Max chiller size for RSM250

orieng

Hi everybody, I am from India and I have just ordered a RSM 250 from Singapore. I will have to put in a chiller to cope with our weather. What is the Max Size of chiller that can fit in the cabinet? The temperature in my area is about 35 -37 degree centigrade during the summer with very high levels of humidity. Members please help me with a reccomendation for a appropriate chiller that can be accomodated inside the cabinet. Thanks.

imaccat

Hi and welcome to RS

Congratulations on your new tank, I'm sure you will love it.

I have the D-D DC300 chiller inside the cabinet, I think this one is on the limits of what can be fitted inside as they need a certain amount of air space around them, which is probably dependent on the specific chiller. Here is the one I have DC-300 Refrigerated Cooler | Deltec Skimmers | Marine Aquarium | The Aquarium Solution

I'm sure other 250 owners will chip in with advice as well.

Good luck with your tank

imaccat

Sorry forgot to ask about the ambient temp of the room that the 250 will be in, if it is anywhere close to the figures you quote for your area then you would need a more powerful chiller than the one I have, more powerful generally means bigger, so you may have to have it outside of the cabinet, which many 250 owners do anyway.

orieng

Thanks Iaan. I may need a bigger chiller due to the temperatures over here. But i dont want to spoil the look of the RSM by placing the ciller outside. So I want to fit in the biggest available chiller that will fit inside. Thanks anyway

imaccat

You are welcome. RS do an additional fan that fits in the gap at the back of the cabinet to help draw air through for a chiller so you may need one of those as well.

tnwillia

the aea you have to work with in the cabinet iis 16x16x24 inches lxwxh. chillers un and blow hot air. you don't want one to fill that space. you also need to keep your tank at least 10 inches off the wall if you do this for ventilation. good luck, and welcome to RS!

orieng

Hi everybody, after going thru your replies I have ordered for a teco Chiller Tr-15 for my RSM. All my equipment have already landed at Delhi from Singapore and will be transhipped to my place at guwahati next monday. So I should be getting my stuff by the 8th or 9th nov. Will keep you posted. Thanks once again

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Be sure to start a tank thread & share some pics with us !

orieng

Thanks everybody for your warm welcome. i was reading the RSM manual which I downloaded and it shows that I need a separate chiller pump. Do I actually need a separate pump or can I use on of the pumps that is already there in the system? If I need a separat pump I will have to buy Eheim pump as it is readily available here. What should be the capacity that I should buy? Please help .

steved13

PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM club!!!

The chiller will have flow requirements,. Their site shows the specs at 180 to 600 gallons per hour, you'll need a pump that meets those. Make sure you allow for the head pressure for how far you are going to run the lines to and from the chiller. I would think you could use the left chamber pump but you'll probably lose a lot of flow in the tank, but you could make that up with power heads.

I'm using the return pump from my sump, but I'm sure someone who has used the circulation pump will chime in for you.

imaccat

I'm using a newjet 2300 in the right hand chamber, replacing the stock pump. The flow back into the tank is quite low, but I also have a vortech mp40 so I'm not too worried about the lack of flow out of the chiller pump.

Good luck

orieng

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and tips. I have ordered the Teco Tr-15 and will be powering it with a Eheim Compact+3000 pump. Will keep you posted after I receive my RSM and other equipment. There is no other reefer in my town and I think i will be the first guy in my part of the country to go for a Reef Setup. If you google Guwahati , India you will know what mean. I will need all your guidance and help to achive my dream. Bye

orieng

Best wishes for success with being the first reefer in Guwahati!

Tourism in Guwahati, Guwahati Tourism, Guwahati India, Tourism Guwahati, Tourism of Guwahati, India Tourism, Turismo en la India, Tourismus in Indien, Toerisme in India, Viajes, Touren, Giri

Looks like a pretty area. The only thing I recognized in the information was the Brahmaputra river - I remember reading about that in school (long ago).

Reefmack, next time you are in this part of the world please let me know. I will give you a conducted tour. Our state has the world best Rhino conservation success story in the world at " Kaziranga National Park". If wildlife is your thing come visit us once.:yummy:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I doubt I'll ever travel that far again, but I appreciate the offer! You never really know what's in the future. :) I've read about the Rhino conservation success in Kaziranga National Park - it's always good to see endangered wildlife being successfully protected.

orieng

Hi again, my RSM is on transit and should be with me by the 8thor 9th of this month. Now i have to source some live rock. The only way live rock can be transported is by train and the travel time will be approx 48 -72 hrs. what is the best way that the rock can be packed so that the live rock can be transported with the least damage? please advice me fello reefers.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi again, my RSM is on transit and should be with me by the 8thor 9th of this month. Now i have to source some live rock. The only way live rock can be transported is by train and the travel time will be approx 48 -72 hrs. what is the best way that the rock can be packed so that the live rock can be transported with the least damage? please advice me fello reefers.

Best way would be in water, but even with that you may get a lot of die-off with 2-3 days shipping. You'll have to cycle the rock once you get it in the tank.

Have you thought about using dead dry rock and cycling it with a shrimp?