Mantis shrimp?

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
I don't smell anything... where am I?.... doctor?? Lol.

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

Built347

After thinking about it... this 20 is either going back to the store or in the corner for something later...
In my sleep I had an unhappy mantis yelling at me for putting it in too small of a box. Lol.. "a 20 is too small!!" It yells... so I called a dif PETCO and they have a 40 left.. TO THE PETSTORE!

Built347

Nahh.. I save that for when I have to get expensive corals home quick...lol

PIMPALA

For $20 save the tank for something else!

Mine lived in a 20L for several months, and only jumped out once. LOL

They get more shipments of tanks every week. I they are out of 40s, just ask them what day they get their shipment, and hit it in the afternoon that day.

And no, I would not use a pair of 10k T5s. I'd run 100% actinic bulbs if you can. Heck, a pair of T8 bulbs would be plenty. You do NOT want too much light, and don't want it too white.

Built347

Will I be able to see all of he/she's colors under only actinics?

PIMPALA

They will stand out just like the colors on corals. If you do a 40 breeder, get a 4 bulb T5 and do 3 blues and 1 white. Or a pair of blues, a purple or pink, and a white.

If you only do 2 bulbs, make one blue, and the other purple or
Pink.

You don't want too much white light on a mantis tank.

Built347

OK. So a mantis will glow under actinics like coral.. that's pretty awesome... I was hoping my mandarin would glow but it doesn't..

PIMPALA

Well, doesn't exactly "glow" but I have a 4 bulb T5 on mine with the blue/purple/white/blue setup, and I can see mine great!

Built347

Too bad you live so far jason.. you could pimp my shrimp..
just got back from petco.. google lies about holiday hours.. so ya they had just closed..

something else lightwise i wanted to run by you.. what about one of those led deals that look like a screw in flood light.. rapid sells them.. maybe hang it 10 or 12" over the tank??

or maybe one of the marineland freshwater led bars.. they are cheap and nutless.. thinking that may be just the right amount of light.
I want to start weening everything over to led as i can afford it.. I like the "set it and forget it" rather than replacing bulbs every year.

PIMPALA

I honestly think that marineland LED setup would be perfect!! You could do a 24" one over a 40 breeder, and still grow some shrooms and zoas in there.

Built347

You can grow Zoe's under the singlebright freshwater led bar? Awesome! That's what ill get then.

PIMPALA

Oops. Didn't see u said "freshwater". I haven't seen that one. I've only seen the "reef" one from marineland.

Built347

There just less lights in the same case as the reef lights .. I'm sure from what u were saying they will be fine for the mantis..maybe not some coral tho.

PIMPALA

The mantis doesn't even "need" that much light honestly. YOU need it to see him. Lol

As long as the tank is lit up, you will be fine. And nothing wrong with trying a couple of frags. GSP, colt corals, Kenya trees, most leathers and shrooms should be ok in most any light.

Built347

Awesome!! Good advise!. Thanks "pimp my shrimp"! For pimping my shrimp..

PIMPALA

if you plumb it in to the existing system... its not another tank. its just more "display area."