Lights keep going out!

isoterix

Has anyone ever had this problem???

When my lights come on one of the bulbs is usually out.
If I tap the lid it will either come on or they both go out.
And if I have them both on for awhile one of the bulbs sometimes
kicks out again!

A series of taps and switching eventually gets them both working, but
I need a permanent fix.

The bulbs are less then 2 months old, and they are made by Red Sea.

I opened the lid to check if its loose wiring, but everything looks good and tight.

I'm not home to watch for this all the time so I am extremely worried.
I've already written Pinky, but i think the warranty is only 1 year and I'm a month over that.

Any ideas????

Thanks guys!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Carter - Steve (Shamus) should be able to give you some ideas... check out his tank thread - has a similar problem.

jpsika08

Carter,
You have some internal problem, first I would suggest to leaveit off and stop the tapping or might cause some permanent damage :)

Maybe a loose cable or bad ballast, as Glenn said, Steve (Shamus) has the same problem and his ahead of info on the matter, he can give you a wide perspective of possible causes.

Good luck :thumbup:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If it's not in the wiring, you might have a bad bulb with a bad bulb connector. That may be why the one is often off or why they both shut of at times. Just a guess. Maybe a bad ballast would cause that - another guess.

Shamus

Sounds like it might either be a loose bulb or maybe the ballast is going. Hope you get it sorted. If it's still an issue, you can contact Pinky at Red Sea to order any parts.

EDIT: Looks like you're in Canada (sorry I didn't look at that first). Not sure who your Red Sea sales/technical rep would be...

isoterix

I've had to deal with Pinky before, she is good with us up North.
She replied and also said if could be the timer, I doubt it but I'll replace it all just in case.

My bulbs are Red Sea she is going to replace at least one of those as well because it is only 2 months old.

The bulbs are pushed in all the way I made certain of that.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what her response is to my last email asking for the bulbs, timer, and light sockets.

I will probably have to pay for the sockets and timer because I am 57 days past my warranty.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Seems like a few are having problems right after the warranty has expired. Good luck on getting it fixed - let us know.

isoterix

Update!

After emailing Pinky back and forth I finally called her and she is replacing the bulbs because they are under 2 months old, sending the sockets at no cost, and also the timer which is only $20.

I'm glad I bought a Red Sea because they take care of you there.

So now I have to wait.

Hopefully they get here fast.

Shamus

Good deal and another great example of good customer service! Hope it gets fixed in short order!

isoterix

Received the package from Red Sea yesterday, and went to work installing it today.
I replaced the timer, light sockets, and bulbs. And it all seems to be working great so far.
It wasn't too hard, it took just over half an hour.

I'm still thinking it was the sockets. It definitely was not loose wiring, and I highly doubt it was the timer.

Hopefully I fixed whatever it was!