Maxima clam relocation

Mdk16

I purchased a maxima today at Macna. It's my first clam and I did some research prior to today.

After acclimation, I put it on a ledge, mid tank with good light. It's in a RSM 650 with 10 t5's.

After an hour or so it was on the sand bed. I put it back on the shelf and an hour later its back on the sand bed. I missed the trip both times.

I understand they can move if not happy but this ones foot is on a round plug. I don't think it fell off 2x. This species should be on the rocks.

Any suggestions?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I don't know what to tell you except:
THAT'S A BEAUTIFUL CLAM!!!
It will look awesome wherever you put it or it wants to sit :D
Great pictures, thanks for sharing :)

Mike Johnson

They sell cup shaped clam holders, but I like the natural look. Do you have any rocks that are concave that you can rearrange and put it in? They can suck in water and blow it out with quite a force which enables them to move around. Even with 10 T5's it should be placed up high; they require a lot of light.

Take it out of the water carefully because they can also hold a lot of water and squirt and soak you.

This clam is a Crocea Clam, but see how it's in a cup shaped rock. It has never moved since I put it there. If it is always squirting it's not happy in it's location.

kyle4201

Mike, I was hoping 4 u to chime in. I want 1 or 4 of these SO bad. My tank is only 5 months old. I do 2 weak water changes and my parameters are always spot on. Everything else seems to be doing very well. Is it worth me to try one of these soon or should I wait about a year or so like I thought? Btw, to both of you, beautiful clams.!!! I can't wait to do whatever Mike tells me to do.

Mike Johnson

Kyle, let me think about it for a little bit and I'll get back to you on the different strategies for clams.

I forgot to mention to mdk16 that you should use a sharp knife and cut the byssal threads close to the plug. It won't hurt the clam; their byssal threads are like our hair or fingernails. There's probably zero risk of cutting it's foot, but I'd look to make sure that it is connected by byssal threads and not by it's foot.

The clam may decide to just shed it's existing byssal threads which isn't a problem either because I have watched them extend a new set of byssal threads almost immediately.

Cut the clam off the plug and relocate it in a depression in the live rock or a grooved stone.

Any more questions about your T. maxima just ask.

Mdk16

Thanks Mike. The ledge that I had it on actually has a concave shape to it. I just figured I'd leave it on the plug for easy access to move it if necessary. I was concerned with removing it from the plug as I did not want to damage it's foot.

Also, I would think that if it didn't like the location on the ledge with the plug it probably won't like it without the plug?

I've also read to leave it on the sand bed for a few day and then slowly raise up. Do you recommend this?

What's the best way to remove from the plug?

Mike Johnson

I wouldn't put it in the sand because sucking in sand can irritate it. Take a sharp knife or razor and cut it off the plug and put it in a depression in a rock.

kyle4201

I think this is the "guilty" pic right here!! lol.
image_zps7577796b.jpg

Mdk16

Ok Mike. I followed your recommendation. Cut him off the plug with a razor blade. Hopefully I didn't damage it. Placed it back on the concavity portion of the rock. I'm using the plug as a support until it attaches. How long should that take if its happy?

Mdk16

Should I be concerned about the white shell showing in the picture above on the front left. I hope it's not the beginning of PM. It was not like that yesterday. I hope I didn't stress it out. I'll keep an eye on it.

Mdk16

It's around 3 1/2" end to end. I just removed the plug that was supporting it. Still has not attached but is a little open.

jerry26

this is a question.

since they can move on their own, cant you glue/epoxy the plug to the rocks and then let it move on its own?

Mike Johnson

They really can't move on their own. Like, they can't climb rocks and things like that. In the wild the clam larvae will float around on the top of the water and when it gets to about 5/16", looks just like an adult clam but tiny, it will settle. Some settle in a good spot and live well, others settle in spots not so good and don't make it.

When we say move we mean it will blow water and move around in circles.

Here's a quote from "Marine Invertebrates" by Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner: Placement of clams is another simple but crucial matter of importance. As with hermatypic corals and like symbiotic animals, Tridacnid clams should be placed in a good spot the first time and left in place! Moving healthy and established animals throughout a display can impose tremendous stress as they try to compensate for the changes in lighting, circulation and proximity to other life. Repetitive moves of newly acquired animals within a matter of days or weeks can prove to be fatal. Aquarists are advised to research the clam's needs as best as possible, make informed decisions and place them permanently the first time. Clams should be set upon a hard flat rock ... to reduce the risk of siege by predators through the byssal port and damage to vital organs."

When they attach themselves they will set the byssal opening flat against the rock by themselves.

anthony27

When it comes to clams I have found that some like the rocks and others pefer the sand, the more you move the clam the more stress you are causing on it.

Now with this being said: "cant you glue/epoxy the plug" The clam came on the plug to make it eaiser for them to travel with it. That plug should be removed and the clam should have its natural hold to your tank with its foot.

I have four clams ranging from 5 inches to half a foot and they are all on the bottom of the tank with no sand. It eally all depends on how the clam likes that spot. Just keep a eye out and see from there.

TCP316

Beautiful clam. Is that a 3d camera shot? Pretty awesome photo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Mdk16

Just a quick update. My first attempt at keeping a maxima is not working out so good. The clam never attached to the rock once I removed it from the plug I bought it on. I thought at the time that it was a clean cut and maybe it was but it never liked the spot. It has been a slow decline over the last few weeks, and the last 48hrs it has been open even at night and is gapping.

My other issue is that my nitrates are at zero. I may have been too ambitious introducing this clam so early on the tanks life. I thought that as I transfered all my rock and water that it would be ok. Live and learn.

I don't think that there is anything I can do to save it. Is there?