Max chiller size for RSM250

orieng

Reefmack, Thanks for your suggestion. I have never kept salt water fishes and my experince is limited to Fresh Water Planted only of which I have three tanks now. I am open to the idea of cycling with dead rocks and shrimps even though I have made arrangements to cure the live rock . I have built a 3*2*2 feet glass aquarium for cycling the rock . I will have a protein skimmer and will keep it at a balcony of my house so that it is exposed to sunlight for about 3-4 hrs a days. Please suggest a easy way out for me. Awaiting your suggestions. thanks

Dweezil

orieng ~ Sorry for the late welcome but welcome to RS. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your tank. :)

orieng

orieng ~ Sorry for the late welcome but welcome to RS. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your tank. :)

Thanks Dweezil. All of you guys have really made me feel at home. Will really need all the help I can get to start and run my tank.

Last edited:

orieng

hello everyone,
finally my red sea max 250 is arriving tomorrow evening. will update you guys once i get my hands on it. thanks

orieng

The RSM is here finally. Didn't have the time to set it up in the morning and will do it tonight. Maybe I need to start up a new thread. Whta do you guys say?

imaccat

Great news and I would definately start a new thread, it's a great way to get help and keep a record of your journey

orieng

Hello again,
I managed to assemble the RSM 250 after a lot of work . It appears that there is no spare outlet available in the control panel to connect the chiller pump, chiller and the cabinet ventilation kit. How have you connected those to your system? I will have to now wait for about two weeks for the live rock to arrive. Shall I mix the sea water and add the substrate with nitrobac now so that some sort of bacteria starts developing in the system? Guys please advse me. Thanks again.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Shall I mix the sea water and add the substrate with nitrobac now so that some sort of bacteria starts developing in the system?

I think I would... the sand can settle & the skimmer might not do much, but it could start breaking in... I would even add a deli shrimp :)

steved13

PREMIUM
You need to plug those in somewhere else. There are no extra plugs.

I would wait for the rock before adding the nitrobac. I'm sure the bacteria will find the rock sooner or later either way, but since the whole idea of the nitrobac is to help populate the system, why not wait until the system (rock being part of the system) is in place. Again, I'm sure either way would work. You could always add some nitrobac now and more when the rock goes in, actually that is how I would do it.

If you put any in I would definitely add a deli shrimp otherwise I think you would starve the bacteria.

orieng

Thank you all for your guidance for this novice. I will wait for the LR to arrive before I fill up my system. i will post pics of my tank and L R curing tank very soon. Nothing much to do now but stare at my empty tank till my stuff arrives.

orieng

Hi , I have procured a Eheim marine pump 1103 to run my chiller ( HC 300) . I am planning to install it below my stock no 2 pump . Please give your views on the same guys. i am also planning to test my system tomorrow with fresh water. The LR shipment is getting delayed due to Cyclone Laila off the south india coast. Just waiting to get started now. Got also one 250 litre drum to start stocking R O water from the kitchen. Going to start collecting the water tonight once the missus goes to bed. Can I post a few pics of my " fresh water planted" till I get started on my RSM reef?

orieng

Hi everybody, I need some more advice from you guys. My live rock is supposed to arrive next wednesday and in anticipation i prepared some saltwater in my curing tank. I put in 7 kgs of red sea coral pro saltwater in 210 litres of R.O water. But the ph is only 7.8. The reef system needs 8.2 ph. How do i increase the ph to the desired level? I have put in a powerhead and a eheim 2000 compact pump in my curing tank to circulate the water. i also have a cheap weipro skimmer for use during the curing of my live rock. The L r will arrive after being transpoerted for about 80 hours so i am not sure what will be the condition of it. I will post pictures as soon as my Live rock arrive..promise. In the meantime my RSM 250 is sitting sadly in my living room. And can you guys tell me a DIY solution to calibrate my hanna ph meter?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The only way I know to calibrate a pH meter is with prepared ph buffer solutions - usually pH 4, 7, 10. I don't think there any trustworthy way of making the buffers yourself.

I wouldn't worry about the pH for curing the live rock - 7.8 is fine and may change during the curing process. My tank is at times down to 7.8 with no problems at all.