Made to order live-rock

kospaintball

Well... i've built my live rock facility... i've been making roughly 25lbs a day kinda messin around with it (able to make 100lbs a day or so) Built my big box to make the shapes of rock i want. Have 3 45g tanks for the rock to cure.

but to the point of the matter.

If anyone wants and live rock that is a certain shape or if you really want a rock with a nice cave in it, what ever it is you want. Just let me know and i will make it for you. I've figured out the prices i will need to charge so just pm me if you want something.

also managed to work out if you want a natural frag rack or maybe something to hide the returns.

Thanks
-Ben-

kospaintball

i would have to charge 1.50 or so per lb for it to even be worth it. I have to put in lbs of salt that get disolved and im not charging for the weight of the rock with the salt in it. i will be charging after it is cured so you will save like 50% because the salt is gone.

i can post some pics tom. its 2 am and im whooped.

also if you want me to make some that resemble tonga branch i have figured out how to make the smooth outside and very pourous inside.

kospaintball

yeah, i mix in rock salt. I bought a very large grain of rock salt then i break them down into 3 different sizes so that you get a variety of different size holes into your rock.

kospaintball

Pics as promised
This one is branch shaped but is "rough" all the way through
2010-02-21183407.jpg

This one is still branched but has a "smooth" solid skin and pourous inside.
2010-02-21183553.jpg

This is a rock that has a solid out side wall and top with a nice cave on the inside.
2010-02-21184310.jpg

Here is one of the boulder shape rocks that i have made
2010-02-21183816.jpg

And then on this one, i know it is hard to see but i built it in stages and built tunnels all through it.

2010-02-21184336.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
VERY cool work buddy :)

I'm gonna be watching this thread VERY closely :)

Is this "portland" Live Rock?

kospaintball

yes sir.
I know that all my stuff is grey or greyish lol but i didn't have the white portland availiable at my local hardware stores. Im sure i could order it in if someone REALLY REALLY wanted it but it was much more cost effective to just buy the grey one.

besides most of the live rock i see is a dark color and after coralline grows on it and its all cover by coral and algae it wont make a difference

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm seriously thinking about this project for my big tank. I'd probably need/want the white portland though. Have you tested your batches to see what the estimated curing time is? I'm curious to see how long it takes to get the majority of the chemicals leeched out of the "Rock".

kospaintball

I'm located in north Alabama everyone else who has made any says 2-3 weeks I would want to do a minimum of 3 here but if you want to cure it I can clean the salt out and you can take it then. As far as leaking chems the only thing I have found anyone says it leaks is limestone.

kospaintball

let me see if i can locate some white portland cement. If i can im going to mix it, like make 2 batches at the same time 1 white 1 grey and put them in the mold at the same time see how that comes out. (marbled live rock)

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Hey when/if you get those rock overflow covers made, post some pics. Curious to see how they turn out.

The marbled rock sounds cool.

kospaintball

Tomorrow I'm going to head over to this local masonry store and see if I can get some white. If I can I will have pics posted Wednesday and then after salt Friday. Let me know about any rock you guys might want made. Ask if you have any questions also