Lights

greenhorn

Hi All,

I am 5 weeks in & getting some hair/tree like algae. I think it might be because I have my bright lights on to long. 7am-10pm. opps ;-)

How long is optimal?

thanx
-Eric

There was recently a poll done by another poster here and it seemed like people were all over the Board. 7-10 does sound a bit long to me. I'd recommend something more like 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. or something like that.

Keep in mind, though, that algae is not necessarily a bad thing (it means you're sustaining life) and also is food for the clean-up crew and some fish.

tnwillia

Welcome to RS! IMO shoot for 9 hours max on the main lights. The blue LEDs can run 24/7. Have fun!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Algae is the direct result of excess nutrients in a favorable growing condition.

Evaluate:

• WHAT you're feeding
  • HOW you're feeding
  • WHEN you're feeding

Also look into your:

• SOURCE water
  • Water change schedule and amount
  • Clean Up Crew
  • Bio-Load of the system

What are your current water test results?

The more you can tell us about your tank and habits the better equipped we are to offer advise for your system.

greenhorn

OK,

Just testing: it's been a week.

1.025 for salt. Trying to bring it down slowly. Started at .026
Ammonia=0
PH might of gone down just a tad to just under 8.0
Nitrite I also think it's just starting to creep up maybe. past yellow but not much. Call it .4
Nitrate has always been 12.5.

Started 5 weeks ago with the LR. Added (2) black clowns about a week and 1/2 ago along with 5 hermit crabs.

Friday I added a flame angle cleaner shrimp & 5 snails. The angel has yet to eat well & I might be trying to hard and feeding a bit much.

Will do 25% water change tomorrow. Did 10% 5 days ago.
I really think it's a bit over feeding & way to much light.

I so far have been buying my water with the salt from the fish stores. I am adding fresh from my cullagin RO water I have been using for the family. Not DI. Maybe I need to test that?

Will take whatever advice you have ;-) starting from scratch really. it's been 20 years since I had a 70 gallon saltwater that I used to added Morton's to!