Lethals RSM 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nowellsy SNR

+ 1

Like Glenn says dry foam tends to stick at the top of your skimmer Neck, Wet foam will trickle down the skimmer Neck causing much more water waste in the collection cup i think im right correct me if im not

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks guys, I understand the foam now.

Should I set the skimmer to produce a dry or wet foam or something in between?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 Something in between is probably what to try to achieve

I like my skimmer cup to be like 1/3 to 1/2 full every 3 or 4 days... so I shoot for that...

lethal

Hiya all. Not that much to report as the tank has only been cycling for 1 week. I have seen a few hitchikers appear and have posted photos in the hope that they can be identified (remember I am new at this). Please excuse the image quality as I am still playing around with the camera.

The 1st pic looks like a Christmas Tree Worm?
The 2nd has a green tentacle thing in the centre of the pic which closes into a tight ball after lights out and some yellow eggs of some description.
The 3rd has some sort of green fungus. Excuse the non technical terms:goofy:

I have been testing the water every two days but don't seem to be getting much of a spike for Ammonia or Nitrite. Water parameters after week 1 are as follows:

Salinity - 1.026
Amm - .25
Nitrite - .25
Nitrate - 10
pH - 8.2
Cal - 540
PO4 - .25
Alk 11dkh

Do these figures look reasonably normal?

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

P1040175.jpg

hallie

Hi Matey,

Water params look fine give it a week or so and I reckon you will have Amm and rite at zero. Calcium is high but will drop as corals/coraline use it up.

I cant tell what the first pic is, try and get a more focused pic. I dont think is a christmas tree worm though. It looks pretty...

Second pic I am 99.999% sure is a Majano anenome, not somthing you want in the tank, They breed quickly similar to Aptasia and will sting corals when you put them in the tank. Wait until a few more ppl have a look and confirm it is Majano then nuke it with Joes juice or somthing similar ( if ya cant get joes juice make a calk paste and inject that into it to kill it).

Third pic I reckon is a sponge of some sort. I was thinking algae/sponge but the larger, roundish one makes me think its sponge...nothing to worry about.

Wheres the FTS? :hammerhea

Cheers

Tim

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good ID possibilities by hallie. I'm not sure on any of them. The first might even be a barnacle, if not a Christmas Tree Worm or other feather duster type. The second could very well be a clump of a couple Majano anemones - rather than take a chance they're something else I'd get rid of them now. I've been fighting Majanos since the beginning - I left them in too long and now I have them all over. The yellow things may be sponges or tunicates ot something else - I doubt they're eggs. The 3rd pic may be a green sponge as hallie was thinking, but I'm not sure on that one - could be some type of macroalgae, as hallie also guessed. The green color would fit an algae better.

lethal

Thanks guys. I don't want to take the risk and get off to a bad start so I have ordered some Joe's Juice from the states. Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive.

The kids will be upset as it was their favourite thing in the tank at the moment. Pretty but nasty.

Oakhouse

Used Joes Juice, and found it messy, and forever gunking up in the syringe. Aiptasia-X has worked perfectly for me. Did try Peppermints but ending up getting Lysmata Ruthbunae, now I know better.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Same opinion here on the Aiptasia-X. It kills Majanos and Aiptasia, and doesn't drift all over like Joe's Juice & similar do.

lethal

Thanks for the heads up people. I should have read your replies before I ordered Joe's Juice. Oh well, if that doesn't succeed i'll go for the Aiptasia-x. I dare say that after a while i'll have a huge concoction of treatments in the cabinet anyway.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Leigh - the Joe's Juice will work - it just tends to drift a lot, so cut the circulation pumps off for a few minutes before and after applying it. I once used it, added too much, and the excess JJ drifted onto some neaby zoas and killed several. The Aiptasia-X tends to stay where you put it.

lethal

My Joe's Juice hasn't shown up yet. It's coming from the USA so I probably won't see it for a while. Just hoping that Majano? doesn't get too energetic and plant some neighbours.

I found this hitchiker the other night and am not sure what it is. It tends to move about because sometimes it goes into hiding. It has a tentacle type top that retracts at night and a snail like base. Very white in colour.

Anyone have any clues?

RSM2500000.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.