Lethals RSM 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
After all the queries and great advice from this forum, at LAST I'm up and running. The tank has had water mixing in it for a week and the live rock went in yesterday. Haven't seen any hitchikers yet but it is early days.

I'm certainly glad that I have a chiller as the temps were getting quite high. All was fine until the skimmer was switched on and up they went. I keep it at 26-27C - is this a good temp to aim for?

I am very happy with the noise levels. The cooling fans and chiller are the noisiest part but certainly not overbearing. I have an internal pump fitted into the right hand pump chamber and I removed the RS pump - good advice from Tinwillia. It is very quiet. I think the flow has been reduced but I am hoping to get a Vortech MP40W in the near future.

In the meantime, here are a few pics. Please feel free to comment or make suggestions as this is my first reef tank and all advice is greatly appreciated.

P1040158.jpg

P1040161.jpg

P1040168.jpg

P1040163.jpg

Hailea 1/4 Hp Chiller
P1040164.jpg

RO/DI Unit
P1040181.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice setup Leigh! 26-27 C (78.8F - 80.6 F) should be fine in my opinion. As we head towards winter, you folks are approaching summer. I guess it must be spring time there?

hallie

WOOOOOHOOOOO...congratz Leigh. Im glad to see it up and running (finally).

26-27 is perfect.

Is it a bit smelly? A few days after I added my rock I was almost scared to come home because of the smell.

I deffnitley reckon more flow would be good especially with the way you have your rockwork. I have an unused 3000lph koralia copy u can borrow if ya want until you get your vortech,

Oakhouse

Great start! +1 on the more flow.. I currently have the smallest tunze nanostream (6015 i think, 1500lph)... I need more.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
lethal - nice pics, very pretty rock \ aquascape, you are on your way now... thanks for sharing, always fun to see & follow another beautiful RSM ! :)

pocketreef

The doors are well aligned, here it was a real pain.

I'm thinking about picking a chiller Hailea too but less powerfull.:snow: Any other comments on it?

lethal

Nice setup Leigh! 26-27 C (78.8F - 80.6 F) should be fine in my opinion. As we head towards winter, you folks are approaching summer. I guess it must be spring time there?

Yes Terry, it is Spring here but it feels like summer at the moment. We've just had a week of mid 30's. With a room temperature of 22c and the lights off, the tank still gets to 27c. Thank goodness for chillers!

lethal

WOOOOOHOOOOO...congratz Leigh. Im glad to see it up and running (finally).

26-27 is perfect.

Is it a bit smelly? A few days after I added my rock I was almost scared to come home because of the smell.

I deffnitley reckon more flow would be good especially with the way you have your rockwork. I have an unused 3000lph koralia copy u can borrow if ya want until you get your vortech,

Yeah, the rock is super stinky. I got it from Ernie at Reeflections on Sunday so it is probably from the same batch as yours. Great shapes but alas no hitchikers that I can see.

Thanks for the offer of the extra powerhead but I think i'll talk nicely to Santa about that Vortech.

lethal

The doors are well aligned, here it was a real pain.

I'm thinking about picking a chiller Hailea too but less powerfull.:snow: Any other comments on it?

I'm happy with the chiller so far - not as noisy as I thought. It comes on at 27C and pulls the temp. down to 26 within about 5 minutes. Doesn't take long for the temps. to creep back up though:cursin:

lethal

Cheers. I am aware of the rebate and I am just waiting for my membership card to come through.

lethal

Thanks Tammy, I hope you're right.

It's all a bit daunting at the moment. I have just read an article on here regarding Calc and Alk dosing. Hadn't even given any of that a thought even though I have test kits for it. So much to learn.

Dweezil

Thanks Tammy, I hope you're right.

It's all a bit daunting at the moment. I have just read an article on here regarding Calc and Alk dosing. Hadn't even given any of that a thought even though I have test kits for it. So much to learn.

I felt the same way when I first started. I had a saltwater tank many many years ago but it was FO. Reefs are in a different league. I read so much I thought my head would explode but you'll be surprised how much you actually retain and soon enough it will be second nature to you. I can't say it's easy, (but gets easier as you go) it's allot of work but IMO very rewarding work so I enjoy it and you will too.

lethal

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I am having a few problems with microbubbles at the moment. I have the skimmer gate set approx. 2cm below the top and the water level in the rear on the optimum mark. They are definitely coming from the skimmer as when I turn it off they disappear totally.

I am running the stock filter pads, carbon and bio-balls.

I am also having fun (not) adjusting the skimmer. The foam that it produces is very white and I cannot really determine what is a wet or dry foam. It does stink though. Can anyone enlighten me?

Status
Not open for further replies.