Martin's RSM C-130

melvis

Well...following on from dipping my toe in the 'meet and greet' water yesterday, I had a spare bit of time this afternoon so embarked on a trip to my LFS where a provisional order for the following was placed:

• RSM C-130 in white
  • 15kg of cured live rock
  • 30gallons of ready mixed saltwater

To stop me talking myself out of it, or letting the missus do the same for that matter, I've now also placed an order online for the following:

• Refractometer
  • Test Kits (for all but ebola it would appear! lol)
  • Water Containers
  • Thermometer

Going on what I've read extensively over the past few weeks since that fateful (in a good way) trip to the aquarium for my little boy's first birthday, I've got about all I need to get things setup and let the cycling process do its thing. There are some additional bits I need to probably lay my hands on, namely:

• Powerhead
  • Vacuum Cleaner
  • Fish Nets
  • Magnet Cleaner
  • Brush Sets

So far, it's run me in at about £1100 with approx another £150 on the additional bits in a few weeks time. The only thing I haven't decided on yet is the reef base I'd like, I'm leaning towards Red Sea Reef Base Pink as it's not too fine. Any thoughts absolutely welcome... :)

In terms of livestock, I've got five in mind - although I appreciate four might have to be my limit due to bioload etc.

• Ocellaris Clownfish -Amphiprion Ocellaris x2
  • False Gramma - Pseudochromis Paccagnella (the missus' choice)
  • Benggai Cardinal - Pterapogon Kauderni
  • Flame Angel - Centropyge Loricula (if at all possible....)

Now rather than continue to bore, I'll save the early identified inverts list for another time. Haven't thought too much about corals yet, but I know a few I like the look of but I'm a way off of that right now. The one thing I have learnt is that patience is absolutely key so I won't be rushing anything - and that's thanks to all you guys.

I'll keep this thread updated on progress as soon as I have a bit more to report and will of course post pictures. If I've missed something out that I must have, then please do let me know. Want to get my first foray into saltwater as right as I can.

Cheers! :)

Pat24601

Welcome! I think you are starting out like me. My wife found a local reef store to take our boys too and within a month I had so new tank. :)

Also, very funny about everything except Ebola! I know what you mean. :)

melvis

Thanks Glenn, that was the other base I was looking at and funny enough, where I ordered all my bits from. I'd have been down to the showroom today if it wasn't closed due to a bank holiday in UK tomorrow. Glad to know I'm on right path, albeit with just one foot into the journey. :)

Helps having them on side from what I can see Pat! ;-)

melvis

Thanks Glenn. The Red Sea one is 0.5-1.5mm, are you recommending the larger Special Reef Base over the smaller stuff? Don't want to go too fine if it's going to cause headaches in the future. Cheers

Plans nearly got halted today when I popped into a neighbouring LFS (there's six on same stretch of road near where I live) and I saw an Aquareef 195. Same price, bigger capacity and potential for upgrading a lot easier than RSM. Oh yeah, and more fish too!!!! Lol. That said, watching it leak all over the floor from the sump and the noise it was throwing out didn't do much to sway the 'boss' that maybe we should rethink options. So back to trusty and newish LFS to place order. In fact, despite their livestock costs being slightly higher, the way in which they run their tanks is a league above the other five and fills me with more confidence than the others. They also ran an evening recently that showed how to setup a SW tank, the basics of cycling/testing etc and a raft of other things that also made longer standing other ones look amateur.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have always used the Special Reed Grade, but have read lots of post about smaller gain sizes suspending or sand sifting fish stirring up small grain sizes. The Red Sea sand maybe fine, if you like it... see what others think.

The Caribsea Special Reef Grade Sand, 100's of members use... and always great reviews.

Last edited:

melvis

Special reef grade it is then :)

Cheers mate, it's all coming together nicely and research now being done into potential for an ATO, think it's a useful thing to have. Quite like the Autoaqua Autosmart Top Up Unit or the Tunze Osmolator.

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
Cheers mate, it's all coming together nicely and research now being done into potential for an ATO, think it's a useful thing to have. Quite like the Autoaqua Autosmart Top Up Unit or the Tunze Osmolator.

An ATO was one of my best reef purchases, never had to worry about water levels since.
I have the Tunze 3155, the level controller box is very convenient to have.

Hi,

What LFS do you use?

I off to Charterhouse aquatics this morning to check out a new tank.

Went there for first time earlier this week, wow, what a different LFS to anyone I have seen before, choice of tanks are immense> Was going to go for a 2nd hand tank but now tempted by RSM C130. Also poppers in to Aquatic design centre on Great Portland Street, great range of corals and frags.

melvis

Hi

Been busy so not had a chance to get on here much in last week. Tank not here yet Pat, hopefully collecting from LFS this week. Getting really antsy... lol.

fishpalace - I'm close to Crews Hill which, if you know it, has loads of fish shops on it...they are;

- Wildwoods
- Home Marine (behind Springtime)
- Enfield Aquatics (inside Phoenix Rose - newly opened)
- Aquatic Warehouse
- Maidenhead Aquatics (inside Wyvale)
- another one that doesn't do marine
- sure I've missed another one...

Oh, and there's Waterworld just on A10/M25 at junction 25.

I saw the Red Sea Max in Home Marine but didn't order from there, got it from Enfield Aquatics in the end. Not all have the same tanks, but a trip to each gave me a good flavour and so did this site. I'm hoping to get to Charterhouse soon and may get my ATO whilst I'm there, instead of online.

I think the Red Sea tanks are pretty smart and it won the missus over. There's some good vids on YouTube if you want to see some, or the promo vids. Worth a look.

Good luck! :)

melvis

Well, picked up my RSM on Sunday afternoon and started the cabinet build earlier this afternoon but have had to leave it without the top on as no one around to assist with lifting the tank out of the box. I'm thoroughly peed off as work is now taking over and I doubt very much I'm gonna get round to it until weekend now. :-(

It's given me some time though to work on what ATO I want and have definitely settled on the Tunze 3155, as I don't think I've read anything bad about it - anywhere! lol

Quick question if I may, is live sand actually worth it?

Cheers

Aearin

Most people I've seen including myself cut the front of the box down and pulled it out. Far easier and you can do it on your own (spine permitting).

You'll hear a mix review of live sand everywhere. I was pretty against the idea but opted to use two bags of it for my C-130, it worked out like £3 extra a bag so thought why not. Anything than can help cycle the tank is worth it IMO for the few extra quid.

Looking forward to the pics coming up, i wanted the white one but it dosent go with what else is in the room.

melvis

Cheers Aearin, might have to give that a go later...I've got serious ants in my pants to get this up and running and going through the cycling ASAP lol.

How's the Red Sea Fiji Pink Reef Base working out for you mate? It's not too fine a grain is it?

Few early pics...

The boxes

imagejpg1_zpsf749a1d4.jpg
[/URL]
imagejpg2_zpse80a1a90.jpg
[/URL]

The half built cabinet lol

imagejpg3_zps319c044a.jpg
[/URL]

Hopefully some better ones will be appearing soon.

Cheers

Aearin

Cheers Aearin, might have to give that a go later...I've got serious ants in my pants to get this up and running and going through the cycling ASAP lol.

How's the Red Sea Fiji Pink Reef Base working out for you mate? It's not too fine a grain is it?

It's really good stuff! I had sugar sand in my old tank which i liked but i think it collects crap quicker etc and its harder to mix round cause it all compacts.

The only problem i found with the new stuff is it was extremely dusty when it went in. I used two bags in my C-130 and it took 4-5 days to settle down! After that it was still pretty bad, putting the rock in or any disturbing the sand bed kicked it all up again. Now my tanks been running a few weeks it's all settled down now and seems to have clinged together a bit.

I'd still recommend it as it's not like you can do much with the tank for the first week or two :sleeping:

melvis

Cheers guys, all info/advice much appreciated and tbh, has informed majority of my choices. :)

Have just ordered some Fiji Pink live sand and my Tunze Osmolator 3155! Hoping to get a chance on the weekend to get the rest of the cabinet sorted (didn't get a chance in the end last night) and then the tank put together - which I'm understanding can be a bit of a headache. Hopefully all the bits arrive speedily and I can finally get some water in and get this thing cycling.

Seed

Im in the same boat melvis. Assembly time this weekend! Look forward to seeing how yours goes.