Mantis shrimp?

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hello!:) Since one of the wonderful members enlightened me to the 1 dollar per gallon tank sale i am going to get a tank for a mantis shrimp.. I want a manly aggressive tank..:guns: LOL sweet smiley! not a big one just something for the table in the fish room.
My question is-is there any reason why this would be a problem to hook into my system and what size tank would be ideal for one clown mantis? thankyou!
Any opinions and tips on mantis's are more than appreciated

dmatt88

I think Jason pimpala just bought his at petco

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Built347

Petco.. Ya thanks Jason! again!. you didnt even have to say anything. I just read mitchels thread.. good info in there.

Only crappy part about the sale is the biggest tank the sell for that is 55g.. i asked them the last time they had it.. I thought 200 dollars was a fair price for a 200.... ill take 2 please lol

Built347

Hey Jason! if your out there. is the food a mantis stores in its cave going to be substantial enough to effect my existing system?
I would really rather not set up a stand alone system.. lights, a pump, and some of my newly acquired stockpile of pvc tubing is all i really want to do equipmentwise.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
From the looks of your signature you have enough volume that a mantis tank tied in should have little to no effect on the other system.

Built347

Holy crap!!! I just watched a crazy video.. should I not do a glass tank?

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

PIMPALA

Don't worry bro!

Glass tanks are fine

Yes to frozen food, but you do need to feed them live snails and hermits every so often as well.

No problem plumbing it into your system.

Get the 40 breeder!!!! Best tank for a peacock mantis that they offer. Get a 40lb bag of sand, and some nice flat rock. Make a nice cave. Don't use lights that are too bright (no MH or tons of T5 bulbs) and make sure his cave can get totally dark.

PIMPALA

That's their stock photo, not WYSIWYG. But that's what I have! Ive read several horror stories about LA mantis not living beyond a couple of days though, so I'd consider getting a LFS to order you one, and keeping it a few days to make sure it's ok, and eating.

Or take your chances, and hope LA tales care of you if something happens. Even though their care level says "easy" they still require special attention to remain alive long term. Most die from a bad molt.

ChrisY

I am sorry I have to say it... :) Jason, since you are the mantis guy I am now calling you Jason "Pimp my Shrimp" Pimpala. :)

Built347

I just went and got a tank.. they were out of everything! No 40s...I got the last 20 long.. hopefully this will work for a while..
IMG_20111231_120747.jpg

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk