Looking for an overflow?

the register

Sorry for the lack of response, I thought I'd subscribed to this thread. I guess not...

I'm looking for something just like the one demoed in the video on Acrylic Overflow Aquarium

When I said 4 sides I meant all 4 sides plus a bottom. Basically a sturdy acrylic box with a hole in it, which instead of siliconing or gluing the overflow to the tank, I could just attach it to my bulkhead.

The main benefits being I can take it out of the tank to clean it (I have an acrylic tank that doesn't have a totally open tank, limiting the ability to get into a small overflow) and since my tank isn't 100% level I can slightly tinker with the angle of the overflow, without being tied to it permanently being crooked.

Hopefully that's a little more clear.

I'll measure and shoot you a PM tomorrow or this weekend.

HOB pshaw ;)

Jeremy0322

Haha ok. When are you moving? i think ill have to wait for next paycheck.. spending way too much lately.

Well, I actually got a hit back today on someone that wants me there within 2 weeks, so its a possibility but I highly doubt that one, I am assuming late July or early August I will have to shut down operations.

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

nice work... (pic from 4-15-09)
i wonder does yer grandad have access to a water-jet? those notches have very cleanly cut inside corners..... im impressed and would like to know more.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Man, I'm somehow in reefsanctuary limbo or something, anyway, re-posting what I posted earlier. Forgive me if this shows up as a double.
---
The problem is your new and posting links in your posts. The server picks up new members who post links to avoid spam and such. It will take a few regular posts without links before it trusts your not a spammer.
Welcome to RS! A family friendly reef environment :)

the register

The problem is your new and posting links in your posts. The server picks up new members who post links to avoid spam and such. It will take a few regular posts without links before it trusts your not a spammer.
Welcome to RS! A family friendly reef environment :)

Fair enough. Didn't notice the "waiting on moderator" message til I did the 2nd one. Oh well (again).

Btw earlier I'd seen someone mention Krylon fusion. I currently have my dual-elbow herbie style overflow painted with black krylon fusion. Painting all the pvc was a pain (the nozzle kept clogging), but it has held up pretty well for 9 months or so.

novanosis

nice work... (pic from 4-15-09)
i wonder does yer grandad have access to a water-jet? those notches have very cleanly cut inside corners..... im impressed and would like to know more.

That is mine, Wohoo and it is very well done. I have it installed on my 40 right now.

Jeremy0322

Sorry about that, it was supposed to be August and not May, i have someone wanting me to move in somewhere in like less than 2 weeks though, so that was where the may came in.

StirCrazy - Yea, those overflows in my tanks were made using a water jet, they are awesome, I could order one out but it would take a week or so and not be the cheapest thing in the world, but its do-able for a fair price. If you are interested PM me and we will talk. The funny thing about the water jet is this stuff is so strong because of its ability to flex, but when cutting it its fairly easy to cut. I make all my cuts with a circular saw and if I need to make teeth I can just use a router and it works fine, you can cut it just like acrylic, its just much stronger.

Nguyen - You can order someone in advance and then once I get payment I just ship it out next day. You just have to be sure your taking it, I dont want to build something and then have someone bail, that would make me sad.

Nova - You got PM, cause I have no idea what those dimensions are. :lol: It may just be that its late and I just got done re-gluing my headliner in my car to the roof, for some reason I like doing those type of projects at night, its beautiful outside right now.

And...I think I replied to everyone haha

Jeremy0322

Alright, figured I would throw a few pics of finished projects, first one is the scrubber box thats done and second is actually a splash guard for a sump.

IMG_7627.jpg

IMG_7628.jpg

Jeremy0322

How does that scrubber work? 2 screens?

I believe he is going to have it running off of one of the really small mag drive pumps and it will be mounted right above the fuge, so water goes up into the mixing box, and then through the holes and then over the center screen holder that just slides in. There will be a screen on each side, and a light for each one. This way you can clean one side of it and leave the other one alone so you arent getting rid of everything at once, plus I am thinking you can just attach it at the top of the screen and leave the bottom of screen to dangle, and get algae growth on both sides, meaning you actually have 4 sides instead of 2. I will get another picture of it up later once the screens and everything are in.