Macor's RSM 250 build

macor64

Hey guys,

So, I've been reading a ton and scouring the forums for gems of advice and info. My RSM250 arrives in about 2-3 days and I'm getting jazzed to get it going. I'm basically a noob at this and, although it is a big investment, the boss (ahem....the wife) has assured me that we are good to go on the project. I think she's just as jazzed as I am, but won't admit it! :girlthumb:

Once the RSM arrives, I'll start posting pics and updates. Some might get a laugh out of my inexperience and the mistakes I'll make at first, but ... that's just part of learning. I hope to get good advice from the folks on the forum on coral and fish selections.

looking forward to it!

kungfu6.jpg

tnwillia

Welcome to RS!

Go slow with your tank and it will thank you down the road, Have fun with it!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm only a few months ahead of you. You'll get lots of hints and help here. Welcome to the RSM Club!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
:welcomera

For most of us this has been our first foray into the world of saltwater aquariums so you are not alone! Remember to take it slow and ask a lot of questions. Post pics of things you have questions about and folks will be more than willing to jump in and help you out.

Greg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Thanks for start a tank thread, look forward to seeing your tank & feel free to ask any questions you come up with, lots great members here will help :dance:

macor64

can anybody tell me the difference between red sea coral pro salt and red sea coral prol salt mix?
any suggestions on testing kits ?

regards

kungfu6.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Either! Haha. Just check the salinity. Invest now in a hydrometer/refracto to check the mix. Welcome yo the reef keepers world. Open the wallet!

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

macor64

went out looking for good ro/di deals at local places...boy was I wrong! :) bulkreefsupply to the rescue. Order my ro/di from them and it's on it's way.

dmatt88

Funny. I got tired of looking for stuff to get mine working so I just did the same thing today.

macor64

need some advice folks: thinking about how I want to get saltwater, after mixing in a tub, to the reef tank without using a bucket. I've read about using a submersible water pump with a hose to the tank to achieve this. how long of a hose and which type of submersible pump would be a good fit? I expect to have the mixed salt water about 10 feet away from the tank.

dmatt88

I use an old powerhead with 1/2 inch rubber hose. Not the most powerful and quick but works easy n cheap.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
need some advice folks: thinking about how I want to get saltwater, after mixing in a tub, to the reef tank without using a bucket. I've read about using a submersible water pump with a hose to the tank to achieve this. how long of a hose and which type of submersible pump would be a good fit? I expect to have the mixed salt water about 10 feet away from the tank.

Something like this:

Danner Mag-Drive Supreme Water Pump

For only 10 feet, you won't need much to push the water only 10 feet.

tnwillia

I use a Maxi-jet 1800. I have 2 20 gal Brutes on wheels, one to mix salt, one to empty tank water. I Drain the tank into one Brute roll it to the tub to drain. Roll my mixed salt Brute to the tank and pump the new water in, then it rolls to the Tub. The pump lets me do the water change in 15 minutes. Have fun!

macor64

dry live rock? cheaper...and from what I've read from others..cleaner? vs. live rock? of course, a mix of both is where I'm leaning. not opposed to doing all of either. I will admit dry live is appealing