ive been in your shoes before and its going to take time to get used to life. What better way to spend it? Your interests show you who you are, so I'd definitely make this a plan! Rimless tanks are a favorite of mine. :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I really like your plan to get a new tank. :thumbup:
Give your fish a new home so that you can enjoy the hobby once again.
There are times (even right after removal of all I can see) that I still fear GBA could easily get out of control on my tank. Because I know how fast I see it go from a tiny few spores to good size patches.
Sometimes I wonder if it is possible at all to have a reef tank that is completely free of GBA :ponder2: :dunno:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Let us know if you take the plunge and buy the new larger tank!! Then start a new thread also.

UPDATE: I've got my discount coupon and I'm trying to locate a dealer who will order/ship the tank to me when it becomes available. I will find a Reefer 450 if it kills me!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
:woohoo:
Nothing like a new tank!! Definitely excited for you Mayja :) You might even be the first with a reefer (I haven't seen anyone with one yet!)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I know that they have started to distribute them in the UK, but I haven't seen one stateside yet.
It should be too far away as I'm pretty sure there are pre-orders available here so that means they'd be even closer for you guys :)
Nice size tank for an upgrade though :D

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I'm trying to decide on rock and sand for my new Reefer 450 (I don't have the tank yet. Soon.) I'm looking at a couple different options:
  • BRS dry rock + CaribSea live sand
  • Vidarock/Cerameco or Real Reef Rock + CaribSea live sand

Plus, I can't decide which CaribSea grade of sand to get.

Suggestions/advice would be wonderful. I'm open to everyone's responses, but I'm going to try the new tagging feature on the website to see if I can get some specific attention: @Choff, @Oxylebius, @PSU4ME, @nanoreefing4fun, @DaveK

DaveK

The tagging feature worked for me.

As for rock and sand, I don't think it will make much difference in the long run.

Short term the Real Reef rock will give you more variety of life on it, and the tank may cycle slightly faster.

As for live sand, I'd use the bagged live sand if it was the same price as the normal dry sand. About all you will get on the packaged live sand is bacteria, and that will grow in the sandbed anyway. Again, it's more a question on how long you want to wait.

In any case it never hurts to seed the system with a few really nice live rocks.

Pat24601

Your Friday FTS got me to check out this thread. Your comments were very funny! And, You have a great Cardinalfish!

Sorry to hear things have been rough, but a new tank can be fun and exciting!

I've been doing (freshwater) aquariums for pretty much my whole life and I've had my share of times when real life made sure my aquarium wasn't my highest priority and it showed. It's a cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.