Macron's Red Sea Max 130d

Macron

Thanks for the comments! I really like the halloween hermit. I thought I would compile a livestock list.

Fish
- Bangaii Cardinal Fish
- Yellow Watchman Goby

Invertebrates
- 1 Margarite Snail
- 1 Cerith Snail
- 1 Mystery Snail (Black and white body & shell similar to astrea)
- 7 Astrea Snails
- 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- 1 Emerald Crab
- 2 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
- 1 Halloween Hermit Crab

So far I have done 1 water change and plan to do 1 ~15% water change every 2 weeks. I am just now starting to run the skimmer as the bioload is starting to build. I think my next move will be to add 7 more astreas to my CUC and go from there.

Macron

My yellow watchman goby has been swimming at the top of the water column all day. I went to the gym and when I came back he was in the skimmer cup swimming like michael phelps in an endless pool. I got him out and he continued to swim at the top of the water column, occasionally getting caught against the skimmer grates. I eventually got my fish net and scooped the goby into it so he would rest. It is now set up so the net is suspended and the goby is resting in the net. I hope he will recover.

Macron

Do you think a water change will help? He was fine yesterday and last night. He was resting on the bottom most of the time.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
do some testing... make sure no ammonia, water change could help... if everything is fine, some fish enjoy playing in the skimmer cup, have read lots of post where they do... I would get him out of the net / stress

Macron

just tested for ammonia. Its at zero - think I should still do a water change? I am sure he wasn't playing in the skimmer cup, probably got stuck up against the grate and fell in trying to release himself. I think I accomplished my goal of getting him to rest so I am going to put him back.

Macron

I planned on starting out slow and see how it went from doing 5 gallon water changes every other friday. When I let him out he chilled on the bottom for a little while and now he is back at the top of the water column. He is resting on my koralia and not sucked up against the skimmer grate so that is good news. If I see him stuck to the skimmer grate again however, I am going to let him rest in the net again; he seemed to be fine resting in it and was not freaking out.

artpics

my yellow goby done this for the first week in and out of the skimmer cup maybe 12 times he was only half an inch long.

you could get a tiger pistol shrimp they will pair up immediately and live happily ever after under the rocks while keeping the sand bed turned over.

sig.php

Macron

yeah he is a little guy, but he just gets sucked up against the outside of the skimmer grate and stays there helplessly. I ended up putting him back in the net because I do not want him to die like that. I was looking into a pistol shrimp they look really cool. Think it would eat my cleaner shrimp?

artpics

not to sure mine is very peaceful just stays at the bottom shoveling sand they really are a great pair.

Macron

good news. I woke up today and checked on the goby and he was calmly resting on the bottom of the net. I let him out and he has been staying on the bottom all day. He even found a little crevice in the rocks to hide in. I am sure he is going to make it.

Macron

So I have been researching LED lighting to put into my 130d and think I have finally found an answer. I found the Ecoxotic Panorama Pro modules online and they seem like a legitimate option. Each strip has 12 LEDs driven at 19W, which is about 1.5 watts per LED. I couldn't imagine running 3 watt LEDs at full power from my hood anyways. Here is a video for them.

[video=youtube;cMIMwV0BD60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMIMwV0BD60[/video]

I think I will install 2 modules in the hood and see how it goes. I am thinking 1 12K/blue and a blue/magenta maybe. I don't really want to grow SPS and Clams so I am sure they will work out.

Macron

I decided to take the plunge on the on the LED setup - 1 strip of Blue/magenta and 1 strip of 12k/blue. I will remove the PC bulbs all together and replace them with the 2 panorama pros. No idea how it will turn out but they have been ordered.

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
Those panoramas look like nice units, I hope they work out for you

sent from Stretch's DROID X using Tapatalk

Macron

Thanks I hope they do to. I was told that they will be giving off more light than the stock 55w PCs so I am cool with that. I really want LED because I wont have to buy replacement bulbs for a looonng time and it will cut down on power consumption and heat. As long as my softies and LPS can grow I will be happy.

In other news my aiptasia swat team arrived today; 3 berghia nudibranchs. I also found a hitchhiker clam that I had never seen before on the live rock from the 12 gallon, but it has obviously been there for a long time. I would take a picture but it is covered up by a ricordea.

My main concern right now is figuring out how I am going to wire the LEDs into the hood. Anyone know if there is any way to hook them up into the existing timer in the stock hood or will I pretty much have to run the lights straight from a wall outlet? I would prefer the lights hooked up so that I can turn them on and off through the main control panel.